Offseason: Pick an annual OOC foe

GT won’t work as they play Georgia every year.

I couldn’t say that VT would really be a challenge year in and out and.

We already know that Texas doesn’t have the stones to play an SEC team on a regular basis, but that would be a fun game to have.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The reason the three SEC-ACC contests you name, plus Kentucky-Louisville, are annual events is because they're all in-state rivalries.

Our equivalent would be Vandy...but since they're in the SEC with us, we already play them annually.

I suppose a Vols - Virginia Tech "border war" could be established, and might actually become something over time.

That's the only near-equivalent that comes to mind. One could make the same kind of argument for Vols - UNC, I suppose, but it seems a weaker invention.

Intentional shot fired at Memphis or are you just trying to stay ACC?

Intentional shot fired at Memphis or are you just trying to stay ACC?

OP specified Power 5. So my response followed his lead and stayed in the Power 5. *thumbsup*

p.s. Widespread disdain among the VN.com crowd for an annual Vols-Memphis game has already been covered, in some detail, in a different thread. No need to rehash that here as well, I think.

An intriguing name for me is Appalachian State.

Only two hours away from campus to campus.

Ik there may be some parity issues in terms of conference strength but App State is a perennial good team that has the potential to work its way up to the AAC or possibly even ACC one day.

An intriguing name for me is Appalachian State.

Only two hours away from campus to campus.

Ik there may be some parity issues in terms of conference strength but App State is a perennial good team that has the potential to work its way up to the AAC or possibly even ACC one day.

The AAC might take em one day especially if someone like Cincy jumps to a P5 but I highly doubt the ACC would every consider em since they've already got 4 teams in NC

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
The AAC might take em one day especially if someone like Cincy jumps to a P5 but I highly doubt the ACC would every consider em since they've already got 4 teams in NC

Yeah I doubt the ACC would just based on size alone. I would really like to see them in the AAC though.

Seems like a logical rivalry that's a lot closer than Memphis if that's the case.

Maybe even Maryland or NCST. NC or VT in Charlotte every year would be a good high visibility game.

Baylor for recruiting.

Beavers and OKST for Battle of the Orange!

Colorado: Rocky Top vs Rockies!
Home and home series with North Carolina and Virginia Tech would be very interesting.:cool:

The UCLA game with Prothro as coach was actually played in Memphis, not Knoxville and not sure if the officiating crew was all SEC or a mixed SEC/Pac10 crew. It was PAC 10 back in the day.

Reactions: onevol74
OP specified Power 5. So my response followed his lead and stayed in the Power 5. *thumbsup*

p.s. Widespread disdain among the VN.com crowd for an annual Vols-Memphis game has already been covered, in some detail, in a different thread. No need to rehash that here as well, I think.

sorry for any repeat. I try to stay out of FF as much as possible to retain my sanity.

We just need to keep the Oklahoma game yearly, high profile should help us with Texas recruiting. But we need to win one bad.

State rivalry vs. MEMPHIS

MTSU!

Actually, I'd like to see the Vols rotate between Memphis, MTSU, UT Chatanooga and ETSU for one of their OOC games.

Mixed in with one cross-conference rivalry game like VT or UNC, one marquee game from a P5 and one cupcake G5 or FCS.

Expand our reach, play UNC, neutral site game every year before the first bye. Rotate cites:

Ontario, Canada
Mexico City, Mexico
Seoul, South Korea
Frankfort, Germany
Vinchensa, Italy
ETC, ETC, ETC!

We can take over the world Brain!

VN Store

Back