Outback bowl vs. Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I care about both.

I’m just not overly concerned about a meaningless loss if it were to happen.

I’d rather chance a big win, than a sure win vs a snoozer.

To each his own.
Id like to win big too. That’s the point. Just like if I were a Memphis fan I’d be pretty happy to see these bowl projections against Bama. Got that motivation factor. I think we’ll have it. And want it to be a big advantage vs whoever we play

Id like to win big too. That’s the point. Just like if I were a Memphis fan I’d be pretty happy to see these bowl projections against Bama. Got that motivation factor. I think we’ll have it. And want it to be a big advantage vs whoever we play

Well now, Memphis fans don’t really know what they’re asking for.

That’s a horse of a different feather.

Hmmm....now what were we debating a moment ago?
You were saying all football games were meaningless if they didn't have direct playoff implications and I was making fun of you.

Not sure what your point is. Recruits not caring about the game doesn't make it meaningless, either. You have a very strange definition of "meaningless".

Severely outmatched is our ideal bowl matchup. We need a guaranteed win for recruiting and momentum.
There is no such thing as a guaranteed win and if you lose to a nobody it can kill your recruiting and momentum. Better to play stiff competition and raise the expectations of the program than to beat a mediocre team. That is the difference between teams that see themselves being champions and average programs.

Reactions: GoVols64
You were saying all football games were meaningless if they didn't have direct playoff implications and I was making fun of you.

Not sure what your point is. Recruits not caring about the game doesn't make it meaningless, either. You have a very strange definition of "meaningless".

If no one cares....it’s meaningless.

And you’re making fun of me? 👍🏻

OK, I guess you are that guy. I do not want a guaranteed win, if it even exists. What bowl/opponent are you advocating. I'd rather play a top ten team than a guaranteed win, but would prefer being a slight underdog.

Wouldn’t excite me. I’d prefer Michigan, Penn State, or Texas.
This. I want to be excited about that matchup and a big enough name to draw the attention of recruits. Plus, I'd like to see the progress this team is making payoff against a big name opponent.

I seem to recall there was nearly a bench-clearing brawl in that game, but Majors ran onto the field ordering his players back to the sideline, and they complied.
Oh it's been years since I saw that. But I remember it because it was the second bowl game for Tennessee I remember watching as a child. I think Lee Greenwood even sang at halftime.

Minnesota is actually one of my more favorite matchups.

Ranked high but a relatively weak team IMO

Good opportunity for a major victory

Exactly this. I think we would beat the ish outta Minnesota

So it would be better to play Nebraska than Minnesota this year?

No, of course not (and, as you know, Nebraska is not bowl eligible). The point is that victories over "name" teams mean more to the fan base than wins over "lesser" teams. The Sugar Bowl win over Miami meant more to UT fans than the Sugar Bowl wins over Air Force, Tulsa, and Virginia. The Citrus Bowl wins over Michigan and Ohio State meant more to the fans than Citrus Bowl wins over Maryland and Northwestern. 25 years from now, you won't remember that Minnesota had a better team than Michigan. You won't be excited that you beat an insignificant team with an insignificant history in an insignificant bowl. But a win over a team like Michigan, even when neither of our teams are at their peaks, has more meaning. Series records matter to people, especially against our peer schools that are historically significant. Nobody cares about Minnesota. That's why a game against Minnesota would be high risk/low reward.

No, of course not (and, as you know, Nebraska is not bowl eligible). The point is that victories over "name" teams mean more to the fan base than wins over "lesser" teams. The Sugar Bowl win over Miami meant more to UT fans than the Sugar Bowl wins over Air Force, Tulsa, and Virginia. The Citrus Bowl wins over Michigan and Ohio State meant more to the fans than Citrus Bowl wins over Maryland and Northwestern. 25 years from now, you won't remember that Minnesota had a better team than Michigan. You won't be excited that you beat an insignificant team with an insignificant history in an insignificant bowl. But a win over a team like Michigan, even when neither of our teams are at their peaks, has more meaning. Series records matter to people, especially against our peer schools that are historically significant. Nobody cares about Minnesota. That's why a game against Minnesota would be high risk/low reward.
I understand what you’re saying, but you’re comparing some our best teams ever to some of our best opponents ever. I feel like I’m a rebounding time, we need some balance. Play a good team we have a good chance of competing with, the games you mentioned were all wins, but we don’t really talk about some of those bowl games we got taken to the woodshed in. It definitely can take some luster off of a nice turn around this season, if we end up in a game that we get blown out in. That said, bowl games are so unpredictable that it’s hard to accurately predict how any team is going to play outside of the playoffs. So maybe you’re right, but we have bad luck against Penn St., in bowl games, so let’s stay away from them.

Id rather not play a motivated team in a bowl game. I want one that doesn’t really want to be there
I mean I don't think minnesota was expecting to even compete for the Big 10 when the season started so I'm sure they'd want to be there

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back