Perine Quote

Your reading comprehension is laughable, and your use of hyperbole is noted.

UT held the series lead for a very long time, primarily because you guys completed owned us back before electricity and integration. Since then, UF has more than held its own.

But yeah....1990 and all that....

I wouldn't trade UF's history post-1990 for what you guys accomplished up until that point...not in a million years.

OK, great. I don't know what we are arguing about then. The rest of the SEC is enjoying the WORST period in the program's HISTORY. If we can miraculously get back to what is UT's historical standard, the records can flip rather quickly.

you know what makes a rivalry? hate. or at least a really strong disliking due to having some semblance of respect for the opponents ability to compete with you.

This was my point earlier, basically.

What builds hate? Losing and having to go to work and take a bunch of crap from people you work with all year.

If you live in Nashville, I don’t think you are hearing it too much from Gator people. And if you live in Orlando, not sure how much grief you catch from Tennessee fans.

For a Gator, losing to Miami, FSU, or Georgia is a much different deal.

I know Gators in South Florida who would gladly allow Tennessee to name the score if they could give Miami an epic butt whippin

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence Wright
OK, great. I don't know what we are arguing about then. The rest of the SEC is enjoying the WORST period in the program's HISTORY. If we can miraculously get back to what is UT's historical standard, the records can flip rather quickly.

For sake of argument, the 90’s was about as good as you’ve ever had it and we were beating you then too.

You don’t know what we were arguing about, because only one of us was arguing.

No one expects UT to be down forever.

Reactions: jeff1vol
For sake of argument, the 90’s was about as good as you’ve ever had it and we were beating you then too.

Like I said... Enjoy. Make sure to stick around when the day comes (and it will) where UF is the laughing stock again. It has happened to EVERY team in this conference, and fortunately UT fans and alum have enjoyed decades of success before sinking to the bottom where we presently flounder.
To be one of only 3 teams (now two) to have NEVER lost 8 games in a season until just a couple of years ago was a good run, don't you think? Some of you must be awfully young. You'll gain healthy respect for history as you get older.

Like I said... Enjoy. Make sure to stick around when the day comes (and it will) where UF is the laughing stock again. It has happened to EVERY team in this conference, and fortunately UT fans and alum have enjoyed decades of success before sinking to the bottom where we presently flounder.

To be one of only 3 teams (now two) to have NEVER lost 8 games in a season until just a couple of years ago was a good run, don't you think? Some of you must be awfully young. You'll gain healthy respect for history as you get older.

I'm in my 50s, and I have a decent understanding and respect for CFB's history.

Thanks for asking to see my ID.

UF had 4-win seasons twice in the past six years....only problem is UT has been worse. We've more than done our part to let you guys back in the series.

Regarding those olden days you keep harkening back to, I hope you have a healthy respect and understanding of the SEC's demographics from 1950 to 2019.

The state of Florida wasn't close to being the population giant and hotbed of high school talent it is now. That genie is out of the bottle, so while UF might be down for a year or two, we're usually no worse than a couple coaching hires away from being competitive again.

Last edited:
I'm in my 50s, and I have a decent understanding and respect for CFB's history.

Thanks for asking to see my ID.

UF had 4-win seasons twice in the past six years....only problem is UT has been worse. We've more than done our part to let you guys back in the series.

Regarding those olden days you keep harkening back to, I hope you have a healthy respect and understanding of the SEC's demographics from 1950 to 2019.

The state of Florida wasn't close to being the population giant and hotbed of high school talent it is now. That genie is out of the bottle, so while UF might be down for a year or two, we're usually no worse than a couple coaching hires away from being competitive again.

I think that most UT fans know that Florida/Tennessee is NOT a rivalry anymore than Alabama/Tennessee is still a rivalry. Our only rivals in the SEC right now are Kentucky, maybe South Carolina, and .uhhh....that's it. Everybody else pretty much owns us. If Pruitt doesn't turn this program around, I believe it's done. BTW, I'm probably a little older than you and followed the Vols since 1969. The good news is that there are better players now in the state of Tennessee. The bad news is most have never heard of great Vol football, esp. in the mid-state. A reasonable goal for the Big Orange this year is to beat Vandy, Kentucky, and either South Carolina, Miss State or Missouri. If they beat two of those last three SEC teams I mentioned along with Vandy and KY, then maybe we might start talking a little more about so-called rivals from 10-20 years ago.

