Okay, for real: what, exactly, is wrong with Fulky?

Pretty much this

My point was it’s incredibly difficult to play as far as he did over his head, I’ve never seen a guy sustaining it like he did for essentially two months, dominate a league, and then drop back to his previous level. This wasn’t a guy just getting hot from 3, he was driving on basically every big and dominating them on offense, even current NBA players. I think it’s much more likely that he has the true talent of a starter and an impact big when he’s healthy, but we probably have to agree to disagree
We do and that’s fine, different opinions is what makes the world go round. Have a good afternoon man.

Reactions: Lankykong
Barnes has a track record of improving the post players’ midrange jumpers. Look at Alexander: was he a big midrange guy before he was recruited or in his track record before his Junior year? How about Grant Williams in his freshman year? How about Pons as a freshman or sophomore?

I don’t think we’ve seen a guy regress this hard in Barnes’ whole career, much less at TN. Barnes obviously believed in Fulk’s midrange, and unless you think Barnes doesn’t know who can shoot, it’s pretty evident Fulk was close to that level last year in true talent (like 45% or something on midrange post ups). He was the highest rated guy among his class, which included Grant Williams. He was expected to be the best player in that class.

So I mentioned that Fulky never projected as a high volume alpha dog and you go in on his midrange game and the midrange game of others under Barnes? What does that have to do with anything I stated? You're doing some serious mental gymnastics here instead of even remotely entertaining you were wrong about Fulk's abilities and overall talent level.

Your 2nd point involving Grant Williams is something I brought up in another thread: Grant Williams is the exception and not the rule! They were both 3 star recruits with hardly any interest from big time basketball programs. So because Grant Williams became an All-American and first round NBA draft pick, then by default everyone else ranked above him should achieve greater heights, including Fulky?

Grant Williams exceeded every single person's expectations and shouldn't be the standard every 3 star post player is held to. He is literally one of the greatest basketball player's in UT's entire history, yet we think this is the new norm.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Pretty much this

My point was it’s incredibly difficult to play as far as he did over his head, I’ve never seen a guy sustaining it like he did for essentially two months, dominate a league, and then drop back to his previous level. This wasn’t a guy just getting hot from 3, he was driving on basically every big and dominating them on offense, even current NBA players. I think it’s much more likely that he has the true talent of a starter and an impact big when he’s healthy, but we probably have to agree to disagree

Then you don't watch enough basketball or sports in general. Over 12 games or so, this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Seriously just google 1 hit wonders in the NBA and click a link. I tried to link it but it won't let me, but you've got lists of guys that had a full NBA season well beyond anything they ever did before or after. And it had nothing to do with injuries.

So I mentioned that Fulky never projected as a high volume alpha dog and you go in on his midrange game and the midrange game of others under Barnes? What does that have to do with anything I stated? You're doing some serious mental gymnastics here instead of even remotely entertaining you were wrong about Fulk's abilities and overall talent level.

Your 2nd point involving Grant Williams is something I brought up in another thread: Grant Williams is the exception and not the rule! They were both 3 star recruits with hardly any interest from big time basketball programs. So because Grant Williams became an All-American and first round NBA draft pick, then by default everyone else ranked above him should achieve greater heights, including Fulky?

Grant Williams exceeded every single person's expectations and shouldn't be the standard every 3 star post player is held to. He is literally one of the greatest basketball player's in UT's entire history, yet we think this is the new norm.
Yeah, guys that are elite midrange shooters can be alpha dogs on offense like Fulk was last year. If you can’t shoot midrange as a big, you can’t be an alpha as a big really unless you’re a crazy freak athlete. Barnes has a history of turning players into good midrange shooters. Fulk was already recruited as an awkwardly athletic cleaner that was good around the rim, so when you add good midrange/covered midrange to that, you basically become a player with potential to be the top option on your team. The midrange shot is crucial to Barnes’ offense and midrange guys thrive in it, hence my discussion there. Unless you think the midrange shooting or athleticism he showed last year was a mirage (hence the agree to disagree above), he should have been expected to be a dominant player this year rather than a flash in the pan.

