Olympic Team announced

There is enough talent in the US to put together another team of 12 top players and probably win the silver or bronze (if everyone was healthy and US players didn't play for other countries). There will always be someone left out.

Parker being left out in 2016 was baffling but I believe it was a combination of a lot of factors, but to deny Geno had an opinion or influence is laughable. He may not have made the final call but he was of course consulted and had input. I would say the same goes for Dawn in 2020.

I would have put Nneka on my team over Atkins. I would have Atkins as a backup in case DT can't go. USA Basketball is never going to let DT not be picked if she is willing after all her years of service to the organization and her success. The US team should have picked at least one young guard in 2016 to groom and help with the inevitable transition. Now we still have the two most accomplished guards in history but we also have a lot of youth that on paper are great but it's their first time on stage. I'd say we are the favorites for gold for sure but nothing is guaranteed.

Collier being on the team is because she is is a versatile forward like Stewart. Without EDD and Angel the team needed one more forward who could defend and also stretch the floor. Nneka can do those things as well but I would pick Collier over her in a head to head decision between the two.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
There is enough talent in the US to put together another team of 12 top players and probably win the silver or bronze (if everyone was healthy and US players didn't play for other countries). There will always be someone left out.

Parker being left out in 2016 was baffling but I believe it was a combination of a lot of factors, but to deny Geno had an opinion or influence is laughable. He may not have made the final call but he was of course consulted and had input. I would say the same goes for Dawn in 2020.

I would have put Nneka on my team over Atkins. I would have Atkins as a backup in case DT can't go. USA Basketball is never going to let DT not be picked if she is willing after all her years of service to the organization and her success. The US team should have picked at least one young guard in 2016 to groom and help with the inevitable transition. Now we still have the two most accomplished guards in history but we also have a lot of youth that on paper are great but it's their first time on stage. I'd say we are the favorites for gold for sure but nothing is guaranteed.

Collier being on the team is because she is is a versatile forward like Stewart. Without EDD and Angel the team needed one more forward who could defend and also stretch the floor. Nneka can do those things as well but I would pick Collier over her in a head to head decision between the two.

The US could quite possibly put together a second team that could win gold over this team.

You put

Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Arike Ogunbowale
Dewanna Bonner
Courtney Vandersloot
Allie Quigley
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiera McCowan
Betnijah Laney
Sabrina Ionescu
Brittney Sykes

On a team and I honestly am not sure the Olympic team they chose stands a chance.

The pool of talent in the US is extremely deep. Which is the point everyone is really making. Absolutely no reason people should be on their 4th or 5th games aside from selfishness and cronyism.

Last edited:
Nothing to see here. All these players are well deserving just wish EDD was healthy enough to play. It should not matter even if there were 5 former Vandy players on the team just bring home the GOLD! 🇺🇸

Nothing to see here. All these players are well deserving just wish EDD was healthy enough to play. It should not matter even if there were 5 former Vandy players on the team just bring home the GOLD! 🇺🇸

Plenty to see. No they aren’t. You’re still a blithering idiot.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Speaking of Dewanna Bonner. Talk about another deserving lady who is 33 and has never been on an Olympic team. Sad. Sad. Sad.

I’m sure some of them haven’t played by choice in silent protest of USA basketball. But it’s astonishing to me that someone with her resume has never had the opportunity to represent this country.

Speaking of Dewanna Bonner. Talk about another deserving lady who is 33 and has never been on an Olympic team. Sad. Sad. Sad.

I’m sure some of them haven’t played by choice in silent protest of USA basketball. But it’s astonishing to me that someone with her resume has never had the opportunity to represent this country.
this list is very long

I’m also looking around at some of the other teams.

Strong chance we do not bring home the gold. Australia is going to have an extremely tough team.

Dawn is going to be responsible for keeping all those UCONN players lined out. Don’t think it’s gonna happen. When team USA was team UCONN with Geno at the helm nobody was going to win. Annoying as it is to say that. I’m not convinced Dawn can replicate that success with his players.

If we don’t win the gold it will reflect very poorly on the selection committee and the coach.

I’m also looking around at some of the other teams.

Strong chance we do not bring home the gold. Australia is going to have an extremely tough team.

Dawn is going to be responsible for keeping all those UCONN players lined out. Don’t think it’s gonna happen. When team USA was team UCONN with Geno at the helm nobody was going to win. Annoying as it is to say that. I’m not convinced Dawn can replicate that success with his players.

If we don’t win the gold it will reflect very poorly on the selection committee and the coach.
Australia has Elizabeth Cambage (Las Vegas) and then some aussie players in the WNBA who are role players like Alanna Smith (phoenix) ,Leilani Mitchell (Washington), Ezi Magbegor (Seattle),& Stephanie Talbot(Seattle)

Australia has Elizabeth Cambage (Las Vegas) and then some aussie players in the WNBA who are role players like Alanna Smith (phoenix) ,Leilani Mitchell (Washington), Ezi Magbegor (Seattle),& Stephanie Talbot(Seattle)

Becca Allen is a shooters shooter and Magbegor has a lot more to offer than she’s been given the opportunity to show in the W. Our team is half over the hill. I’m seriously not convinced we’re going to blow everyone up like we usually do.

