Penny keeps doing his thing

Not only that, 4 of the 8 are from Memphis or have ties to Memphis.

This seems like at unintended indictment. Yeah it’s good to have local guys who know the landscape, the AAU and high school coaches, but at the same time it is still Memphis. Penny or no Penny.

Part of me says kudos to Penny for being so good at recruiting. Part of me asks, how is he getting so much talent to commit to Memphis? It just seems odd. Maybe it's all legit and Penny's just a really likeable guy to recruits, but it seems like something worth checking out. No sour grapes here, just not understanding the big jump in recruiting. When such a drastic change occurs, it deserves a look see IMO.

I hate to be the guy that just throws the paid players accusation out there, but how exactly is he grabbing all these kids? It's Memphis, so the school isn't selling them. It's Penny, who was totally washed before these kids were born, so it's not his legend that's selling them. He hasn't really proven he can coach yet. WTF is going on? Are we to believe he's the Nick Saban of college hoops sales? In the history of college sports, who has had a recruiting class like this in their second season as a head coach? It makes no sense.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Hate him if you will.. but the guy is producing bigtime. Now can he turn all that talent into a team? Remains to be seen. I'd say the odds are in his favor to do just that. I'm a Memphian that has following the Vols for as long as I can remember. I watched Penny play in high school and college here. The man has the natural ability for the game as a player. I'm ready to see if he has it as a coach. Regardless.. you can bet Rick is wishing he was pulling in the players like Penny. Lots of unknowns this coming season for both teams. Should be interesting.
Lost all respect for the guy after his infatuation with Rick Barnes last season

Reactions: IndyVol46
I hate to be the guy that just throws the paid players accusation out there, but how exactly is he grabbing all these kids? It's Memphis, so the school isn't selling them. It's Penny, who was totally washed before these kids were born, so it's not his legend that's selling them. He hasn't really proven he can coach yet. WTF is going on? Are we to believe he's the Nick Saban of college hoops sales? In the history of college sports, who has had a recruiting class like this in their second season as a head coach? It makes no sense.

He's been working these kids in AAU for a while. He also is pretty good at reading what the kids want. And having an anchor like Wiseman be local helped. Maybe he's cheating but, by most accounts at other top recruiting programs, he wouldn't be alone.

You guys giving Memphis the benefit of the doubt are joking right?

1 OF 2 teams with multiple Final Fours VACACTED
1985 and 2008. I guess while Penny was around in the early 90’s they were squeaky clean.
I Mean IT’S MEMPHIS.

I’m saying this and I grew up loving Penny. He and Grant Hill were favorite NBA players for a time.

IT Still says Memphis in the front of the jersey though .

Can't you see Penny being a great salesman though? He's young, from Memphis, an alum, and yes he was in his prime before these kids were even born but he is still a former NBA player, and a good one at that. It isn't shocking that he can relate well to elite high school basketball prospects.

Is shady stuff going on too? Yeah, probably, but most other schools are doing the same kind of stuff. I doubt that is the difference between him getting a good class and not.

1985 and 2008. I guess while Penny was around in the early 90’s they were squeaky clean.
I Mean IT’S MEMPHIS.

I’m saying this and I grew up loving Penny. He and Grant Hill were favorite NBA players for a time.

And yet still has more FF appearances than Tennessee

Can't you see Penny being a great salesman though? He's young, from Memphis, an alum, and yes he was in his prime before these kids were even born but he is still a former NBA player, and a good one at that. It isn't shocking that he can relate well to elite high school basketball prospects.

Is shady stuff going on too? Yeah, probably, but most other schools are doing the same kind of stuff. I doubt that is the difference between him getting a good class and not.

I'm always surprised by who can do sales and who can't, TBH, so I'm not the best person to ask. Does being ftom Memphis help, outside of recruiting local kids? Does having fake painted on hair help?

I'm always surprised by who can do sales and who can't, TBH, so I'm not the best person to ask. Does being ftom Memphis help, outside of recruiting local kids? Does having fake painted on hair help?

It’s called “expenses”.

Only a handful of coaches try to get the players they want the right way.

I think the fact that he's from Memphis and an alum of the school probably helps him sell it better. Kids (and people generally) like someone who is genuine, and he probably genuinely loves the school. He's a former NBA player who also went to school there...that's instant credibility with a lot of prospects.

IMO, it's not surprising at all he's a great recruiter. That's why Memphis hired him. Whether or not he can coach is another question.

Don’t say that in the BB forum. People lose their freaking minds when our historical relevance is mentioned. Bottom line is...facts are facts. That Purdue game would’ve been a huge step.
I'm a realist. I love UT and everything about it, but I won't let blind hatred change "the truth." Except maybe Vandy.

I hope Penny doesn't see this thread. It'll be posted all over the campus. It's going to be ugly enough for us as it is. They scored 57 points against the best team we've ever had in one half with a bunch of Freshmen and some no-names that got no NBA notice.

I Mean IT’S MEMPHIS.

Dude.

I don't know if you've been to Memphis lately but their campus is nicer than ours and they wear that Memphis on the front of their jerseys with more pride than anything I've seen in Knoxville lately.

Reactions: VolNExile
Dude.

I don't know if you've been to Memphis lately but their campus is nicer than ours and they wear that Memphis on the front of their jerseys with more pride than anything I've seen in Knoxville lately.

Closet Memphis fan

I hope Penny doesn't see this thread. It'll be posted all over the campus. It's going to be ugly enough for us as it is. They scored 57 points against the best team we've ever had in one half with a bunch of Freshmen and some no-names that got no NBA notice.

Wrong again. You try very hard though.

VN Store

Back