Oil Can

C3BABBE3-1831-467D-8110-14564A1FB09A.jpeg
9E05E928-4DC9-4C2B-BD0C-684AE7094DEE.jpeg
Souvenir from the European theatre. Any idea what this is? “One people. One reich. One Fuhrer.” 1 October 1938

Reactions: malinoisvol
Reactions: 3rdDegreeVol
Last night, 3/28/21, 60 Minutes reported on Dave Kindred. After covering the top stories in sports for decades, he’s now covering girls high school basketball.

In 1984, Dave was nationally syndicated and covering the LA Olympics. He wrote an article that was a petulant tirade about Mary Lou Retton being denied a childhood by the rigors of training for the Olympics. I fired off a response. In an ensuing article that was his mea culpa, he quoted me*, saying that I best stated the summation of many replies he had received.

Everybody chooses how to spend their retirement, Dave. You’re not creepy. You’re a sports writer, covering an underserved beat. Keep on scribbling.

*Edit: My words as quoted by David Kindred, 8/30/1984, "You fail to take into account the strength of the human spirit. You presume that the dedication to disciplining talent for healthy human endeavors in the pursuit of excellence requires sacrifices that permanently impair the quality of life.... It is possible for motivated individuals such as Mary Lou Retton to live rich and healthy lives.... Even in the Soviet Union, the human spirit seeks out excellence with dedication. This is the Olympic Spirit. Olympic athletes remind us all of our common humanity through their exemplary efforts. Rejoice in this spirit and set aside your prejudices."

Last edited:
I've posted stories of skydiving. I came across a few pictures.
formation_over_The_Farm.jpg
Freefall formation over Skydive the Farm. I'm in the upper left of the photo - black helmet, gray rig, jumpsuit with orange trim. If you look closely, you can see my orange high top Chucks underneath my booties.

So how does this work? Does the plane nose up into a near-stall, or what exactly? I know there are STOL-type planes that can fly slowly, just barely hanging off their props.
That aircraft was a Twin Otter - two turboprops, big flaps. The pilot holds the bird stable/slow on jump run. Maintaining steady attitude and heading while adult humans are crowding the rear side exit outside and in, then leaving en mass is an art, really. Love a good jump pilot.

That aircraft was a Twin Otter - two turboprops, big flaps. The pilot holds the bird stable/slow on jump run. Maintaining steady attitude and heading while adult humans are crowding the rear side exit outside and in, then leaving en mass is an art, really. Love a good jump pilot.
Dang, if y’all are renting Twin Otters, that’s a pricey sport!

VN Store

Back