Penny keeps doing his thing

I’m always amazed at how VN is baffled that Memphis gets local recruits, and that local fans support the local team. Many/ most of the posts crap all over Mempho, with some pretty blatant undertones. It’s not my favorite city (too damn big, the weather is abysmal, and Broadway Pizza is running way behind tonight with my order), but props to Memphis for supporting its team and hoping that it’s moving up in the world.

I’m always amazed at how VN is baffled that Memphis gets local recruits, and that local fans support the local team. Many/ most of the posts crap all over Mempho, with some pretty blatant undertones. It’s not my favorite city (too damn big, the weather is abysmal, and Broadway Pizza is running way behind tonight with my order), but props to Memphis for supporting its team and hoping that it’s moving up in the world.

Care to explain the blatant undertones you are referring to? I’m sure I know, but just go ahead and say it. I presented facts about Final Four banners being taken away, 1985 and 2008. That’s not like getting popped because of 1 dirty staff and it never happens again. That’s multiple decades . 1 of 2 schools ever . So I’m not giving Memphis the benefit of the doubt when it comes to bringing in massive amounts of talent and not be skeptical.

However, I will be fair. I actually like the city and the BBQ and have always enjoyed visiting the town. My wife grew up in and around there. Doesn’t change the fact that everyone that I’ve ever met that’s a Memphis fan/ grad doesn’t wear that larger than Shelby county chip on their shoulder obnoxiously and with absolute disdain for the University of Tennessee.

Care to explain the blatant undertones you are referring to? I’m sure I know, but just go ahead and say it. I presented facts about Final Four banners being taken away, 1985 and 2008. That’s not like getting popped because of 1 dirty staff and it never happens again. That’s multiple decades . 1 of 2 schools ever . So I’m not giving Memphis the benefit of the doubt when it comes to bringing in massive amounts of talent and not be skeptical.

However, I will be fair. I actually like the city and the BBQ and have always enjoyed visiting the town. My wife grew up in and around there. Doesn’t change the fact that everyone that I’ve ever met that’s a Memphis fan/ grad doesn’t wear that larger than Shelby county chip on their shoulder obnoxiously and with absolute disdain for the University of Tennessee.
And why shouldn’t they with all the disdain they get from Vol fans? Lots of haters on both sides. Doesn’t advance things any.

And why shouldn’t they with all the disdain they get from Vol fans? Lots of haters on both sides. Doesn’t advance things any.

Until proven otherwise they are still at the kids table because they keep getting caught sitting on telephone books to sit with the adults.

I hope Penny doesn't see this thread. It'll be posted all over the campus. It's going to be ugly enough for us as it is. They scored 57 points against the best team we've ever had in one half with a bunch of Freshmen and some no-names that got no NBA notice.
When did Senior Drill become a Tiger High fan?

I hope Penny doesn't see this thread. It'll be posted all over the campus. It's going to be ugly enough for us as it is. They scored 57 points against the best team we've ever had in one half with a bunch of Freshmen and some no-names that got no NBA notice.

That team wasn’t freshman. It was 6 seniors in that rotation, 1 sophomore, and 2 freshman.

That team wasn’t freshman. It was 6 seniors in that rotation, 1 sophomore, and 2 freshman.

I stand corrected.

Memphis fielded a veteran team (with none that will play in the NBA), well coached (with the seniors enjoying their 3rd coach in 4 years) by a first year coach at the helm. Equally matched with UT winning out of simple superiority.

I stand corrected.

Memphis fielded a veteran team (with none that will play in the NBA), well coached (with the seniors enjoying their 3rd coach in 4 years) by a first year coach at the helm. Equally matched with UT winning out of simple superiority.

Wrong again. Other than Martin, the other seniors were recruited by Tubby and only played for Tubby and Penny. You have no clue wtf you are talking about...time and time again. Troll...plain and simple.

Wrong again. Other than Martin, the other seniors were recruited by Tubby and only played for Tubby and Penny. You have no clue wtf you are talking about...time and time again. Troll...plain and simple.
Tubby coached Memphis AND all those JUCO schools his first year? No wonder Memphis sucked.

Or, wait, maybe the seniors really were on their third coach in four years...

Tubby coached Memphis AND all those JUCO schools his first year? No wonder Memphis sucked.

Or, wait, maybe the seniors really were on their third coach in four years...

Lol, Bill, you will argue with a fence post. You know what his intent was. New Orange dude has made statement after statement about the Memphis-UT game that have been wrong. I live outside Memphis and went to graduate school there. I know the roster and I know what’s going on.

Lol, Bill, you will argue with a fence post. You know what his intent was. New Orange dude has made statement after statement about the Memphis-UT game that have been wrong. I live outside Memphis and went to graduate school there. I know the roster and I know what’s going on.
Facts are facts Gee. Multiple different coaches for those guys. And they weren’t Penny’s players. To make any decision based on last year’s performance is absurd. Your intent (as well as most others in this thread) is just blind hatred, jealousy and inferiority issues with Memphis basketball.