Then you don't watch enough basketball or sports in general. Over 12 games or so, this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Seriously just google 1 hit wonders in the NBA and click a link. I tried to link it but it won't let me, but you've got lists of guys that had a full NBA season well beyond anything they ever did before or after. And it had nothing to do with injuries.
NBA is a different game, guys actually can adjust to your game and whether you start or not, different coaches, ability of the team, etc. all play a major role of a guy being able to be an alpha. College is fairly different regarding major adjustments to one player on one team year after year unless the player has large weaknesses (think Vescovi main hand) because of the number of teams and limited time to implement stuff due to class, etc. Fulk has the same coach in the same system on a team with the same general philosophy and did not show obvious weaknesses last year, so the usual reasons for a hot streak changing don’t apply. Again, this wasn’t a guy shooting 75% from 3 or something.

I would also argue Fulk was a heck of a lot better than this the entirety of last year, not just in those 12 games

NBA is a different game, guys actually can adjust to your game. College is fairly different unless you have large weaknesses. I would also argue Fulk was a heck of a lot better than this the entirety of last year, not just in those 12 games

The point is that you can google "1 hit wonder in ______" and you can find one for every single sport. This isn't just a basketball issue.

Now you're shifting the argument. Fulky should be better than he is playing now, but I never believed he could sustain what he did at the end of last season. I am arguing against your stance that what we saw at the end of last year from Fulky was his true talent level. I think it was a mirage and a hot streak that we have seen countless players in all sports have. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: Lankykong
The point is that you can google "1 hit wonder in ______" and you can find one for every single sport. This isn't just a basketball issue.

Now you're shifting the argument. Fulky should be better than he is playing now, but I never believed he could sustain what he did at the end of last season. I am arguing against your stance that what we saw at the end of last year from Fulky was his true talent level. I think it was a mirage and a hot streak that we have seen countless players in all sports have. Agree to disagree.
Okay, I actually agree with that. I think he should be like 80% of what he was last year as far as percentages and with better rebounding than he had last year. I think he played a bit above his head last year but should still be starter in the SEC level and 3rd offensive option ish depending on how guys are shooting, which he’s not playing at right now

Regarding the one hit wonder point, I think it’s like wayyyyyyy more common in baseball than any other sport due to variance, I see it as less impactful on NCAAM overall. It’s easier to get really lucky or unlucky in baseball IMO.

He's been injured I think ever since the first Florida game where, if I'm not mistaken, one of the Florida players fell on top of him. Which hurt his hand. Ever since then there has been at least one closeup a game, just about, of him holding his hand and grimacing. Covid I'm sure also maybe.. played a part and fatigue. Also, last game I think I recall hearing...one of the announcers talk about him saying there was something they couldn't say publicly...about what's going on with him. At least I'm pretty sure... they were talking about him, so maybe there is something extra going on that none of us really know about......

One of the most ridiculous, gossipy, loser posts I’ve ever read on this Board....

I’m not a fan of Tenn in any sport anymore. They are all consumed with being average and too many Tenn fans are good with that. I stick around here for good conversations mainly in the political forum.

Then maybe you should stick to the political forum.

He caught the ball just inside the foul the line, in the 2nd half, started to do his little spin move and somehow, he lost the handle of the ball (no foul, no knock away by the defender) and an Auburn kid grabbed it past the 3 point line and started an easy fastbreak. Sad, looks like a sophomore Fulk, again

He isnt the most gifted talent wise but lives off high energy and effort.... But has improved skill each year... I think its mostly mental and lack of big crowds to feed off that energy i believe hurts a less gifted player. No matter what its on him... He has to be better... Has 0 confidence right now

One of the most ridiculous, gossipy, loser posts I’ve ever read on this Board....

Good for you, nobody asked. I guess I'm a gossipy loser for bringing up something an announcer said. Don't know what happened in your life where you where you think it's cool to talk to people like you do...calling people losers, idiots, and saying they have a lack of intellect. Like you're better than everyone else. But hey, I hope you pull through..maybe you're of such high intellect that you've forgotten what it is to be humbled.

Last edited:
Good for you, nobody asked. I guess I'm a gossipy loser for bringing up something an announcer said. Don't know what happened in your life where you where you think it's cool to talk to people like you do...calling people losers, idiots, and saying they have a lack of intellect. Like you're better than everyone else. But hey, I hope you pull through..maybe you're of such high intellect that you've forgotten what it is to be humbled.

Yep, my bad.....Sorry

Reactions: walkenvol
All the excuses are well noted, but they are merely excuses nonetheless. Give OAN the start and 30 minutes per game (less if we need to go four guards).

Just think about all the conditioning and strength work he may have lost along with the lingering fatigue. He has always been skinny and needs the extra strength to bang with those big guys game after game. But could be many other things.

VN Store

Back