Penny keeps doing his thing

Don’t say that in the BB forum. People lose their freaking minds when our historical relevance is mentioned. Bottom line is...facts are facts. That Purdue game would’ve been a huge step.
Yeah, it cracks me up over there. To overstate our own historical relevance is one thing - when they sh it on the relevance of schools that clearly have more relevant programs than we do (Barnes's flirtation with UCLA is the perfect example) is quite another. People are just prisoners of the moment. We've been good the last 2 years, so that means we're a basketball power now.

Yeah, it cracks me up over there. To overstate our own historical relevance is one thing - when they sh it on the relevance of schools that clearly have more relevant programs than we do (Barnes's flirtation with UCLA is the perfect example) is quite another. People are just prisoners of the moment. We've been good the last 2 years, so that means we're a basketball power now.

People calling us a basketball school last Winter was pretty comical. Yes, we are starving for a winner, but let’s not pretend we aren’t what we are. We are a football school who has repeatedly made bad decisions at the highest levels of administration. Once we get back to football relevance any thought of being a b-ball school disappears . Just look at the number of posts in the football forum and the number in the basketball forum.

It would take 3 final fours minimum to even consider being a basketball school.

Explain how the "other seniors" only played for Tubby and Penny. Penny coached their senior year, Tubby coached their junior year. Must not have played before that?

You seem so bright now.

Oh, because that is what you meant? Hardly. You had no clue about the makeup of the roster, but keep it coming. It's good entertainment.

Reactions: gordonr24
Oh, because that is what you meant? Hardly. You had no clue about the makeup of the roster, but keep it coming. It's good entertainment.

I meant exactly what I said, that Penny Hardaway was the third coach they had in four years. Nothing less, nothing more. If I meant something else, I would have said something else.

But let me crystalize it for you...

Kyvon Davenport
Penny
Tubby
Georgia Highlands x 2

Jeremiah Martin
Penny
Tubby x 2
Pastner

Raynere Thornton
Penny
Tubby
Gordon State x 2

Kareem Brewton
Penny
Tubby
East Florida State

Mike Parks, Jr
Penny
Tubby
Southwest Mississippi CC

See? Three coaches in four years. They may have been veterans, but they had no consistency. And they ain't NBA potential.

I meant exactly what I said, that Penny Hardaway was the third coach they had in four years. Nothing less, nothing more. If I meant something else, I would have said something else.

But let me crystalize it for you...

Kyvon Davenport
Penny
Tubby
Georgia Highlands x 2

Jeremiah Martin
Penny
Tubby x 2
Pastner

Raynere Thornton
Penny
Tubby
Gordon State x 2

Kareem Brewton
Penny
Tubby
East Florida State

Mike Parks, Jr
Penny
Tubby
Southwest Mississippi CC

See? Three coaches in four years. They may have been veterans, but they had no consistency. And they ain't NBA potential.

I thought they had a roster full of freshmen?

It certainly didn't help. Not sure how much playing time he would have gotten though. What do you think about Hampton skipping college?

I'll be honest- I kinda think it was a sorry thing for Hampton to do. Especially if the rumors that he actually signed with New Zealand a month ago. Having Memphis and Kansas (and their fans) go through all that just so he could say he's not going anywhere seems like amateur hour to me. I'm not above hoping he fails lol. What did you think?

It certainly didn't help. Not sure how much playing time he would have gotten though. What do you think about Hampton skipping college?

Tucker would’ve been in the starting lineup. He would’ve been the glue guy. Now, they’ll have a rotation of all freshman and a couple sophomores. They’ll be highly talented, but it’ll take a few months for them to gel.

I'll be honest- I kinda think it was a sorry thing for Hampton to do. Especially if the rumors that he actually signed with New Zealand a month ago. Having Memphis and Kansas (and their fans) go through all that just so he could say he's not going anywhere seems like amateur hour to me. I'm not above hoping he fails lol. What did you think?

I agree.

Don't know much about him otherwise but I get the impression he is a glory hound. Not as bad as the Balls (Lonzo, etc) but something along those lines. I had not heard he already signed. If so, I'm confident in my opinion. Smell test is usually pretty accurate.

Reactions: volgrad500
Penny was on ESPN2 last night. Some 30 for 30 special about his career in Orlando. Really makes it unfair to have to recruit against him. Not his fault I guess but hard for us to match up against that.

Penny was on ESPN2 last night. Some 30 for 30 special about his career in Orlando. Really makes it unfair to have to recruit against him. Not his fault I guess but hard for us to match up against that.

There’s nothing unfair about it. It’s just the game

It was a good show. I loved that Magic squad back then and despite what I have said about Memphis in this thread, I did say Penny was one of my favorite players for a long time. His Air Penny’s are my favorite all-time basketball shoe.

It’s a Shame that the Magic didn’t stay the same for longer.

Reactions: VolNExile
I hope everyone in and around Memphis is doing ok. I heard it’s a real mess and the water is oretty bad.

It would appear that your avi should have no fear of drowning, considering she looks equipped with proper flotation devices. :)

I hope everyone in and around Memphis is doing ok. I heard it’s a real mess and the water is oretty bad.

I have a friend who lives about a mile from me, and he had about waist deep water in his bottom floor. They did quick work yesterday by getting everything up, but it’s going to be a while until they are back to normal. Thanks for the kind words.

Well if he isn't cheating he shouldn't mind the NCAA taking a look, right? Penny might be totally legit, but such a jump in recruiting is bound to draw suspicion.
Guilty until proven innocent? I don't think it works that way...

although it is becoming the new norm.

GB3wcjP.gif

Had Kylie Irving stop by. Hopefully he doesn’t have anymore NBA players stop by this year.

Attachments

• A3A3A1D2-D529-4CBC-8E8A-EDF41B5027C3.jpeg
    A3A3A1D2-D529-4CBC-8E8A-EDF41B5027C3.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
  • EC9E47F6-8A82-450C-B25D-2625B815F008.jpeg
    EC9E47F6-8A82-450C-B25D-2625B815F008.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

VN Store

Back