People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

The problem with that may be the length of his leash he’s allowed. BM has been known to throw an int before he throws 4/5 tds. In fact the game they were referring to in the spring game where he threw for 513 yards and ran for 195 or so started with a pick 6 against him. He ended the game with 6 scores.

It’s not how you start but how you finish...right??

OP is 100% RIGHT!! I have never seen a 2 string QB get his number called because the starter was hurt, and then go on to win the game, and in fact become the starter for the rest of the season ( or two), I guess is doesn't happen, never has happened, and never will happen. CP has made the right calls, and will continue to make the right calls, none of us should even think about questioning his assignments, or coaching ability. CP and JG, you guys are the greatest, Go Vols wooooooweeeee!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Guys he’s not putting in a freshman because he doesn’t want to lose Bailey. JP is risking his job for next year and so on.. He’s doing what Butch did.. which is very idiotic..

This honestly isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

He is and Gruden himself remarked how great he looked in practice. The point originally was that some are practice gods, some are both, and some are just gamers. One of these backups may be a gamer, but we'll never know until JG goes down or leaves. I'm not saying they're better, but we rotate/bench every other position on the team, except his and him.
They don't know how to practice until they see playing time.

Team really needs a spark. I’d make a change, but what do I know. I’ll just say this, if josh Dobbs was the QB Tennessee would be undefeated to this point. Just an example that Tennessee needs a playmaker under center! JGs had plenty of chances.
Dobbs was not a good QB but he knew how to win. JG doesn't know how to win. Make the change

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
I've seen enough of JG. He is not a leader. He is playing scared with ZERO confidence. He's the primary reason we are 0-2 against vastly inferior opponents. Georgia Freakin State and a bunch of Mormons.

OP is 100% RIGHT!! I have never seen a 2 string QB get his number called because the starter was hurt, and then go on to win the game, and in fact become the starter for the rest of the season ( or two), I guess is doesn't happen, never has happened, and never will happen. CP has made the right calls, and will continue to make the right calls, none of us should even think about questioning his assignments, or coaching ability. CP and JG, you guys are the greatest, Go Vols wooooooweeeee!
Sarcasm meter pegged.

Dobbs proves this whole theory wrong.

Tom Brady proves this whole theory wrong.

There have been better qbs sitting on the bench multiple times that a coach didn’t realize was better for some reason.

I totally agree with your reasoning; however Tom Brady’s junior and senior numbers are pretty much identical to Brian Griese’s jr and sr numbers.

There have been better qbs sitting on the bench multiple times that a coach didn’t realize was better for some reason.
Those are very rare exceptions. Most QBs who are good in games are good in practice.

I’d believe you if I didn’t see Alvin Kamara sit behind Jalen Hurd. Coaches ain’t always right Big fella.
Not to defend Flute Boy, but Hurd was on pace for the school record for career rushing yards until he left.

I remember when we had fans who wanted Butch to play Dormady over Dobbs.

I’d believe you if I didn’t see Alvin Kamara sit behind Jalen Hurd. Coaches ain’t always right Big fella.

Except in your scenario, Hurd wasn’t necessarily some scrub that was playing over Kamara....

He was on his way to obliterating the alltime rushing record....

They miss it a lot, 1st one comes to my mind, Peyton, listed as nu. 3 his freshman year, he only got to start because of injuries.
Except in your scenario, Hurd wasn’t necessarily some scrub that was playing over Kamara....

He was on his way to obliterating the alltime rushing record....

Hurd was good but a long ways off from kamara

Reactions: Big Al Orange
They miss it a lot, 1st one comes to my mind, Peyton, listed as nu. 3 his freshman year, he only got to start because of injuries.

Hurd was good but a long ways off from kamara

Sure in terms of NFL but there was no definitive example that showed Kamara was somehow light years better than Hurd.

I agree that JG has a lot of talent and experience. However, he is making mistakes which are causing us to lose football games. Until his injury in the Missouri game, his performance has declined. Why has this happened I don’t know and I am not sue anyone else knows. In last week’s game, it appears that the passing game was simplified from previous games and we tried to run the ball most of the game. This resulted in field goals and only 5 first downs in 16 attempts against a team which does not have a very good defense. I realize that we fans/media do not have access to practices except during what can be considered to be pre-practice warm ups. Will further simplifying the passing result in better performance? If so great. If not, what steps can the coaching staff take? What happens next year? If H B enrolls early, will he ready to play next Fall if J G continues? Will the transfer be ready after sitting out a year? I hope that J G can regain the form he showed against Auburn and Kentucky last year which would give the other QBs the opportunity to play some downs and gain enough knowledge and experience win football games in the future. I believe that we will have enough talented and players at the other positions to win 10 or more games in 2020/2021. The QB play will determine the further success of our football program.

VN Store

Back