Other head coach options (merged)

I think it is time to bring back the grumors. The roster is in a lot better shape than when we fired Dooley. Make him say no. At a school like UT money should not be afactor. Look at what Saban has done for Bama.

Money isnt a factor at this point. Anyone who thinks so is just being ignorant. But think aout it, Gruden has probably gotten many coaching offers since he retired. Yet he sits in an analyst booth. I dont know why. But I think he just doesnt want to coach right now. He could be coaching in the NFL if he wanted to.

If somebody can convince me that Kelly can coach defense good enough to compete in the sec I might bite. I just have concerns he is not well rounded enough and can he or will he adjust if his plan isn't working. GBO!

You do realize thats why coaches have defensive coordinators right? If Kelly were to come to UT, I would only want him to focus on the offense and let whatever DC he has to focus on defense.

Kiffen wasn't first choice. If I'm not mistaking didn't they go after muschamp first and then Fisher?

I thought Fisher was first but I could be wrong. I just find it really hard to believe Kiffin was the top choice. And until someone brings me credible proof, I will continue to think that.

Never happened? Majors had just won a NC and developed a heisman winner. Fulmer was the best up and coming coach in the country. Kiffin was the no.1 choice and had developed a heisman winner and play called for another. Strong was the no.1 coaching candidate in the country and had given us z verbal commitment but got spooked by our terrible roster.

If you're going to post at least base it on knowledge instead of purr opinion and misinformation.. you're clueless

Holly crap this has nothing to do with Majors or Fulmer. This has to do with the last three coaching hires. Regardless what anyone thinks Strong was never coming here he was waiting on the Texas job. And as it turned out we wouldn't have been any better off.

Not Butch and I want him gone. But look at the facts and the history of Tennessee coaches.

Do you know the history of Tennessee coaches?

before the dumpster fire the program was in 2008-13 (even a bit before and a bit after) Tennessee had a long time coach. When Phil became head coach he was one of the hottest names in coaching. Before Majors was hired he had won the NC and was THE hottest name in coaching (as far as for coaching hires).

Kiffen was not the first choice, but he was a big name hire.......he just left.....and his career (as a HC) never panned out.
Tennessee was left with Doofy because of everything that was going on, and the timing of Lane leaving.
Doofy got the program down even worse, and had the talent level sucking........The best coaches (to be had) did not want to take the chance/TN would not come off the $

Now everything is totally different........and the money will not be a problem because Tennessee pays over 4.1 now.

Kiffen wasn't first choice. If I'm not mistaking didn't they go after muschamp first and then Fisher?

They went after muschamp, Gundy, and strong before settling on Butch. Our roster was so bad you can't blame them for turning us down. Gundy coaches at his alma mater, champ was HC in waiting at Texas, and we had a verbal commitment from Strong but he got spooked.

before the dumpster fire the program was in 2008-13 (even a bit before and a bit after) Tennessee had a long time coach. When Phil became head coach he was one of the hottest names in coaching. Before Majors was hired he had won the NC and was THE hottest name in coaching (as far as for coaching hires).

Kiffen was not the first choice, but he was a big name hire.......he just left.....and his career (as a HC) never panned out.
Tennessee was left with Doofy because of everything that was going on, and the timing of Lane leaving.
Doofy got the program down even worse, and had the talent level sucking........The best coaches (to be had) did not want to take the chance/TN would not come off the $

Now everything is totally different........and the money will not be a problem because Tennessee pays over 4.1 now.

Pretty sure kiffin was the no.1 choice

I thought Fisher was first but I could be wrong. I just find it really hard to believe Kiffin was the top choice. And until someone brings me credible proof, I will continue to think that.

I have no proof but think he was. He developed a heisman QB and played called 4xr another. Brought in a NFL hof coach as his DC, top paid assistant staff in country. On paper it was a very strong hire

Guys. I know the history of Tennessee coaches but also know Majors and Fulmer both played here both wanted to coach here. It's no different than Spurrier wanting to coach at Florida or Smart to coach at Georgia or anyother coach goes back to coach where they played. It's not hard to understand what I'm saying. Tennessee has never brought in a top proven winning coach that hasn't played here.

Yes, make Bob Stoops get a restraining order against you first, then move on. I would be fine with Miles, Fuente, Venables, Norvell, or my dog at this point over what we have.

Miles? He s 63 and same as Butch, terrible game day coach. Like Venables but you make Kelly get the restraining order

They went after muschamp, Gundy, and strong before settling on Butch. Our roster was so bad you can't blame them for turning us down. Gundy coaches at his alma mater, champ was HC in waiting at Texas, and we had a verbal commitment from Strong but he got spooked.

Not Muschamp, that was 2010 before they hired Dooley. Muschamp was already at Florida in 2012. You’re correct on the other two though, Gundy used UT for a raise, Strong verbally accepted the job before being talked out of it by Tom Jurich.

