Oil Can

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
@OneManGang, Barbara Fields and Shelby Foote are my two favorite historians to have participated in Ken Burns’ The Civil War. Without them, the documentary would be diminished. I’m pleased that The Civil War was so popular and introduced these two to many.

Tin Man

@OneManGang, your mention of Shelby Foote in the countdown thread prompted me to search for videos of Shelby. I found one of a graduation address in 1999. Foote states that school is where one learns how to learn, preparation for the life long learning which the graduates are about to commence. Given that I’ve felt this way since high school, it pleases me to learn that I share this viewpoint with a greatly admired scholar and author.

Tin Man

If the Fates have not woven you a short strand, you will see more of this century than me and seasons of Volunteer football beyond my passing.
I was listening to an interview with Shelby Foote as I read that, my friend. That is a truly a brilliant turn of phrase and reads much as something that would have flowed from his dip pen.

My regards.
@malinoisvol, above is my post to peay’s countdown thread and OMG’s reply. Gotta say, being mentioned in the same sentence as Shelby Foote is quite a compliment.

Fly high, my brother in Orange.

VN Store