Pahokee coach confused, saddened by Kiffins comments

If one takes ethics seriously "shouldn't" would be viewed as "can't." I think its pitiful that the SEC does not acknowledge the ethical standard in this context. Its a cheap shot at Coach.

Well the rules are what they are. I happen to agree with you ... I think it should be illegal to contact a recruit when they are on an official visit elsewhere. But, those aren't the rules ... NCAA or SEC rules.

There is no ethical standard when it comes to this.

Kiffin told the kid to tell Urban he was solid to Florida and wasn't going to visit UT.

UM had no clue he was on campus supposedly.

Key word being "supposedly" I take it.

CLK needs to keep his mouth shut, coach, and recruit. Coming out with these kinds of statements in public makes his character appear suspect and does nothing to benefit Tennessee.

I'm a huge fan of the hiring of Lane Kiffin and staff, but a few of his comments lately have started to puzzle me a little bit. Lane has yet to ever even coach a game in the SEC, and he has already pissed of various head coaches, including Urban Meyer today. Don't start running your mouth before you have accomplished anything. Meyer and the gators will now try to beat us by 80 points if they can next fall. Kiffin needs to learn to keep some of these comments to himself.

At least he has the balls to stand up for himself and the school. Phil let Spurrier run his azz ragged for years and never shot back. Just kept taking the beating. Well, Kiffin isn't taking a beating anywhere, he's meeting the challenge head on and letting the SEC know the day's of old are gone.

If I'm not mistaken, Richardson said he had to lie about his visiting UT before he and his family could even leave town. If he was under that much pressure before his visit, I don't doubt that there were people that did not want him to come to Knoxville. From this perspective, the CLK comments seem valid.

Guys, it's not just the coach but the community. This was a stupid ass statement with no upside and a hell of a lot of downside. No, the hs coach himself was not called into question but the people of that community sure as hell was. Just an absolutely stupid thing to do.

Guys, it's not just the coach but the community. This was a stupid ass statement with no upside and a hell of a lot of downside. No, the hs coach himself was not called into question but the people of that community sure as hell was. Just an absolutely stupid thing to do.

What he said about the community is that they were solidly Florida fans. How does that insult them? Apparently it was factual. It would be like Meyer pulling out a recruit from Maryville and saying it was hard because up in that of the state the people are all Orange.

Last edited:
What he said about the community is that they were solidly Florida fans. How does that insult them? Apparently it was factual. It would be like Meyer pulling out a recruit from Maryville and saying it was hard because up in that of the state the people are all Orange.

My honest belief is that this story is based on fact but exagerated to some degree to get people excited about the class. Nevertheless, it was stupid. He questioned the character of the people in that community by insinuating that they would purposefully disrupt this kid's LOI with UT. Just stupid!

The HS coach is making it worse by his comments. I mean, the comments or so professional it makes CLK look like an asshat to the people there and anyone else not wearing orange.

Kiffin is succeeding at exactly what he wanted to which was to create buzz, energy and bring back some swagger. He's pushing the envelope, but the envelope needed to pushed off the desk. When's the last time this place has buzzed like this? Unfortunately the last good buzz we've had is after embarrassing losses in the Peach Bowl and the 2005 disaster and last year. It's time to get the positive energy up.

What nobody seems to understand is that this is not "positive energy."

No matter what the story is, the fact that this HS coach is saying its "sad that CLK made these comments" is not a good thing. Period.

CLK needs to make this right. You don't piss off HS coaches at places loaded with talent.

CLK needs to make this right. You don't piss off HS coaches at places loaded with talent.

Agreed. I hope this bridge isn't burned before all is said and done.

Since when did everyone in Florida become so sensitive?
For real. By far, this has been the most entertaining recruiting year in my memory. I've never seen so much drama, it's kind of fun.

As for this story, I think Kiffin's main point was that most recruits from that school end up going to UF, that's the bottom line.

