Per ESPN Pruitt looking fwd to tell his side of the story.

I don't think Fulmer orchestrated anything pre-Currie firing. Not because he did not want the AD job that ultimately went to Currie (he absolutely did) but because I don't think he had the leverage to pull that off at the time.

Once Currie was fired, Fulmer and his booster allies had leverage at that point and he absolutely got involved, which ultimately culminated in him getting the AD job.

Thornton was in touch with Currie's bosses telling them Fulmer was ready to roll. He was also sabotaging Currie's attempt to hire others and went full nuclear and pulled the coup when Currie hired Leach. It wasn't Phil's first sabotaging trip around the back rooms while at UT.

Reactions: vettefool
Thornton was in touch with Currie's bosses telling them Fulmer was ready to roll. He was also sabotaging Currie's attempt to hire others and went full nuclear and pulled the coup when Currie hired Leach. It wasn't Phil's first sabotaging trip around the back rooms while at UT.
I'm sure he was, but that doesn't necessarily mean Fulmer/Thornton had the power at that time to make it happen. If Phil had that level of power within the AD, then he would have gotten the AD job a year and a half prior, when they hired Currie.

I don't deny Fulmer's history of backstabbing, but there's a difference between wanting to backstab and having the power to actually do it. IMO Phil got the job because of the Haslam camp's incompetence in hiring Currie and the ensuing coaching search to replace Butch. They lost power/leverage among the rest of the booster base when that happened and started looking elsewhere for leadership, which opened the door for Phil.

Fulmer was a slightly better than average HC with great coordinators (well 1 outstanding coordinator). He was a great recruiter.
Don't discount the level of coaching at most other SEC schools during Fulmer's tenure.

Ray Goff, Mike Dubose, Jim Donnan, Jerry DiNardo, Brad Scott, Hal Mumme, etc. also contributed to Fulmer's success

Fulmer was only a viable candidate for AD because of the emergency-like situation the athletic department was in when he was hired. No viable candidates for the job were interested in the job at that point. He got the job because no serious candidate wanted it, and he was a recognizable figure who they thought might be able to get people on the same page in a crisis situation.
Part of the crisis was created by Fulmer.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I don't think Fulmer orchestrated anything pre-Currie firing. Not because he did not want the AD job that ultimately went to Currie (he absolutely did) but because I don't think he had the leverage to pull that off at the time.

Once Currie was fired, Fulmer and his booster allies had leverage at that point and he absolutely got involved, which ultimately culminated in him getting the AD job.
Believe what you want but Anderson and Fulmer with some political power got Currie canned. Now Currie was probably gone anyways but Haslam didn’t have time to pick his replacement.

Dumbass Jeremy gonna get the shovel and dig his grave deeper. He’s a bamer alright. Down to his core.

And ESPN is more than glad to let him execute his career. They care only about the trash. They don’t give a damn about his family, career or how stupid he looks.
Why should they? Strange take

Believe what you want but Anderson and Fulmer with some political power got Currie canned. Now Currie was probably gone anyways but Haslam didn’t have time to pick his replacement.
Currie made himself vulnerable with how that "coaching search" went and largely got himself canned.

What can he say I’m sure this whole investigation was just made up.. get ready to drag Tennessee more this football season.. I think we got the right coach not to let this be a distraction as much as most of the country hates Tennessee. I’m embracing this hate and I think as Vols we should jus enjoy being the JR Ewing of college football.
What's there to tell...he sucked at cheating.... End of story. Sadly in that Era, that means you suck at coaching.

Currie did what Haslam allowed him too. Now he screwed up landing Mullen but after that it was all Haslam.
The pursuit of Mullen, then Schiano, was Haslam. Once the Schiano hire blew up, Currie went off the reservation and was seen as out of control by the admin and boosters, who corralled him back to Knoxville and fired him. Fulmer + his booster allies came out on top after the power vacuum that ensued; Haslam really had no credibility or moral suasion at that point given that his plan totally backfired.

His side of the story is that you have to cheat to compete against the other schools that are cheating. Anybody think georgia, bammer, and others are doing worse than what Pruitt did? Anybody? But I seriously doubt that Pruitt will say what I just said.

He's gonna say Fulmer approved it all, probably some other high level boosters/administrators. The Nuremberg defense "he was just following orders". Hopefully he doesn't have any receipts though.

I’m torn - on one hand, I’d like to see Fulmer set out to pasture once and for all. On the other hand, I don’t want it to get to that level because the likelihood that it impacts the University and the program(s) rise substantially.

In my opinion, I think Fulmer knew, if not gave a passive endorsement, to Pruitt’s shenanigans. He extended the guy in one of the most head scratching moves ever.

I’m torn - on one hand, I’d like to see Fulmer set out to pasture once and for all. On the other hand, I don’t want it to get to that level because the likelihood that it impacts the University and the program(s) rise substantially.

In my opinion, I think Fulmer knew, if not gave a passive endorsement, to Pruitt’s shenanigans. He extended the guy in one of the most head scratching moves ever.
Extention=Blackmail

If Phil got a show cause I would not shed a tear. A 3-4 break from appearing at any halftime shows would be cool with me.

I am just thankful he is no longer AD. I felt putting him in that position was a huge mistake from the day it was announced, while others felt it would be a return to greatness. Seems the verdict is in on that question. Whether he continues to express his opinion on the program in the future, or he keeps his trap shut? Matters little to me. The important part is he is riding off into the sunset just like Shane did at the end of the movie. Over, done, move on.

Yeah, Pruitt is looking so forward to telling his side of the TN story that he’s lining up right behind Greg Sxhiano to do it.

VN Store

Back