Facts are facts Gee. Multiple different coaches for those guys. And they weren’t Penny’s players. To make any decision based on last year’s performance is absurd. Your intent (as well as most others in this thread) is just blind hatred, jealousy and inferiority issues with Memphis basketball.

Seems like Penny is the one who’s jealous of Barnes and Tennessee.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

Actually, if you read all of my posts about Memphis, I have never said anything about Penny as a coach. You just made an assumption.

Orange dude first stated that Memphis played us tight with a bunch of freshmen. That was wrong. They weren’t freshmen, and the game was never really in doubt. I was there. Then, he changed it to “no NBA players.” His “facts” have not been correct. We answered every time they were within a few scores and Memphis made a 3 with seconds left to lose by 10. It’s pretty clear what his agenda is.

I grew up a Penny fan and challenge anyone to find something that I have said to question what he is doing. In fact, I defended his team early in the basketball season. The only time I was disappointed was after his comments about Barnes, and even some local media members said that it was uncalled for.

You are talking to the wrong person. My Dad had season tickets, and I grew up a fan. But par for the course.

Memphis is awesome. /Thread
You know, we really don’t have to be such a-holes. It makes us look (pick one, perhaps more):
1. Stupid 2. Bigoted. 3. Scared.

I’m a diehard Vol fan, and (not “but”; AND) I have no problem in wishing U Memphis well, except when we’re playing them. (duh)

Tennessee is a big state, and I’m good with a powerhouse in the East (us) and a moving-toward-a-powerhouse-in-a-lesser-conference in the West (UM.) As for the middle, they can support MTSU, Vandy, or anyone else, or just go to hell. An exception, I guess: Go Tennessee State!!

Why are we so greedy? Why is UTK the only way to go? There aren’t that many spots on a college BB team, and there are a lot of HS hopefuls out there, wanting to play NCAA ball. Why can’t we lift erebody up and all at the same time, and shine on everyone? Do you somehow lose something by supporting someone else, especially when they aren’t a threat to you?

I’ll repeat what I said above: if you’re not willing to give some good vibes in general toward UM, there’s a reason, and it’s probably not one that makes you look good when that big old spotlight is turned on to your life. So sure, whatever, there might be some iffy things going on there, but if you want to go down that road, you are ethically obliged to turn the same microscope on UT. *cough* Donnie Tyndall *cough*

I’ll say it again: Memphis is trying to move up in this sorry old world. Instead of finding every possible reason to kick them down the ladder, why not offer a reasonably cheerful thumbs up? Would it kill you?

Last edited:
You know, we really don’t have to be such a-holes. It makes us look (pick one, perhaps more):
1. Stupid 2. Bigoted. 3. Scared.

I’m a diehard Vol fan, and (not “but”; AND) I have no problem in wishing U Memphis well, except when we’re playing them. (duh)

Tennessee is a big state, and I’m good with a powerhouse in the East (us) and a moving-toward-a-powerhouse-in-a-lesser-conference in the West (UM.) As for the middle, they can support MTSU, Vandy, or anyone else, or just go to hell. An exception, I guess: Go Tennessee State!!

Why are we so greedy? Why is UTK the only way to go? There aren’t that many spots on a college BB team, and there are a lot of HS hopefuls out there, wanting to play NCAA ball. Why can’t we lift erebody up and all at the same time, and shine on everyone? Do you somehow lose something by supporting someone else, especially when they aren’t a threat to you?

I’ll repeat what I said above: if you’re not willing to give some good vibes in general toward UM, there’s a reason, and it’s probably not one that makes you look good when that big old spotlight is turned on to your life. So sure, whatever, there might be some iffy things going on there, but if you want to go down that road, you are ethically obliged to turn the same microscope on UT. *cough* Donnie Tyndall *cough*

I’ll say it again: Memphis is trying to move up in this sorry old world. Instead of finding every possible reason to kick them down the ladder, why not offer a reasonably cheerful thumbs up? Would it kill you?

Wow . I apologize . You’re right, I’ve got enough problems in my life than to worry about what happens with Memphis athletics. I’m participating on a message board, a Tennessee Vols one at that, having a conversation about a rival school and have questioned their well documented checkered past with the NCAA.

I’m not ethically obligated to do anything when it comes to Tennessee athletics other than show them support until I feel like a reason exists that I shouldn’t . If there is a problem there and it comes to light, then so be it. I’m not naive enough to think we are squeaky clean, but I’m not going to create an issue or kick over any rocks to find out if there are any either . I’m not going to disparage my guys just so people in Memphis can feel good about the Tigers. So I’m just going to leave Memphis State alone because it is not being constructive.

I like the Commissary, Beale, The Firm, the Ducks, the Pyramid/Bass Pro, Memphis Law School, Collins Tuoy, Sun Records and that my wife was raised well is Shelby county and I've seen the Million Dollar Quartet, also a quick drive to Tunica.

So we good now?

