Pat Summit has lost it some

Is it just me or is Women's Basketball hard to watch?? It is such an unathletic sport. I have never seen more falling down, tripping, etc... I respect Coach Summitt but as far as player development, if she were a men's coach, she would get berated. Have any of the following players actually improved since they were freshman: Bjorklund, Cain, Baugh, Strickland??? I don't think so.

This team is not young. It's filled with juniors. The Lady Vols were outplayed and out coached tonight. It is what it is. Congratulations to Notre Dame. They earned this win.

Yes, this team is loaded with Juniors, one senior who usually started, and a freshman. Except for the frosh, they all appear to be a half step slow. Weak player evaluations in 07 and 08. The older you get, the harder it is to push off the couch and go out to a high school gymn to do your job.

Coaches recruit, coaches draw game plans, coaches sub, coaches make moves in games, and they coach up players. That is why we try to get the best coaches. If a coach never changes his/her approach and that coach is not accomplishing what they or anyone else expects, it may call for adjustments in how they coach and who they play on the team. The LV's got embarrassed on national TV two games in a row at half time by Pat's rants. Against the lesser team they responded. Then it was played on Sports Center for a couple of days. The second time was against a stronger team and they lost. Some of you defending her are the same people that were PO'd at MH for not giving CBP a vote of confidence with the media before the men's tournament embarrassment. Yet, on here Pat is a god for tearing her team down.

She is not a player's coach if you have not figured that out yet. The players have. She had the star to bail her out in the past. Not anymore due to growing competition in the women's game. They can still be a really good program beacuse of the tradition and legacy.

I really really hope this is just a big troll thread. You people would criticize Jesus on not being a good enough messiah. Uve seriously gotta be joking...please please please be joking...please God.

We just lost to Catholics and you have to rub it in with the Jesus reference. Thanks *******

Is it just me or is Women's Basketball hard to watch?? It is such an unathletic sport. I have never seen more falling down, tripping, etc... I respect Coach Summitt but as far as player development, if she were a men's coach, she would get berated. Have any of the following players actually improved since they were freshman: Bjorklund, Cain, Baugh, Strickland??? I don't think so.

I found Notre Dame's women easier to watch than this year's edition of the men's Vols. Yes, it's always easier when you're shooting lights out, but they played very smart, excellent ball movement, excellent movement without the ball, backdoors, picking up on double teams, tons of layups on a much bigger team. I miss smart basketball.

I had more passion watching that one lady vol game then I did watching the entire season of the men's game. I even broke my remote against the wall after that technical. Wished I watched more of them now =(

I see the turkey vultures on VN have landed to pick the bones of actual Tennessee fans after a loss....and also to criticize the effin' Coach of the Century-not voted on by Tennessee fans. Typical. Hey, folks, go to the UConn board where you are actually at home. Look at the top border...."An Official ESPN affiliate". Speaks volumes.

CPS is the best. Can't speak for everyone in this thread, but at least for me, observing that another team outplayed her team on a given night is not bashing her.

Back away from the ledge folks. Pat is damn good and she'll get it turned around.

I had more passion watching that one lady vol game then I did watching the entire season of the men's game. I even broke my remote against the wall after that technical. Wished I watched more of them now =(

Was that not a total crap call or what??? comp1.gif

I don't find most women's sports very entertaining. I think that Title IX has allowed most schools to have more women's sports than men's, despite the fact that men's sports draw much larger crowds than women's sports, and rightfully so. Think about the fact that only two or three SEC teams have men's soccer, but they all have women's. And women get to participate in football through cheering. Any time the gov't gets involved in anything, it's usually FUBAR!

Our guards are slow and have been for a few years. Simmons is fast/quick but their girl was probably faster/quicker. Teams with fast guard play have hurt us this year and in the past. Can't go inside with our bigs cause Cain, Brewer, Baugh and Johnson just turn around and hit the underside of the rim and proceed to fall down. Its works fine against the little SEC teams but when the competition was raised in the tournament it showed. We need to get some more athletic ball players in here that can create their own shots and guard the faster guards...But at the same time give credit where credit is due. They had another phenomenal year just came up short!

I love the Lady Vols and Pat Summitt. The game result really hurt -- I can just imagine how they all felt, especially Angie Bjorklund since it was her last game as a LV. But they had a terrific season and I think are still the classiest team (and the saving grace for UT athletics right now) led by the classiest coach (even with her paint-peeling half-time talks - :)) I think Notre Dame was super-motivated because of the 0-20 thing and felt they had more to prove. And knowing that added more pressure on the LV's. It just hurts when you know the HUGE amount of talent that's there but they have a bad game. Angie not hitting 3's was a big impact, as well as Meighan being out for fouls so early. And turnovers were a serious problem. As always, Alicia Manning was a real go-getter -- she truly is an unsung hero as she puts it all on the floor every time she goes in. She may not score a lot, but she adds so much in many other ways. Would love to see her out there more. Hopefully this will be the motivation to get them to the Final 4 next year - and the championship! Go Lady Vols! Thanks for a great year!

