Okay, for real: what, exactly, is wrong with Fulky?

(SIAP, but...) He's not the same player as he was last year. Granted, he played out of his mind toward the end of last year and we could reasonably expect some regression to the mean, but... yeah. I know he was nursing a thumb injury early in the season, but that seems to have healed. Is he a COVID "long hauler"? Something else going on with him injury-wise?
It aint just Fulky; remember last yr. when Vescovi would drive to the basket and dish a little dipsy doodle pass, or score???

His temporary regression is solely based on the virus. Thinking his skills have diminished is extremely short sided. His lack of energy and explosive attributes are apparent. Understand nuance?
Solely based on the virus? Lol. Everyone has had to deal with COVID not just him. Tennessee fans always have excuses for losing. Fact is he’s just not very good.

It aint just Fulky; remember last yr. when Vescovi would drive to the basket and dish a little dipsy doodle pass, or score???
To be fair I’m a bit glad he stopped some of that because Springer does the same thing better generally and it led to Vescovi having 5 TOs per game back when he did it because he needs to learn how to pick his spots a bit better and avoid the jump pass. I think Vescovi has been fine this year.

I personally read too much into his hot streak. He was never built to be a player to carry a team. He is a nice piece but we expected too much from Fulky and from this team.

Solely based on the virus? Lol. Everyone has had to deal with COVID not just him. Tennessee fans always have excuses for losing. Fact is he’s just not very good.
He's not this year, that's for sure. Something has happened because he was pretty dam good last year. His game is built around energy and hustle and that's gone

And no, not everyone has had the virus

He's not this year, that's for sure. Something has happened because he was pretty dam good last year. His game is built around energy and hustle and that's gone

And no, not everyone has had the virus
Meh he’s young stop making excuses. He’s not good. He has hustled no doubt but he has no skill other than that.

Tired of people making excuses for him, if he’s hurt get off the floor, if not stop getting pushed all over the floor and flopping like a fish out of water.
Bingo. At least put that oversized 7-foot good out there instead. At least he takes up space.

So we just overlook the present because he had a good stretch last year? No one makes more excuses for losing than Tennessee fan.
I’m saying that his true talent level is higher than you think and he’s underperforming that talent level

His temporary regression is solely based on the virus. Thinking his skills have diminished is extremely short sided. His lack of energy and explosive attributes are apparent. Understand nuance?
That’s what I see, I would like to see a comparison of dunks year over year. He doesn’t seem to have the energy to get above the rim. No explosion, or quick energy which is probably Covid related.

Doing it for the random football fans that occasionally post but don’t totally know basketball, not for that guy
I’m not a fan of Tenn in any sport anymore. They are all consumed with being average and too many Tenn fans are good with that. I stick around here for good conversations mainly in the political forum.

Reactions: Lankykong
I’m saying that his true talent level is higher than you think and he’s underperforming that talent level

Disagree. He was never recruited to be a high volume alpha dog. Nobody ever saw him developing and doing what he did over the final 12 games or so last year, let alone for a full season.

We see players all the time have an insane hot streak for a month, yet when it comes to Fulky, people act like that stretch should be his baseline instead of actually looking at his HS recruiting profile and overall body of work.

Reactions: GSD82
Sure have. Played from 8 years old until about 20. Even coached a bit. He had a descent season last year and you all treat him like he’s Larry Bird
Can you find a player that regressed as hard as Fulkerson that was not injured, etc. I think it’s really rare. Some people mentioned Jeremy Lin but he was still a useful/good player the year after on the Rockets when they gave him playing time

Disagree. He was never recruited to be a high volume alpha dog. Nobody ever saw him developing and doing what he did over the final 12 games or so last year, let alone for a full season.

We see players all the time have an insane hot streak for a month, yet when it comes to Fulky, people act like that stretch should be his baseline instead of actually looking at his HS recruiting profile and overall body of work.
Barnes has a track record of improving the post players’ midrange jumpers. Look at Alexander: was he a big midrange guy before he was recruited or in his track record before his Junior year? How about Grant Williams in his freshman year? How about Pons as a freshman or sophomore?

I don’t think we’ve seen a guy regress this hard in Barnes’ whole career, much less at TN. Barnes obviously believed in Fulk’s midrange, and unless you think Barnes doesn’t know who can shoot, it’s pretty evident Fulk was close to that level last year in true talent (like 45% or something on midrange post ups). He was the highest rated guy among his class, which included Grant Williams. He was expected to be the best player in that class.

Can you find a player that regressed as hard as Fulkerson that was not injured, etc. I think it’s really rare. Some people mentioned Jeremy Lin but he was still a useful/good player the year after on the Rockets when they gave him playing time
I don’t think he’s regressed I think he played over his head for half of last season or so and now we are seeing who he really is. If you told me he was the back up big like he was 2 years ago I would be thrilled because to me that’s his spot. He has to play a lot because Barnes has botched the roster by not having a viable big

Fulkerson has lost muscle mass, appears lethargic and slow to react, has to come out of the game more, and can't seem to keep up with the pace of the game -- this isn't rocket science. It's pretty obvious at this point what's happened to him, or at least what appears to have happened to him. The real crux of the argument is between people who think it's his fault, people who think Covid has done a number on him, and then a third group who doesn't care why he's worse, only that he's worse.

The one thing I wish people would do is stop crapping on him on these forums as if his decline is all some problem of personal motivation or lack of desire. The guy who won all those games for us last year, and who single-handedly led us to beat Kentucky in Rupp last spring, deserves a little better than being blasted like he is here. I'm pretty sure that guy has a competitive motor. But that's the internet for you.

Fulkerson has lost muscle mass, appears lethargic and slow to react, has to come out of the game more, and can't seem to keep up with the pace of the game -- this isn't rocket science. It's pretty obvious at this point what's happened to him, or at least what appears to have happened to him. The real crux of the argument is between people who think it's his fault, people who think Covid has done a number on him, and then a third group who doesn't care why he's worse, only that he's worse.

The one thing I wish people would do is stop crapping on him on these forums as if his decline is all some problem of personal motivation or lack of desire. The guy who won all those games for us last year, and who single-handedly led us to beat Kentucky in Rupp last spring, deserves a little better than being blasted like he is here. I'm pretty sure that guy has a competitive motor. But that's the internet for you.
Pretty much this
I don’t think he’s regressed I think he played over his head for half of last season or so and now we are seeing who he really is. If you told me he was the back up big like he was 2 years ago I would be thrilled because to me that’s his spot. He has to play a lot because Barnes has botched the roster by not having a viable big
My point was it’s incredibly difficult to play as far as he did over his head, I’ve never seen a guy sustaining it like he did for essentially two months, dominate a league, and then drop back to his previous level. This wasn’t a guy just getting hot from 3, he was driving on basically every big and dominating them on offense, even current NBA players. I think it’s much more likely that he has the true talent of a starter and an impact big when he’s healthy, but we probably have to agree to disagree

Reactions: GSD82

Barnes rips his ass in almost every post game; maybe you should talk to him about it because he's made it clear he's not buying anything you just suggested.

Sure have. Played from 8 years old until about 20. Even coached a bit. He had a descent season last year and you all treat him like he’s Larry Bird
No one has made such a comparison. Since you brought it up, show some examples of posts to back your idiotic statement

VN Store

Back