Last edited:
Pretty sure kiffin was the no.1 choice

After he was hired Tennessee said he was.

I have read that Leach and an unnamed coach was the top choices in 2008.

Patterson and an unnamed sec coach were the top choices after Lane left.

Cant find what I have read right now (will post once I find it), and the story could easily be wrong.

Holly crap this has nothing to do with Majors or Fulmer. This has to do with the last three coaching hires. Regardless what anyone thinks Strong was never coming here he was waiting on the Texas job. And as it turned out we wouldn't have been any better off.

You have no proof of that. It's well documented that strong gave hart his verbal commitment and changed his mind. We literally sent a plane to pick him up

Kiffin was absolutely the top choice in 2008. The people interviewed for the job were Kiffin, Troy Calhoun of Air Force, Turner Gill of Buffalo, Gary Patterson of TCU, and Brian Kelly of Cincinnati. Hamilton also talked on the phone for a couple of hours with Mike Leach. In fact if you go back on the VN archive, you can can find a couple of posters, who had legit contacts, saying two weeks before he was hired that Kiffin would be the next head coach.

After he was hired Tennessee said he was.

I have read that Leach and an unnamed coach was the top choices in 2008.

Patterson and an unnamed sec coach were the top choices after Lane left.

Cant find what I have read right now (will post once I find it), and the story could easily be wrong.

Yea I'd be curious to read that, always understood kiffin got his foot in the door before Fulmer was even fired by playing the Monte card. I also heard that Sumlin was the other candidate when hired Dooley, can't think of another sec coach that would come after lane bolted.

Ultimately I don't care about that, let's just get this hire right

Yea I'd be curious to read that, always understood kiffin got his foot in the door before Fulmer was even fired by playing the Monte card. I also heard that Sumlin was the other candidate when hired Dooley, can't think of another sec coach that would come after lane bolted.

Ultimately I don't care about that, let's just get this hire right

The other SEC coach in 2010 was most likely Bobby Petrino.

Guys. I know the history of Tennessee coaches but also know Majors and Fulmer both played here both wanted to coach here. It's no different than Spurrier wanting to coach at Florida or Smart to coach at Georgia or anyother coach goes back to coach where they played. It's not hard to understand what I'm saying. Tennessee has never brought in a top proven winning coach that hasn't played here.

Doug Dickey, Bill Battle, Robert Neyland....

Last edited:
Doug Dickey, Bill Battle, Robert Neyland....

None of those three had previous head coaching experience when they were hired. Neyland was an assistant at Army, Dickey was an assistant at Arkansas for Frank Broyles, and Batlle was promoted when Dickey left for UF.

Last edited:
Why would Chip come here?

1.) We have the ability to pay him 6-8 million

2.) He would be coaching in the SECE one of the worst divisions in CFB

3.) We have a lot of talent that matches the style of offense he likes to run

4.) We are a top 15 job in CFB

5.) Expectations here aren’t unrealistic, despite popular opinion. He would need to win the East within 5 years which he would

1. We may have the "ability" to pay him that much but the AD and Board of trustees has a history of taking the value hire over a big splash. It's not 100% likely that they would repeat history but at This point I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Reactions: 1 person
1. We may have the "ability" to pay him that much but the AD and Board of trustees has a history of taking the value hire over a big splash. It's not 100% likely that they would repeat history but at This point I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

If wo don't see it (money wise) Butch will not be fired.

Butch is paid 16th among current coaches (there is not much of a difference between 16-6). Tennessee will have to pay at least 20% more for their next coach (if Butch is fired)......that is based off of what Tennessee does and what all other (top paying) schools do. Therefore the next coach will be at the #5 top paid coach or better. So if Tennessee hires someone they will get one of the top coaches, because they will have to pay whoever like they are anyway.

I'm back to what I said 5 years ago:

Hire Paul Johnson and run the wishbone. Nobody else in the SEC does. It gives everybody a lot of trouble.

Tennessee has never achieved its potential with a flat-footed QB. We act as if what's happening now with Dobbs gone is a huge surprise.

As great as #GOAT PManning was, he couldn't beat Florida bc he was a sitting duck. Scott Frost schooled us in the Orange Bowl. The GTech QB just hung about 250 yds on us. Urban Meyer has never won big without a running QB.

Finding really fast and efficient option QBs is easy cos every kid runs the bone/option from Pop Warner. If you can land an option QB that also can throw, you can go a lonnnng way. Longer than we're going now.

Johnson is 180-88, and has never had the level of talent he could recruit to Tennessee.

speaking of scott frost. if you can find video of his practices its obvious the guy knows how to coach. successful off coord and now a successful coach at ucf

VN Store

Back