Olympic Team announced

Definitely not. I see nothing wrong with letting the American people decide who represents them.

As usual you have a myopic view of….everything? Doesn’t someone need their meds?

They're assembling an Olympic team, not an All-Star team. It's a meritocracy, not a democratic process! Should we the fans also vote on our gymnasts, swimmers, etc.? Because the FANS know the best path to a gold medal?

I'm not defending the current selection process, which is clearly flawed at best and seriously corrupt at worst, but your "solution" is even worse...

So I see that they named the 3x3 team: Dolson, KLS, Allisha Gray and Kelsey Plum.

What's interesting is that one of the qualifications for making this team was being part of the pool of 29-players in consideration for the USNT...meaning Dolson and KLS were finalists. Let that sink in for a moment...especially KLS. She was a finalist, but Sabrina Ionescu and Arike Ogunbowale were not.

Tell me again how UConn players don't get VIP consideration for nat'l team selections? She's done zilch in the WNBA and is playing for her 3rd team in 3 years 🙄

So I see that they named the 3x3 team: Dolson, KLS, Allisha Gray and Kelsey Plum.

What's interesting is that one of the qualifications for making this team was being part of the pool of 29-players in consideration for the USNT...meaning Dolson and KLS were finalists. Let that sink in for a moment...especially KLS. She was a finalist, but Sabrina Ionescu and Arike Ogunbowale were not.

Tell me again how UConn players don't get VIP consideration for nat'l team selections? She's done zilch in the WNBA and is playing for her 3rd team in 3 years 🙄

Im baffled Arike isnt on 3x3 this is her bread and butter just 1 on 1 beating your man of the dribble and also has that clutch gene.Arike could do this tournament in her sleep.

but she didnt go to UConn.

They're assembling an Olympic team, not an All-Star team. It's a meritocracy, not a democratic process! Should we the fans also vote on our gymnasts, swimmers, etc.? Because the FANS know the best path to a gold medal?

I'm not defending the current selection process, which is clearly flawed at best and seriously corrupt at worst, but your "solution" is even worse...

Read the post again. I said they should allow fans to vote from a pool of players. Select a pool of qualified athletes who can compete at the Olympic level, then let the fans decide.

If you don’t agree, so be it. But you won’t be magically changing my opinion. The selection process is antiquated and does not represent what most people want to see.

As is obvious given all the turmoil surrounding the announcement of the team. Clearly enough people raised a fuss about it that the coach felt she needed to make a statement.

Believe it, this team will not win Gold..if National team organizations will stop focusing on Uconn players things will be ok.. Diana, Bird & Collier are not supposed to be in that team.
Collier is a beast and should be on the team (#stlmade) but Nneka and Arike should both be on the team. It still boggles my mind that CP3 was ever cut.

Reactions: VolBall09
The selection process is antiquated and does not represent what most people want to see.

It should never be about "what most people want to see," it should be about putting the best possible team together. What's the old saying, GM's and coaches who start listening to the fans will soon be sitting with them?

And the process itself isn't antiquated, we just have some of the wrong people involved...

Reactions: mcannon1
Im baffled Arike isnt on 3x3 this is her bread and butter just 1 on 1 beating your man of the dribble and also has that clutch gene.Arike could do this tournament in her sleep.

but she didnt go to UConn.

Arike will never been on a USA Basketball team as long as Geno is a committee member.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It should never be about "what most people want to see," it should be about putting the best possible team together. What's the old saying, GM's and coaches who start listening to the fans will soon be sitting with them?

And the process itself isn't antiquated, we just have some of the wrong people involved...
The first priority should be placed on assembling a team that will win the Gold Medal. However, what Candace Parker said is true. The United States can achieve that with a wide assortment of roster combinations. It isn't necessary to keep selecting the same players over and over again. There are many deserving WNBA players who should have the opportunity to represent the United States in the Olympics. Why not allow players who have never been on an Olympic team, such as a former WNBA MVP like Ogwumike, to participate? In a country with such a deep talent pool, nobody should be making a 5th appearance on the USA Olympic team... but the USA has two who will be doing that this summer. USA Basketball should spread the wealth around a little with some diversity. This isn't right.

The first priority should be placed on assembling a team that will win the Gold Medal. However, what Candace Parker said is true. The United States can achieve that with a wide assortment of roster combinations. It isn't necessary to keep selecting the same players over and over again. There are many deserving WNBA players who should have the opportunity to represent the United States in the Olympics. Why not allow players who have never been on an Olympic team, such as a former WNBA MVP like Ogwumike, to participate? In a country with such a deep talent pool, nobody should be making a 5th appearance on the USA Olympic team... but the USA has two who will be doing that this summer. USA Basketball should spread the wealth around a little with some diversity. This isn't right.

Exactly. I think it’s a shame that there are players well into their 30s who have never had an opportunity to represent their country. Courtney Vandersloot and Nneka at the two that come to mind for me.

I don't disagree. My only issue was the suggestion that fans should be part of the selection process, which is completely asinine...

I don't disagree. My only issue was the suggestion that fans should be part of the selection process, which is completely asinine...

It’s asinine to YOU. Remember, we don’t all hold the same opinions as the great Darth.

Most of what you post is entirely asinine. Hence the reason I rarely interact with you. Just not worth it. If you wanna keep sub posting me we can do this though….

Reactions: Coach Jumper
And I see the UConn idiots from the boneyard arguing that the selections of Taurasi and Bird will be vindicated after the USA wins another Gold Medal. That totally misses the whole point of why they shouldn't be on this year's Olympic team..

And I see the UConn idiots from the boneyard arguing that the selections of Taurasi and Bird will be vindicated after the USA wins another Gold Medal. That totally misses the whole point of why they shouldn't be on this year's Olympic team..
Diana wont even be playing Sue yes Diana has health problems and will be resting on the bench in Tokyo for the 2nd half of the WNBA season

It's absolutely true that the US can win the gold with any number of player combos. The presence of Bird and Taursi will have zero effect on whether the team wins it or not. Both are easily replaced at this point in their careers. Therefore, for them to continue to lap up opportunities for repeat trips to the games is unbelievably selfish. If the selection process is too corrupt to do the decent thing, then the players should do it on their own. Both should definitely decline the selection in favor of a player of equal value to the team, and there are many, who has never been to the Olympics. Not even a hard call.

BTW, I would say the same about a Lady Vol or any other player who was on her third or fourth Olympic team in the twilight of her career.

The selection was typical of the influence (control) UConn has had in WBB for the last 20 years or so. UConn gets what UConn wants as long as ESPN is spinning things. There are a handful of elite teams (at least teams with so-called elite talent) out there but none with the national media in their pocket. Face it, until that dynamic changes, things will be status quo.

Do they actually believe the U.S. wouldn’t win Gold without them? That’s hilarious if true.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back