Let's just let this one die... make a new thread called UofF is a bunch of P***IES and lets bash them there... I get tired of seeing PAHOKEE COACH MAD everytime i come on the recruiting thread. This coach is covering his and the administrations butts. SO let's leave this one alone

This high school usually puts out Miami tallent urban has gotten a few that the U does not want. Hopefully UT can keep getting those from the gators.

I am pumped about the direction we are going, but I wish Kiffin would not have made that statement about that school. I don't want to be labeled like CUM has been labeled.

For real. By far, this has been the most entertaining recruiting year in my memory. I've never seen so much drama, it's kind of fun.

As for this story, I think Kiffin's main point was that most recruits from that school end up going to UF, that's the bottom line.

Well that's simply not true. Pahokee has sent a lot of kids to a lot of different schools. FSU gets a bunch, Florida gets a bunch, but it is not locked down for Florida the way Lane Kiffin made out and he really should have kept his mouth shut in this instance. You just don't do that. It's not smart.

I also disagree with our coaches telling these kids to lie to their community, their coaches, and the coaches of our competition. I think it's wrong and it sets a bad precedent of what is expected at a University as proud and prestigious as ours. I don't care the reasoning behind it, if someone did that to us, we'd be royally upset over it. We should be above telling recruits to lie.

People are doing it to us. Does it make it right.. NO. But, this is the real world and they are trying their best to be competitive. I'll let all of this slide, basically cause it's a game within the game. But, these guys better know how to coach what they've got. The Utah's of CFB have proven you can win with less.

Well that's simply not true. Pahokee has sent a lot of kids to a lot of different schools. FSU gets a bunch, Florida gets a bunch, but it is not locked down for Florida the way Lane Kiffin made out and he really should have kept his mouth shut in this instance. You just don't do that. It's not smart.

I also disagree with our coaches telling these kids to lie to their community, their coaches, and the coaches of our competition. I think it's wrong and it sets a bad precedent of what is expected at a University as proud and prestigious as ours. I don't care the reasoning behind it, if someone did that to us, we'd be royally upset over it. We should be above telling recruits to lie.

It's not the only place the practice of misdirection is used though. It's rabid in other places too. That's why you have supposed pipeline schools that shouldn't really pipeline schools.

Misdirection is one thing. Flat-out lying is another entirely. You can't justify this by saying other schools do it. We should be above that. We should stand for something more.

As for Pahokee High School, this year, Pahokee sent two players to Michigan, one to NCState, one to Buffalo, and Nu'Keese to Tennessee. None to Florida. Last year, they sent kids to Western Kentucky, Michigan, Miami, West Virginia, and one to Florida in CB Janoris Jenkins. It is by no-means a pipeline to Florida as Kiffin suggested. This is a talent-rich school and the last thing we need to do is ruin whatever connection we have down there. Our coach has got to learn to keep his mouth shut.

As for Pahokee High School, this year, Pahokee sent two players to Michigan, one to NCState, one to Buffalo, and Nu'Keese to Tennessee. None to Florida. Last year, they sent kids to Western Kentucky, Michigan, Miami, West Virginia, and one to Florida in CB Janoris Jenkins. It is by no-means a pipeline to Florida as Kiffin suggested. This is a talent-rich school and the last thing we need to do is ruin whatever connection we have down there. Our coach has got to learn to keep his mouth shut.

Thanks for this information. It does clarify the situation.

Kiffin must have been pretty stoked about going head to head with Coach Urban--running into him at Nukes house, confronting negative comments about UT, fending off calls while Nuke was on an official visit. It must have loomed pretty large and influenced his comments yesterday about Pahokee.

In this respect I agree with you. I hope Kiff sees where his perception might have been colored in what seems like an intense head to head recruiting battle with Meyer and that he will learn from this.

Last edited:

Considering his exact words were, "Any player that is from Pahokee and Florida wants em', they get em'." I hope he keeps talking and gets the fanbase charged up more, it's been a long time since we have beat Florida and this is the first victory of hopefully many off the field and on the field. Also, just the fact they turned an almost year long commitment to Florida in their backyard is amazing.

VN Store

Back