Other head coach options (merged)

In order to keep him away Butch secretly mailed JBC a champions of life plaque with many Chuck E Cheese coupons. He’s staying put.

Jim Bob is an OC in the NFL. Doesn’t know how to run a small college program let alone a giant college program. We need someone who has been running college programs for years.

Jim Bob is an OC in the NFL. Doesn’t know how to run a small college program let alone a giant college program. We need someone who has been running college programs for years.

Kirby smart says hello.

Attachments

• smiling_bob.jpg
    smiling_bob.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
Let's Shop!

Gary Patterson
"Patterson has led the TCU Horned Frogs to six conference championships—one Conference USA title in 2002; four Mountain West Conference titles in 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011; and one Big 12 Conference title in 2014—and nine bowl game victories—including victories in the 2011 Rose Bowl and 2014 Peach Bowl. His 2010 squad finished the season undefeated at 13–0 after a 21-19 Rose Bowl victory over the Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day 2011, and ranked second in the final tallying of both major polls."

Chris Peterson:
Currently the head coach at the University of Washington.
Previously the head coach for eight seasons at Boise State University, Petersen guided the Broncos to two BCS bowl wins: the 2007 and 2010 Fiesta Bowls. He is the first two-time winner of the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award, which he won in 2006 and 2009. Petersen also won the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award in 2010.

Bobby Petrino
Petrino has directed his college teams to nine bowl games, including the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl games for both the Louisville Cardinals and the Arkansas Razorbacks. His college teams have achieved four 10-win seasons along with six top-25 finishes.

Tee Martin-You already know.
He is the current offensive coordinator for the University of Southern California Trojans.

Chip Kelly
He was a head coach in the National Football League (NFL) twice, with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2013 until 2015, and with the San Francisco 49ers in 2016. Before coaching in the NFL, he was the head coach of the Oregon Ducks from 2009 to 2012, leading the program to four consecutive BCS bowl game appearances including the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

Gruden (yes, again)
He was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, winning Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 in his first year with the Buccaneers (defeating the Raiders, who had traded him to Tampa Bay the previous off-season). At the time, Gruden was the youngest head coach ever to win a Super Bowl at age 39 years old.

Dan Mullen
Prior to his hiring at Mississippi State, Mullen served as offensive coordinator at the University of Florida and was also under Urban Meyer at the University of Utah, where he was quarterback coach of the Utes during their undefeated 2004 season. He developed quarterback Alex Smith into the number 1 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. After Meyer left to take the head coaching position at Florida, Mullen served as the interim offensive coordinator during Utah's Fiesta Bowl victory over Pitt. During his tenure at Utah, he also recruited and partially developed Brian Johnson, a QB who led Utah to 13–0 and a Sugar Bowl victory in 2009.[4] He also served as quarterback coach under Meyer at Bowling Green in 2001–02.

As a coach, Mullen has tutored several notable players, including quarterbacks Smith (Utah), Josh Harris (Bowling Green), Chris Leak (Florida), Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow (Florida), and Dak Prescott (Mississippi State).

Mullen, along with former San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, are part of the so-called "New Hampshire mafia" as they all have strong connections to New Hampshire.[5]

Or....

We can hire within on the cheap. Interesting times to be a Vol, same as it ever was.

Your thoughts?

I'd be happy with Cooter. Hell, I'd be good with Kiffin at this point. Both would be massive upgrades compared to Butch.

People mentioning gruden and being serious sounds like Butch and his cliches.

I think with any coaching search thread. You just include their current salaries. Because we know UT isn't going to pay. I had a Georgia fan sitting next to me. He basically said he isn't worried about UT because he knows we are not going to pay for a new coach.

All pretty underwhelming with the exception of Chip and Patterson in my opinion.
Peterson is great but it's silly to put him on the list knowing he won't leave that region. And don't give me the, "for enough money".
Tee Martin? Yes he's a Vol but unproven. I certainly wouldn't fire Butch now to go after him with what we know.
Dan Mullen? Dan Mullen is the safe choice. We know he'd coach well but is unproven in a sense. Sure he had Mississippi State highly ranked for a week or two. And yes I know it's more than what Butch has done. And yes I know he doesn't have the talent pool Butch does. But we all saw what a great quarterback can do to help a coach, ala Josh Dobbs, and Mullen had Dak. A great coach would build on his successes and Mullen having had some in the past should be able to get over the humps he hasn't yet.

I would rather see us go after a P J Fleck or Fuentes type than most on that list.

History shows that we will continue to shop in the bargain bin. I think a Venables, Norvell-type is much more likely. Although, as I've said before, if I was Currie, I'd make Stoops get a restraining order against me first.

So basically its Kelly or bust. Gruden is a pipe dream. Patterson isnt leaving TCU. The rest of the list no thanks

Well, everyone keeps boasting about how we have these rich boosters all over the place. So if you believe that and they want Gruden then I believe they can get him. I think he’s going to want $9+ million annually.

VN Store

Back