Penny keeps doing his thing

They’ll be a much tougher opponent this coming season.

Not sure if they will be tougher or not. They will be higher ranked players but they are losing most of their scoring. You can never tell how freshmen will preform when they have to be the leaders. Of course Tennessee will probably not be as good

Reactions: vols40 and ATC_VOL
prop-money-duffel-bag-mix.jpg

Hate him if you will.. but the guy is producing bigtime. Now can he turn all that talent into a team? Remains to be seen. I'd say the odds are in his favor to do just that. I'm a Memphian that has following the Vols for as long as I can remember. I watched Penny play in high school and college here. The man has the natural ability for the game as a player. I'm ready to see if he has it as a coach. Regardless.. you can bet Rick is wishing he was pulling in the players like Penny. Lots of unknowns this coming season for both teams. Should be interesting.

Part of me says kudos to Penny for being so good at recruiting. Part of me asks, how is he getting so much talent to commit to Memphis? It just seems odd. Maybe it's all legit and Penny's just a really likeable guy to recruits, but it seems like something worth checking out. No sour grapes here, just not understanding the big jump in recruiting. When such a drastic change occurs, it deserves a look see IMO.

Reactions: 508mikey
Penny will be under enormous pressure next year. All eyes will be on him and the media will be ready to pounce. Luckily for us, we catch them in December, before that young team gels and starts playing its best basketball. Even with losing Grant and Bone, I wouldn’t write off that game, especially since its at TBA.

Penny will be under enormous pressure next year. All eyes will be on him and the media will be ready to pounce. Luckily for us, we catch them in December, before that young team gels and starts playing its best basketball. Even with losing Grant and Bone, I wouldn’t write off that game, especially since its at TBA.
I'm not too confident right now.

Reactions: 508mikey
It’s Memphis.

You’re telling me a guy like Penny with no impressive coaching background is suddenly getting all these highly ranked guys to come play for him?

He’ll be investigated 2-3 years.

Get real.
Penny has a name and the experience and talent to back it up. He has an NBA level coaching staff with him. The facilities are top notch. I don't see your issue with why things are turning around at Memphis. Maybe you need new glasses or enjoy eating sour grapes from now on.......

Penny has a name and the experience and talent to back it up. He has an NBA level coaching staff with him. The facilities are top notch. I don't see your issue with why things are turning around at Memphis. Maybe you need new glasses or enjoy eating sour grapes from now on.......
Agree with all your points about why kids will want to play for him, but if I had to wager Josh is correct that shady things are taking place too. I disagree that NCAA will be investigating though unless he gets stupid with it.

So Penny is cheating to get players to come to Memphis to play for him and his staff of former NBA players; after having been a college star himself, playing in the NBA, and building a rep and contacts/relationships in the AAU circuit.
But if Peyton Manning came to UT to coach, we would have 5* recruits flocking here, especially QBs.

So Penny is cheating to get players to come to Memphis to play for him and his staff of former NBA players; after having been a college star himself, playing in the NBA, and building a rep and contacts/relationships in the AAU circuit.
But if Peyton Manning came to UT to coach, we would have 5* recruits flocking here, especially QBs.
Well if he isn't cheating he shouldn't mind the NCAA taking a look, right? Penny might be totally legit, but such a jump in recruiting is bound to draw suspicion.

How many NCAA coaches have had their own Nike shoes from when they were All-Stars in the NBA? What he lacks is the successful college coaching background, but everything else is there to attract recruits.

Reactions: BUBear

VN Store

Back