Reactions: knoxvol16
The good thing is we have a weaker OOC schedule this year and should win all 4. Thst means we can win 3 SEC games, look much improved in the others, and with a 7 and 5 finish and a bowl game, Pruitt will show good progress and bank another top 15 recruiting class...keeping the program on an upward trajectory.

Personally, I think with a little luck keeping our starters healthy, we can win 8 regular season games...go 4 and 4 in the SEC, and have a possible 9 win season with the bowl game. 8 and 4 regular season puts Pruitt in the discussion for SEC coach of the year as long as our losses arent blowouts other than Bama. I also think with an 8 win reg season, a big shot QB committed this cycle, and a pair of 5 star tackles on the Oline as freshmen....we can land a top 10 recruiting class and be in a position to start challenging for the east again every year, as well as being ranked in the top 25. It is all possible, and perhaps even likely, if we can just handle our business on the field this year and win 7 or hopefully 8 games.

I know this is optimistic, and there will be negas here immediately with their BVS to tell me that our team is crap and we will be lucky to go 6 and 6 with a trip to the toilet bowl. I see mucho potential in this young team though, and believe we finally have a coaching staff that is top 5 in our conference...for the 1st time post Fulmer.

Shoot, if I was trying to build an SEC team from scratch, and had 2DBs that were freshmen all SEC, 2 five star Tackles, and lots of young talent at QB, RB, and WR...I would say that's a great way to start. Remember guys, Pruitt brought in 13 big eaters by my count last cycle...those kids will be stronger year over year for the next 3. I am excited about our program now, and willing to be patient enough for it to succeed.

Tennessee didn't consider it a rivalry either... before Spurrier showed up. The silly Gators were another doormat sec team, PERIOD! It's cyclical. Hopefully, we get back to the way it should be. Florida sucking!
Florida has been a rival since Dickey left 50 years ago to go to Gainesville. We lost the last 4 games to them 76.77, 84 and 85 before SOS came.

Reactions: Remy
The good thing is we have a weaker OOC schedule this year and should win all 4. Thst means we can win 3 SEC games, look much improved in the others, and with a 7 and 5 finish and a bowl game, Pruitt will show good progress and bank another top 15 recruiting class...keeping the program on an upward trajectory.

Personally, I think with a little luck keeping our starters healthy, we can win 8 regular season games...go 4 and 4 in the SEC, and have a possible 9 win season with the bowl game. 8 and 4 regular season puts Pruitt in the discussion for SEC coach of the year as long as our losses arent blowouts other than Bama. I also think with an 8 win reg season, a big shot QB committed this cycle, and a pair of 5 star tackles on the Oline as freshmen....we can land a top 10 recruiting class and be in a position to start challenging for the east again every year, as well as being ranked in the top 25. It is all possible, and perhaps even likely, if we can just handle our business on the field this year and win 7 or hopefully 8 games.

I know this is optimistic, and there will be negas here immediately with their BVS to tell me that our team is crap and we will be lucky to go 6 and 6 with a trip to the toilet bowl. I see mucho potential in this young team though, and believe we finally have a coaching staff that is top 5 in our conference...for the 1st time post Fulmer.

Shoot, if I was trying to build an SEC team from scratch, and had 2DBs that were freshmen all SEC, 2 five star Tackles, and lots of young talent at QB, RB, and WR...I would say that's a great way to start. Remember guys, Pruitt brought in 13 big eaters by my count last cycle...those kids will be stronger year over year for the next 3. I am excited about our program now, and willing to be patient enough for it to succeed.
It doesn’t matter what our scheduled games are if the players don’t play and the coaches don’t coach.
All teams on our schedule this year are beatable with a solid game plan with solid execution.

If the players perform like high schoolers and the coaches try to force a certain plan if it’s not working then it could get ugly just like last year.

I expect the players to better prepared which will afford the coaches to be more creative with what they want to do when it come to game day.

Running a base defense and a predictable offense won’t cut it with today’s athletes on the teams we play. By looking like our film or going in without proper film study or not being physically fit to execute our plan all qtrs we will get what we have seen over the past few years.

I expect the players to make better use of their free time and the coaches to put them in a position to win.

