Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Jewell Loyd
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A'ja Wilson

Tough team. DT really needs to step down and make room for the next gen. If Ionescu is the future face of this team, they should have put her there instead. Bird is still playing at an elite level, but she should step down as well.

Shouldn't be a surprise that no LV is on the team, since Parker has decided to no longer play for the USNT and she's the last LV who was a WBCA or 1st/2nd team AA. Glory is past her prime and Diamond is probably 1 Olympic tournament too early.

Tough team. DT really needs to step down and make room for the next gen. If Ionescu is the future face of this team, they should have put her there instead. Bird is still playing at an elite level, but she should step down as well.

Shouldn't be a surprise that no LV is on the team, since Parker has decided to no longer play for the USNT and she's the last LV who was a WBCA or 1st/2nd team AA. Glory is past her prime and Diamond is probably 1 Olympic tournament too early.

It’s not a surprise but it is evidence of where we are that is sad to see.

Reactions: mcannon1

Yeah Diamond is probably one cycle away but it’s frustrating to see DT up there yet not healthy enough to play in the W… that spot could’ve gone to either of Ionescu or Deshields and I would lean more toward Diamond due to the lack of legitimate small forwards on the team.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
For the first time ever, no Lady Vols:

Ariel Atkins
Sue Bird
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Jewell Loyd
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A'ja Wilson

Believe it, this team will not win Gold..if National team organizations will stop focusing on Uconn players things will be ok.. Diana, Bird & Collier are not supposed to be in that team.

So DT is the only one u see that needs to step aside. And while Bueckers? Lots of stars players that are not invited.
And not everyone can go. If EDD was healthy someone else would have been left off.

I'm not complaining about there not being any former Tennessee players on the team. That's fine.

However, the United States has a very deep pool of talent in women's basketball. They don't have to pick the same players every Olympiad in order to win the Gold Medal. Sue Bird being on her 5th Olympic team at age 40 is ridiculous. Other deserving players should be given a chance to represent the USA. She is not an elite player in the WNBA anymore.

I'm not complaining about there not being any former Tennessee players on the team. That's fine.

However, the United States has a very deep pool of talent in women's basketball. They don't have to pick the same players every Olympiad in order to win the Gold Medal. Sue Bird being on her 5th Olympic team at age 40 is ridiculous. Other deserving players should be given a chance to represent the USA. She is not an elite player in the WNBA anymore.

I agree with everything except Sue not being an elite player anymore. 11+ PPG and 6 apg while shooting over 52% from the floor and 47% from deep is elite. Seattle looks like a different team when she's off the floor.

Staley should be focusing on the development of the future, so Bird should have been passed over for a younger up and coming player. Ionescu and Ogunbowale should have been on the team in lieu of Bird and Taurasi. The US would still win the gold without them.

Believe it, this team will not win Gold..if National team organizations will stop focusing on Uconn players things will be ok.. Diana, Bird & Collier are not supposed to be in that team.
Anyone who questions Napheesa Collier being on the team doesn't watch the WNBA. She's already an elite player, and barring injury, will be a cornerstone for the USNT.

Olympics has become "Club UConn" so who even cares anymore 50% of the roster are uconn alums and LOL guess who is on the payer selection committee.....Geno Auriemma
Then other teams need to step up and produce some stars.

There is zero doubt that Napheesa Collier, Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles, and Sue Bird earned spots on the team. DT should have been left off, and even though Sue deserves a spot based on performance, the only reason to leave her off is because of the need for a succession plan.

At least Maya retired...otherwise, she would have been on the team as well.

All I know is that the WNBA All-Star game is Team WNBA All-Stars vs Team USA and my money is on Team WNBA
Doubtful. Team USA has pretty much 1st and 2nd All-WNBA prospects locked down, save for Jonquel Jones, Liz Cambage and Courtney Vandersloot...all of whom are ineligible for Team USA anyway

Then other teams need to step up and produce some stars.

There is zero doubt that Napheesa Collier, Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles, and Sue Bird earned spots on the team. DT should have been left off, and even though Sue deserves a spot based on performance, the only reason to leave her off is because of the need for a succession plan.

At least Maya retired...otherwise, she would have been on the team as well.
There is plenty of room for doubt on Bird. I disagree with you there.

Reactions: volman128
There is plenty of room for doubt on Bird. I disagree with you there.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not a fan of her playing in her 5th Olympics at the expense of PG experience in 2024, but she's still the 2nd best PG in the league behind Vandersloot, who doesn't play for the USA anyway.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Doubtful. Team USA has pretty much 1st and 2nd All-WNBA prospects locked down, save for Jonquel Jones, Liz Cambage and Courtney Vandersloot...all of whom are ineligible for Team USA anyway

add in
Arike
Nneka
Dearica Hamby
Candace Parker
Myisha Hines-Allen
Dewanna Bonner
Marina Mabrey
Betnijah Laney

and I am sure they will be able to handle Team USA

Last edited:
Reactions: mlindsay