Penny keeps doing his thing

How many NCAA coaches have had their own Nike shoes from when they were All-Stars in the NBA? What he lacks is the successful college coaching background, but everything else is there to attract recruits.

If making the NIT is an attractive quality to recruits then so be it.

Well if he isn't cheating he shouldn't mind the NCAA taking a look, right? Penny might be totally legit, but such a jump in recruiting is bound to draw suspicion.
What jump in recruiting? It’s his first full recruiting class. Are you trying to compare his class with what Tubby Smith did at Memphis? Cal and Pastner had no problems recruiting top flight.

Last edited:
Agree with all your points about why kids will want to play for him, but if I had to wager Josh is correct that shady things are taking place too. I disagree that NCAA will be investigating though unless he gets stupid with it.
Of course shady things are taking place. Any program involved in recruiting top 10-15 rated players has to be shady or they aren’t going to be signing those types of talents.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
What jump in recruiting? It’s his first full recruiting class. Are you trying to compare his class with what Tubby Smith did army Memphis? Cal and Pastner has no problems recruiting top flight.
Again, if there's nothing there, then there's nothing to find. Not sure why anyone would be worried if it's totally legit.

You couldn’t argue your way out of a paper bag. His first season is your argument? Are you that dumb?

Ahh, name calling when someone doesn’t agree with your thinking.

FYI, you’re talking about Memphis in basketball.

Are you really dumb enough to believe nothing shady is going on right now with Penny and his staff?

Ahh, name calling when someone doesn’t agree with your thinking.

FYI, you’re talking about Memphis in basketball.

Are you really dumb enough to believe nothing shady is going on right now with Penny and his staff?
That wasn’t name calling. I asked a question using a noun that by definition fits. Sorry you can’t grasp that.

Yea, Memphis basketball, a school that has regularly had great recruiting and Penny Hardaway, a college phenom, NBA star and Nike marketing LEGEND. What would players ever see in him?

That wasn’t name calling. I asked a question using a noun that by definition fits. Sorry you can’t grasp that.

Yea, Memphis basketball, a school that has regularly had great recruiting and Penny Hardaway, a college phenom, NBA star and Nike marketing LEGEND. What would players ever see in him?

His coaching isn’t proven and his pettiness towards Tennessee and Rick Barnes is laughably childish at best.

Doesn’t seem like a very classy individual despite being an “College Phenom” and “NBA Star”.

He might be getting highly touted recruits but it sure as Hell has nothing to do with being a good coach.

His coaching isn’t proven and his pettiness towards Tennessee and Rick Barnes is laughably childish at best.

Doesn’t seem like a very classy individual despite being an “College Phenom” and “NBA Star”.

He might be getting highly touted recruits but it sure as Hell has nothing to do with being a good coach.
Lol. He’s firing up his players. He’s renewing a natural rivalry. He’s building the brand. That’s called coaching. You’ve seen one season where he didn’t have his players. You answered my original question. Thanks

Lol. He’s firing up his players. He’s renewing a natural rivalry. He’s building the brand. That’s called coaching. You’ve seen one season where he didn’t have his players. You answered my original question. Thanks

Expect Barnes didn’t try to criticize Penny and his team after the game was over.

Penny was the one crying on live tv over the whole incident like a child after we kicked their a$$.

But if you want to call that “firing up his players” or “renewing a rivalry” then be my guest.

Expect Barnes didn’t try to criticize Penny and his team after the game was over.

Penny was the one crying on live tv over the whole incident like a child after we kicked their a$$.

But if you want to call that “firing up his players” or “renewing a rivalry” then be my guest.
Barnes didn’t have to do anything. Barnes reaction has nothing to do with it. But, I see how that baffles you

Barnes didn’t have to do anything. Barnes reaction has nothing to do with it. But, I see how that baffles you

Doesn’t baffle me.

Just think your whole narrative on “Penny trying to renew the Memphis/UT rivalry” is silly.

He’s hating on Tennessee just for the sake of doing it because apparently he’s a sore loser.

Doesn’t baffle me.

Just think your whole narrative on “Penny trying to renew the Memphis/UT rivalry” is silly.

He’s hating on Tennessee just for the sake of doing it because apparently he’s a sore loser.
Uh huh. Yea. That’s it. You’ve totally pegged him. A cheating, sore losing coach that can’t coach. Again, thanks for going a round about way to answer said question.

It’s Memphis.

You’re telling me a guy like Penny with no impressive coaching background is suddenly getting all these highly ranked guys to come play for him?

He’ll be investigated 2-3 years.

Get real.

Eh, he still has a best selling shoe, and he has an NBA champion and an NBA coach of the year sitting next to him on the bench. Not only that, 4 of the 8 are from Memphis or have ties to Memphis. Once Wiseman got on board, it helped with everyone else. It will be interesting how he handles this team because there will be several Memphis kids who will ride the bench. I am not sure Tyler Harris is going to settle for limited playing time.

He is recruiting very well. I think Barnes is a great coach but I am not sure how many great players want to come sit for a year or two before getting serious playing time. Don't get me wrong Grant and Admiral were great players and I know they weren't that highly recruited but expecting every under recruited player to turn into them is a bit naive. If Memphis becomes a power again along with Kentucky and Vanderbilt in our backyard, it will make things much more difficult for Barnes imho.

He is recruiting very well. I think Barnes is a great coach but I am not sure how many great players want to come sit for a year or two before getting serious playing time. Don't get me wrong Grant and Admiral were great players and I know they weren't that highly recruited but expecting every under recruited player to turn into them is a bit naive. If Memphis becomes a power again along with Kentucky and Vanderbilt in our backyard, it will make things much more difficult for Barnes imho.

With James coming, Walker committed for 2020, and a great shot at Keon Johnson, those are 3 five stars. The 2020-2021 game against Memphis in Nashville could be really fun.

With James coming, Walker committed for 2020, and a great shot at Keon Johnson, those are 3 five stars. The 2020-2021 game against Memphis in Nashville could be really fun.
I'd be surprised if James is here past 19-20.

VN Store

Back