Last edited:
CPS was the best. Can't speak for everyone in this thread, but at least for me, observing that another team outplayed her team on a given night is not bashing her.
As hard as it might be for some to swallow Geno is now the best coach in the womens game.

It didn't help matters that the SEC was so sorry this year. I don't like not playing tougher competition late in the year. Also, can't take nothing away from the Leprechauns, they played some ball last night.

I really really hope this is just a big troll thread. You people would criticize Jesus on not being a good enough messiah. Uve seriously gotta be joking...please please please be joking...please God.

Couldn't agree more! Where do all these Summitt bashers think we could find a better coach. Would you want Gino, or ANY of the other top coaches including the men's coaches. I don't think so. Ask Kansas if they are ready to replace their coach and with whom? So, even if CPS made mistakes, who do we think could replace her. In my opinion, the team needs a big dose of confidence in their abilities!!! I don't think they need someone screaming at them in a televised half time show. Some of the players were cringing at the remarks being made. So if CPS needs to improve, it is in the area if being able to inspire her players to do their best. That was obviously lacking. These girls are VERY TALENTED. I can't wait until next year. Go Lady Vols! Your fans love you!

As hard as it might be for some to swallow Geno is now the best coach in the womens game.

A pointless argument (saying "PS is the best" was meant to show support and proper respect, not as a quantitative assertion), but nonetheless I'll say BS. Geno has the best recruits at the moment, just like PS did when Candace was a Jr/Sr. (Were people so ready to say Geno had lost it when UT won those two years?) Both great coaches (even if he is a prick), and debating which is better is just kind of silly.

A pointless argument (saying "PS is the best" was meant to show support and proper respect, not as a quantitative assertion), but nonetheless I'll say BS. Geno has the best recruits at the moment, just like PS did when Candace was a Jr/Sr. (Were people so ready to say Geno had lost it when UT won those two years?) Both great coaches (even if he is a prick), and debating which is better is just kind of silly.

plus Geno is a cry baby.

Coaches recruit, coaches draw game plans, coaches sub, coaches make moves in games, and they coach up players. That is why we try to get the best coaches. If a coach never changes his/her approach and that coach is not accomplishing what they or anyone else expects, it may call for adjustments in how they coach and who they play on the team. The LV's got embarrassed on national TV two games in a row at half time by Pat's rants. Against the lesser team they responded. Then it was played on Sports Center for a couple of days. The second time was against a stronger team and they lost. Some of you defending her are the same people that were PO'd at MH for not giving CBP a vote of confidence with the media before the men's tournament embarrassment. Yet, on here Pat is a god for tearing her team down.

She is not a player's coach if you have not figured that out yet. The players have. She had the star to bail her out in the past. Not anymore due to growing competition in the women's game. They can still be a really good program beacuse of the tradition and legacy.

Troll away. None of it is true. Good for a laugh though.

To Vols4us, et al ... Are you serious?

Sometimes, the comments on boards are so ludicrous it's hard to know whether a writer is trying to create controversy or is simply dim.

So, your contention is that Pat's 1,000+ wins and rafter full of championships all came because she got "bailed out" by star players, huh? Coaching's that simple. Get a star player; go home early.

First of all, it's obvious you've never coached ANYTHING, because you truly have no understanding of a coach's value. Second, you don't get to 1,000+ wins over 30+ years without understanding how to motivate players.

The LVs came out flat. I don't know why. Pat doesn't know why. I doubt the players could explain why. Sometimes, it just happens. Unfortunately, it happened in an Elite Eight game. I didn't see anything by ND that was all that impressive. They played a smart zone and did a terrific job of clogging the passing lanes. Other than that, what did they do that was so special? (And, I don't mean to criticize them or cheapen their win. They deserve the win and should be proud.)

But, 19-20 year old kids are not machines. Sometimes, they just don't play well. One-and-done tournaments are built for upsets. Anyone here think ND could win a best of seven against TN? I didn't think so.

But, we lose only one player and have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. So, things are still looking rosy for the LVs.

Finally, if you believe the winningest coach in Division 1 history is not indispensable, I'd say you have a permanent ticket on the slow coach. But, don't fret. That trolley always stops in Storrs.

Shots just weren't falling tonight. Nothing really you can do in that situation.

It was MUCH more than just missed shots, they got out-played by Notre Dame's precise passing and play execution. Notre Dame was hustling too to get those rebounds. Poooooooooooooor execution by UT. Inside-out is a good strategy when it works but didn't look like Pat was willing to change. Spani was hitting 3s left and right so why wouldn't you feed her the ball until she got cold? It was a team loss, and people should quit blaming Simmons, it was NOT all her fault!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back