Outback bowl vs. Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the Minnesota message boards and they aren't thrilled with a Tennessee team. They would rather play a more significant team historically. I just thought I'd mention that they think way more of the Floridas, Auburns, and Texas A&Ms than they do of us. How is that for perspective? We are not Alabama and are a down team. We aren't seen as a traditional power any more than Kentucky is at this point. Be happy we earned a bowl and hope for a good match up wherever that may be.

That seems reasonable. Minnesota has been irrelevant in a conference that seems way weaker than the Herbstreits tout on TV, based on how the B10 typically performs in bowl season, but this year they have been ranked fairly high. The Outback bowl matchup of MN v TN would be a ranked team that was one game away from their conference championship playing a team that hasn't been ranked in years. If I were a Minnesota fan and I believe that my team has re-entered the stratus of top-15 program, then I'm disappointed with the TN matchup. If I were a Minnesota fan with enough team memory, I might like the matchup as the odds would be in their favor for a strong win. As a TN fan, I'm not optimistic TN comes close to beating MN; however, this game would be a good measuring stick for how the program has really developed since August. Frankly, any bowl (music city, gator, etc.) is a good ending to how this year began.

An interesting mix of sentiments about possibly playing us over on Gopherhole.

All Things Bowl Game Speculation

"No one will pay attention to the game is we play A&M or Tennessee. Those teams are in the same class as Indiana and Illinois. Yuck."

yes, but remember, they probably have the same percentage of idiots on their fan boards as we do, here. And... there is some truth to this quote.

I can assure you that Minnesota will be motivated for any bowl game they are in. Despite two tough losses, it has still been a historic season and they are going to want to add another win.

it looks like Texas is going to the Camping World Bowl

More likely Oklahoma State.

The Big 12’s order of finish would be treated as follows based on overall record

Winner of Oklahoma 11-1 vs Baylor 11-1
Loser of Oklahoma vs Baylor 11-1
(Presumably still ranked) Oklahoma State 8-4
Kansas State 8-4
Texas 7-5
Iowa State 7-5

I think we agree...I'd rather win against a weak team than to lose against a good team. Now ultimately, id like to beat a good team. Lol

If you’re going head to head then Minnesota is technically better than Penn State . Obviously not the same name recognition, but they are certainly capable of beating us and would be favored if we faced them.

I'd much rather play Iowa or Indiana than Minnesota. A win is more important @ this point in the rebuild.

My concern is that our team would fight hard and well to win the game while a number of them would pull bonehead stunts and give it away.

I just dont think we have the talent to compete with either of those teams. They are better than many on here think. Yeah Michigan got blown out by OSU but there is no shame in that. Penn State only lost to OSU by 11. I believe both teams would smoke us.

I know we are feeling good about the improvement and all but saying we want UM or PSU in a bowl game is foolish.

Reactions: stumps
Tennessee will beat the ever living CRAP out of Minnesota!! The Vols are getting back to relevancy! What a bunch of morons on the Minnesota boards, bring them on, all day long! I am quite certain we have more team speed than they do for sure! It would be a LETDOWN for the BIG ORANGE to play Minnesota! I'm tired of smack talk from this crap @$$ teams! I don't give a rats @$$ who we play, we are going to WIN! GO BIG ORANGE!!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If you’re going head to head then Minnesota is technically better than Penn State . Obviously not the same name recognition, but they are certainly capable of beating us and would be favored if we faced them.
Agree

I mean, it makes sense that a Minnesota fan isn't aware of Tennessee's brand or history. Most of their fans have only been aware of college football for 2 years.

I think you would be surprised by the number of Minnesota fans that recall a certain Vol that led us to our last B1G championship title as well as our last national title.

Athlons says Tennessee - Michigan in Gator Bowl.
This would be our best matchup, and before folks say whoo it's too tough. I say it's time to play somebody that is perceived better. Our young players need the challenge. And our seniors deserve a chance to play somebody perceived better. We have won 6 out of 7 and 5 straight, bowls usually like hot teams. My choices in order. 1. Michigan 2. Penn St. 3. Minnesota them are the only games that if we when could put us in the top 25 if things fall right. A real player wants to play the best competition he can find, unlike many on the board that would rather we play a Indiana,Louisville and even lower tier team. In fact these teams would more than likely relish the opportunity to play us where the 3 teams I mentioned would think it was beneath them and be a letdown. Now I think Tennessee will be happy for whoever they get, but I always like to play the best possible opponent and I think players and coaches are the same way. GBO!!!!

I have a tape of us spanking gopher butt in Memphis back in the mid-80's.

We can get Lee Greenwood to sing 'God Bless the USA' again....."the lakes of Minnesota & the hills of Tennessee'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back