To be fair, that whole Rose ordeal was complete ********. The NCAA cleared him to play, never proved he didn't take the test, and still punished them lol. That was just extremely bad legal advice given to the University. What they were accused of is the equivalent to a jaywalking fine compared to what LSU and UNC have been proven to do.

To be fair, that whole Rose ordeal was complete ********. The NCAA cleared him to play, never proved he didn't take the test, and still punished them lol. That was just extremely bad legal advice given to the University. What they were accused of is the equivalent to a jaywalking fine compared to what LSU and UNC have been proven to do.

I’ll give you that.
UNC kind of figured out the blueprint for the NCAA mess after the football team got busted (the first time). People forget about that. Then this whole African American studies program stuff shows up and since it was available to all students they skated. Even though they clearly funneled athletes to that program. They also lawyered up and didn’t budge.

Reactions: volgrad500
Doesn’t change the fact that everyone that I’ve ever met that’s a Memphis fan/ grad doesn’t wear that larger than Shelby county chip on their shoulder obnoxiously and with absolute disdain for the University of Tennessee.

Pleased to meet you. I'm a fan of both - but Vols when they play each other. Glad to be your first, though VolGee probably counts too.

Pleased to meet you. I'm a fan of both - but Vols when they play each other. Glad to be your first, though VolGee probably counts too.

Me too. I've always liked Memphis basketball. Growing up in West TN, it came to me as naturally as Tennessee football. People can flame away. Idgaf lol

Reactions: VolNExile

Nice to meet you and VolMcGee too.
@VolNExile and I are becoming fast friends as well.

Just to be clear I wasn’t referring to the Tennessee/ Memphis fans because they grew up there and went to UT. I was talking about the Memphis fan that absolutely hates Tennessee.

I catch a lot of crap because I’m a Duke fan and I became one because my parents live within 5 minutes of campus since 1985. So I’m familiar with having another team or soft spot.

Last edited:
I think that as long as Vol fans foam at the mouth at the very mention of Bama, we might be a bit more tolerant of UM fans. 1559058815570.gif

(I slipped and said “Tiger High” in my mom’s earshot the other day and got The Look. 1559058912131.gif lol. She’s 91.)

Edit to add: @RDU VOL#14, hope you’re doing well. 1559059519149.gif

Last edited:
Nice to meet you and VolMcGee too.
@VolNExile and I are becoming fast friends as well.

Just to be clear I wasn’t referring to the Tennessee/ Memphis fans because they grew up there and went to UT. I was talking about the Memphis fan that absolutely hates Tennessee.

I catch a lot of crap because I’m a Duke fan and I became one because my parents live within 5 minutes of campus since 1985. So I’m familiar with having another team or soft spot.

I will change this discussion just a bit. The thing that I was frustrated with was the bias in East Tennessee against folks from Shelby County. Even fellow Vol fans have commented to me about being from there. Sure, geography, demographics, and many other things are different from the two regions. But, there are many, many UT alums in Shelby County, and it has alot of influence.

I remembered doing this research back when I was in school in the early 2000's, and I just found the numbers from 2016. 1,777 undergrad students (out of 19,250) were from Shelby County. That's a little over 9 percent and the second leading county behind Knox. I believe that number is similar from year to year. If a high percentage of those kids go back to Shelby County to live and work, then the accumulation of alums becomes quite high. While Shelby County also has a mix of fans from many other schools, there is alot of UT influence there, and it's frustrating when people don't embrace it.

I am a UT fan through and through. Have been to many, many games and events. But, I am only a legacy from my brother who went to UT before me. I was rooting for UT at age 10, but I was not born a Vol.

I will change this discussion just a bit. The thing that I was frustrated with was the bias in East Tennessee against folks from Shelby County. Even fellow Vol fans have commented to me about being from there. Sure, geography, demographics, and many other things are different from the two regions. But, there are many, many UT alums in Shelby County, and it has alot of influence.

I remembered doing this research back when I was in school in the early 2000's, and I just found the numbers from 2016. 1,777 undergrad students (out of 19,250) were from Shelby County. That's a little over 9 percent and the second leading county behind Knox. I believe that number is similar from year to year. If a high percentage of those kids go back to Shelby County to live and work, then the accumulation of alums becomes quite high. While Shelby County also has a mix of fans from many other schools, there is alot of UT influence there, and it's frustrating when people don't embrace it.

I am a UT fan through and through. Have been to many, many games and events. But, I am only a legacy from my brother who went to UT before me. I was rooting for UT at age 10, but I was not born a Vol.

As I said, I like Shelby county and the surrounding areas. I love the people, the food, (completely converted to Memphis BBQ ) the music, although not big on Elvis. I told my wife, my girlfriend at the time, that I would be happy to move there if she wanted to be close to family and old friends . A lot of friends of mine from UT were from Shelby County and wound up back there for a few years after graduation and have seemed to all be flocking to the Nashville area now.

Explain how the "other seniors" only played for Tubby and Penny. Penny coached their senior year, Tubby coached their junior year. Must not have played before that?

You seem so bright now.

VN Store

Back