It’s a game of inches and funny bounces of a funny shaped ball, maybe it will bounce our way when we need it the most. I’m ready to see some well executed football this year, I expect the crew we have up on Rocky Top to force the issue and see the results on the field.

Sure we are behind the curve in wins and losses, but how many of the games in this most recent stretch of poor play by us and them came down to being a 1 possession ball game?

99 makes a solid point about who you have to deal with when it comes to a loss. I’ve got family spread out so it’s important that we handle business against Mo, and Ms St.

The worst part is how we keep losing to barely bowl eligible teams due to our poor performance. It’s not like they are that much better than they are typically but it’s a sign of how far we have fallen.

Saying a game isn’t really a rivalry and it’s just another game as a great way to gig the players and fans that know the importance of every game in the great scheme of things.

A bad loss is more damaging that the benefits of a great win.

I have never thought of the game as a "rivalry" and said many times why.

At one time, the two teams were very good and the game had lots of significance. So, it was built up to be a rivalry. The same way the Patriots-Colts had significance and was made to be a rivalry.

But, Indianapolis-New England is not a rivalry and neither is Florida-Tennessee

JMO
IT IS FOR US DAMN IT

You sure about that?

UF won both games against UT in the 80s, went 2-2 in the four games played in the 70s, and we won the only game against each other in the 60s.

But you guys totally owned us from 1916-1955.

Right. No reason to be a rival with a team you played 10 times before 1990. Notre Dame was a bigger rival.

General Neyland did rightly say in the 50's that Florida was a sleeping giant. Absolutely no reason for Florida to suck as long as they did.

I'm willing to bet heavily that during your lifetime I've seen Florida win more games than you've seen Tennessee win.

Are you 70?

I have never thought of the game as a "rivalry" and said many times why.

At one time, the two teams were very good and the game had lots of significance. So, it was built up to be a rivalry. The same way the Patriots-Colts had significance and was made to be a rivalry.

But, Indianapolis-New England is not a rivalry and neither is Florida-Tennessee

JMO
In order, who do you consider to be UF’s Rivals? I’m sure pre ‘90, Miami could be one. Which is bigger, UF-FSU or FSU-UM?

Right. No reason to be a rival with a team you played 10 times before 1990. Notre Dame was a bigger rival.

General Neyland did rightly say in the 50's that Florida was a sleeping giant. Absolutely no reason for Florida to suck as long as they did.
Weird how what people think today UT/UF and UT/UGA, TN and GA didn’t play each other much pre 1990.

I didn’t get into it before, but the “fan” aspect is why it’s not a rivalry to me.

If you don’t have to catch hell at school, the grocery store, church, from your next door neighbor, your co-worker, etc., when you lose, it’s not really a rivalry to me. There are some rare exceptions to this, but Florida-Tennessee doesn’t count as an exception to me.

It’s why most rivalries are based on proximity.
I've never gotten into that aspect of sports, and if someone starts I just walk away.

In order, who do you consider to be UF’s Rivals? I’m sure pre ‘90, Miami could be one. Which is bigger, UF-FSU or FSU-UM?

Some say Georgia. Some say FSU. They are 1A and 1B. Then, it depends who you speak to. Some would say Miami, but we don’t play them regularly. Some would say Tennessee. Some would say LSU. Old school people like me would put Auburn in there.

I think most FSU folks would rather beat Florida. I am sure there is a percentage that would rather beat Miami though.

Reactions: secking
Some say Georgia. Some say FSU. They are 1A and 1B. Then, it depends who you speak to. Some would say Miami, but we don’t play them regularly. Some would say Tennessee. Some would say LSU. Old school people like me would put Auburn in there.

I think most FSU folks would rather beat Florida. I am sure there is a percentage that would rather beat Miami though.
Sounds geographical, like Georgia. South ga of course is Fla, west is AU, north is TN, east is SC or CU, but all Dawg fans hate Tech.

I honestly don’t care how much of a rivalry they think it is or isn’t, Florida is the ONE GAME I as a fan look forward to most each year. In the sense of I want to beat the breaks off of that team and cannot stand those cocky swamp rats. I would rather beat UF over Georgia or Alabama, jmo. It may be because I had a best friend who was a Florida fan growing up, idk the root i just know that’s how it is for me.
The two sweetest victories for me in the last 15 years was 04 Florida and 16 Florida.

VN Store

Back