Our football is going to fly like a bird in 2021

That offensive line for UCF would not look so good playing an 8 game SEC schedule.
Apples to oranges.
The purchasing, care and feeding of SEC athletes is much different than what new coach and new AD were familiar with at UCF. They must get up to speed quickly or will just take their buyout money and move along.

You're right...that is apples to oranges. That OL wasn't recruited to play an 8 game SEC schedule...it was recruited to play an 8 game AAC schedule. The coach was OC at Missouri for two very successful years so I think he knows what an SEC OL looks like.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I agree, and think we're better off in Y1 on D personnel than when our 3 previous coaches started...guess some depends on if we get a few portal players back. That being said, I think a high powered offense, with a good QB helps attract players faster on both sides of the ball than having a good D, with a "meh" offense. Neyland/UT has a tendency to sell itself once it gets rocking...few SEC teams can match it...just way too many false starts over the years to get year over year momentum.
We need elite rushers. We badly lack that .
If you can't get pressure from your linemen I am unsure how well you can compete with the better teams. Sure you can bring a safety, but doing that every time is just asking for it against a good QB and athletic freak WRs. As Coach Fulmer used to say, "you don't have to be elite at every position, but it sure helps."
New coach had better hit the recruiting trail HARD or his time as HC will be short.
IMHO we have no position groups that are good, much less elite.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and Spawn
You're right...that is apples to oranges. That OL wasn't recruited to play an 8 game SEC schedule...it was recruited to play an 8 game AAC schedule. The coach was OC at Missouri for two very successful years so I think he knows what an SEC OL looks like.
You are correct, he knows what an SEC OL looks like.
Can he recruit SEC linemen to Knoxville??
That remains to be seen.
Can he coach our existing players into a competitive unit??
Remains to be seen.
Will the gimmick Orange-Air offense work long term in the SEC?
That too is to be determined.
Success at UCF for a couple years does not automatically translate into SEC wins. Orange fanatics who think we will have an offense like 2020 bama or 2019 lsu next year or any time soon are kidding themselves.

That offensive line for UCF would not look so good playing an 8 game SEC schedule.
Apples to oranges.
The purchasing, care and feeding of SEC athletes is much different than what new coach and new AD were familiar with at UCF. They must get up to speed quickly or will just take their buyout money and move along.
Didn't our HBC OC in the SEC?

That remains to be seen.
Remains to be seen.
Success at UCF for a couple years does not automatically translate into SEC wins. Orange fanatics who think we will have an offense like 2020 bama or 2019 lsu next year or any time soon are kidding themselves.

Your goalposts are moving. Your original point was:

Reactions: FBtime
That remains to be seen.
Remains to be seen.

His offense has been very successful at every school he's been at. No reason to think we can't have a top 4 or 5 offense with the skill players we have.

I personally hope JG does really well at Washington State. That kid was loyal to our program and loved being here. Yeah he struggled a lot but like all starting QB’s got blamed for everything that went wrong. Now I don’t think he’ll be in the running for the Heisman but it wouldn’t bother me. I’d be happy for the kid!!

Well, OD, your opening line of the text I quoted was "I just hope they can catch it", and what you are now "sure of"? They best get busy with the catching part as well as the aggressive throwing part. Cause if you ain't got both? You ain't got shite. That is like having your favorite soda pop without the fizz. Or passing downfield off target getting picked for six the other way.

Personally, it won't hurt my feelings if they mix in 2 tight end sets. So if the opponent adjusts to stop the long range stuff? You have 2 big options to pick up 8 to 18 yards and it spreads their coverage. Dooley, Jones and Pruitt all failed to make effective use of the tight ends. Plus the running game needs to make use of power back as well as fast backs. You take what the defense gives you. And your offense has to be able to figure out how to do that.

