Outback bowl vs. Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be our best matchup, and before folks say whoo it's too tough. I say it's time to play somebody that is perceived better. Our young players need the challenge. And our seniors deserve a chance to play somebody perceived better. We have won 6 out of 7 and 5 straight, bowls usually like hot teams. My choices in order. 1. Michigan 2. Penn St. 3. Minnesota them are the only games that if we when could put us in the top 25 if things fall right. A real player wants to play the best competition he can find, unlike many on the board that would rather we play a Indiana,Louisville and even lower tier team. In fact these teams would more than likely relish the opportunity to play us where the 3 teams I mentioned would think it was beneath them and be a letdown. Now I think Tennessee will be happy for whoever they get, but I always like to play the best possible opponent and I think players and coaches are the same way. GBO!!!!
While I agree with the idea of playing the best perceived team possible, I'm not so sure that Michigan would be perceived as a tougher opponent than Minnesota. Michigan plays in a tougher division but Minnesota played just as well against common opponents as Michigan did. It'll be interesting to see who is ranked higher in the next poll.

But, but.......

It’s not a “blue blood “ matchup with Michigan or Penn St. Beating Minnesota won’t look good ...

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I don’t need any introduction as to who Warmath was. If you read my previous post to the “who?” one, you would know that myself and more gopher fans than you would think know exactly who Murray Warmath was.

Yes. Non playoff bowl games are meaningless in reality.
A bowl game means valuable extra practices for the team. A bowl game means extra exposure for the program. A bowl game means a chance at an extra win. There's plenty of meaning behind bowl games with no national championship implications.

Reactions: feathersax
I was reading the Minnesota message boards and they aren't thrilled with a Tennessee team. They would rather play a more significant team historically. I just thought I'd mention that they think way more of the Floridas, Auburns, and Texas A&Ms than they do of us. How is that for perspective? We are not Alabama and are a down team. We aren't seen as a traditional power any more than Kentucky is at this point. Be happy we earned a bowl and hope for a good match up wherever that may be.

Should we draw them in a bowl game i hope this thought process permeates up to their football team.

I've always liked Minnesota since the 2004 Music City Bowl. Start the video around the 21:15 mark and turn up the volume.

My son & I attended that game. He's a former member of the POTS Band & we remarked how good Minnesota's band sounded. Then they played ROCKY TOP & we went crazy. :D:p

Reactions: wrangler
Outback Bowl College Football New Year's Day Game

Visit and vote in the fan poll for Tennessee.

Go Vols
Tennessee at 66% of the votes. No other team in the SEC is above 8%. Let's keep voting and try to get our guys to Tampa.

If you vote and results do not show then refresh and vote again. You may have to repeat this several times before seeing the results.

Go Vols

Wanting to take the easiest road just to win does not improve you... It teaches you to beat mediocrity...

You can learn more and grow in a hard fought loss than you can in a cupcake scrimmage game win over a soft opponent...

I want this team to continue to have their resolve solidified and their learning to win as team grow against a quality bowl opponent...

Wanting to beat a nobody is loser mentality...

If getting beat makes you better, then when we went 4-8 did we only go 5-7 the next year?

Keep in mind Minnesota only won their 3 non conference games by a total of 13 points. Those 3 opponents - South Dakota St, Fresno St, and Georgia Southern.

Well, with Alabama falling all the way to No. 12 in the CFP rankings, this dream is probably dead. Likely Gator or Music City now.

Wanting to take the easiest road just to win does not improve you... It teaches you to beat mediocrity...

You can learn more and grow in a hard fought loss than you can in a cupcake scrimmage game win over a soft opponent...

I want this team to continue to have their resolve solidified and their learning to win as team grow against a quality bowl opponent...

Wanting to beat a nobody is loser mentality...

Blah blah blah, in regular season I don't disagree. But last game these guys will play together as a team, after all they've been through together, the heart breaking losses, the hard work, different coaches....I think its best they get a win. F your loser mentality crap.

Reactions: feathersax
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back