Tell that to all the other extremely talented and capable players who have missed out on playing in the Olympics for their country thanks to this blatant favoritism and bias

The US could quite possibly put together a second team that could win gold over this team.

You put

Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Arike Ogunbowale
Dewanna Bonner
Courtney Vandersloot
Allie Quigley
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiera McCowan
Betnijah Laney
Sabrina Ionescu
Brittney Sykes

On a team and I honestly am not sure the Olympic team they chose stands a chance.

The pool of talent in the US is extremely deep. Which is the point everyone is really making. Absolutely no reason people should be on their 4th or 5th games aside from selfishness and cronyism.

We should vote on it to be fair...

Tell that to all the other extremely talented and capable players who have missed out on playing in the Olympics for their country thanks to this blatant favoritism and bias
. I am sure Asscrackistan’s national team needs a few more fans. For me I will support the ladies wearing USA across their uniforms 🇺🇸

. I am sure Asscrackistan’s national team needs a few more fans. For me I will support the ladies wearing USA across their uniforms 🇺🇸

Oh come on, that wasn't even an answer. A generation of players who don't get a shot at the Olympics so that UConn's players can get their fourth or fifth medal, and all you can do is deflect. It's not about supporting Team USA. Don't redirect.

Oh come on, that wasn't even an answer. A generation of players who don't get a shot at the Olympics so that UConn's players can get their fourth or fifth medal, and all you can do is deflect. It's not about supporting Team USA. Don't redirect.
I could care less 5 or 0 UCONN players this is who the committee selected so no former lady Vols there aren’t any former lady Vols on the curling team I don’t care I will hope the curling team wins. Damn being insignificant for a decade or more has soured some of you. 🇺🇸

I could care less 5 or 0 UCONN players this is who the committee selected so no former lady Vols there aren’t any former lady Vols on the curling team I don’t care I will hope the curling team wins. Damn being insignificant for a decade or more has soured some of you. 🇺🇸

Stop gaslighting. It's not about former LVs and you know it. Outside of Candace, who everyone with a brain knows should've been on the team in Rio and should be on this team, too, if she hadn't (rightly) washed her hands of that trash organization after the Rio debacle, there's no former LVs that would be in consideration for the team.

Last I checked, Nneka isn't a former LV. And yes, the fact that Ariel Atkins and Napheesa Collier made the team over her is a damn JOKE, and that's putting it nicely.

Meanwhile, all the top men's players except Kevin Durant want nothing to do with the organization at this point, either.

New Olympics team Roster 2021
Chennedy Carter
Nneka Ogwumike
Aja Wilson
Tina Charles
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Breanner Stewart
Diamond Deshields
Arike Ogunbowale
Dewanna Bonner
Kelsey Mitchell

Head coach- Kelly Harper
Assistant- Samantha Williams
Kara Lawson
Candace Parker
Kim Mulkey

New Olympics team Roster 2021
Chennedy Carter
Nneka Ogwumike
Aja Wilson
Tina Charles
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Breanner Stewart
Diamond Deshields
Arike Ogunbowale
Dewanna Bonner
Kelsey Mitchell

Head coach- Kelly Harper
Assistant- Samantha Williams
Kara Lawson
Candace Parker
Kim Mulkey

Ionescu? Having both Carter and Mitchell on the team would be chucker city lol

Several VolNation posters are probably jumping for joy.

I, for one, am not. It makes me sad in that yet another Pat-related basketball tradition has come to an end. Pat was an Olympian and I'm sure it meant a great deal to her to have a Lady Vol on the USA squad every four years. A shame.

Reactions: Rickster
I had no idea that a previous Olympic team had special workouts for the UConn players, and a different workout for non-UConn players. Note that I did not say I was not surprised, only that I had no idea. But if true, it will be like everything else Auriemma does -- accepted because the people covering this sport fall over themselves to protect its image. This misguided insistence that the sport is too fragile to endure controversy, that it must be protected and promoted at all costs, has enabled these behaviors for ages now.

When is the Geno fawning ever going to end?

I was of the assumption that Nneke wasn't on the team because she was ruled out due to injury, but hot damn did she get screwed over...again!

Glad that Peters had the guts to tell it like it is. It's been obvious for some time that there's a whole lot of favoritism going on with the selections, and not always bases on the on court performances of the players.

What is the beef with Nneka? Seriously? I know why Geno has issues with Candace. What's his problem with Ogwumike?

What is the beef with Nneka? Seriously? I know why Geno has issues with Candace. What's his problem with Ogwumike?

When Parker was left off the 2016 team all of the blame was put on Auriemma. I believe that it was true - he did not want her on the team. Now NNeka is left off the team - why aren't fingers being pointed at Staley?

Reactions: 1reVOLver

VN Store

Back