I listened to our offensive coordinator here, and I liked what he had to say. At first, I did say I hope they can catch, but you know what, I’m pretty sure that they are going to catch it. After looking back at the last three seasons we had a lot of dropped balls, quarterbacks throwing off target, and throwing to the defense for pick sixes along with sacks. That is one reason I said, I hope they catch it. After what I liked about Alex saying that they will use multiple tight ends to adjust, that right there told me a lot in the offensive scheme plan to speed it up, and the way they teach these kids on plays. It’ll be a different system, but it will be better in my opinion. He also talked about the running scheme of backs. If you haven’t heard him in this video, then kind of listen for a while. I think you’ll like it.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
His offense has been very successful at every school he's been at. No reason to think we can't have a top 4 or 5 offense with the skill players we have.
I have no reason to think a coach change will magickly transform our non existing offense with unproven skill players into a top 4 or 5 offense.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I will say one thing, despite if we see wins or not I’ll at least be happy to see them attempt to actually play to win. Seems like every coach has the same mentality here, throw to the sides(usually behind the line) and hope for the best. Then let the defense get destroyed from being on the field twice as long as the offense. Then the fans/and coaches put the blame on the defense.
I really do think he is here to try to win. Yea, I understand all coaches say that, but Josh had a different mindset on throwing the football more. I think we will see slants, throwing to the sidelines, and I even think we will see even more throws to the corner of the end zone. One thing that I think will change is, we will see deeper throws more down the field. Our offense is going to be different that’s for sure. If we can get some scores early and often, then our defense will be a lot better. There won’t be any pressure on them to play, if we can score a lot of points. I do believe that the defense has to get some stops in games though for us to have a chance to win.

I personally hope JG does really well at Washington State. That kid was loyal to our program and loved being here. Yeah he struggled a lot but like all starting QB’s got blamed for everything that went wrong. Now I don’t think he’ll be in the running for the Heisman but it wouldn’t bother me. I’d be happy for the kid!!
He was loyal to our program. He did struggle a lot, but he had some nice plays as well throwing the ball. He was tough, and it seemed like every hit that he took, he got up again and played the next down. I think he will do better out there. I’ll be happy for him as well. He just wouldn’t quit, and he always felt like he needed to be in there every play. If our players had the heart like him, then we would see a lot more toughness out there. JG always reminded me of heart to play football.

I just hope they can catch it. Welcome to our new offense. The football will be soaring in the air, regardless of what happens. Exciting times. Let’s goooo big orange!

Oh, no! Motion, gimerickery, trick plays and it all comes to a halt when you come up against men that play hard nosed football instead of this foolishness. Butch Jones 2.0.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

I listened to our offensive coordinator here, and I liked what he had to say. At first, I did say I hope they can catch, but you know what, I’m pretty sure that they are going to catch it. After looking back at the last three seasons we had a lot of dropped balls, quarterbacks throwing off target, and throwing to the defense for pick sixes along with sacks. That is one reason I said, I hope they catch it. After what I liked about Alex saying that they will use multiple tight ends to adjust, that right there told me a lot in the offensive scheme plan to speed it up, and the way they teach these kids on plays. It’ll be a different system, but it will be better in my opinion. He also talked about the running scheme of backs. If you haven’t heard him in this video, then kind of listen for a while. I think you’ll like it.

He dips? I trust him with the ofense.

I have no reason to think a coach change will magickly transform our non existing offense with unproven skill players into a top 4 or 5 offense.
You didn't even know the new coach's history and experience. Is it possible that "reasons" aren't all that you're lacking in this argument?

Oh, no! Motion, gimerickery, trick plays and it all comes to a halt when you come up against men that play hard nosed football instead of this foolishness. Butch Jones 2.0.
I'd be curious to hear your breakdown of the offense. What foundations of the offense is gimmicky and "trick play"-ish? Specifically, I mean? And which part of his time as SEC OC indicated that he's not used to scheming against "men" that play "hard nosed football"?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

We need elite rushers. We badly lack that .
If you can't get pressure from your linemen I am unsure how well you can compete with the better teams. Sure you can bring a safety, but doing that every time is just asking for it against a good QB and athletic freak WRs. As Coach Fulmer used to say, "you don't have to be elite at every position, but it sure helps."
New coach had better hit the recruiting trail HARD or his time as HC will be short.
IMHO we have no position groups that are good, much less elite.
Just my opinion, but I had a feeling that Pruitt and co, after 2019 were actually developing talent. For whatever reason, it seems every position group regressed last year, though largely, talent was equal or better in most, except WR. So, though I agree that we lack elite talent, I'm also just not sure how much we regressed because of scheme, effort, buy-in, whatever. Need to always add talent, but I'm hoping there will be some bright spots where different scheme or coaches bring out some better performance in some of the groups. I think DL is the hardest position to fake or scheme around weaknesses.

VN Store

Back