Offseason: Pick an annual OOC foe

The reason the three SEC-ACC contests you name, plus Kentucky-Louisville, are annual events is because they're all in-state rivalries.

Our equivalent would be Vandy...but since they're in the SEC with us, we already play them annually.

I suppose a Vols - Virginia Tech "border war" could be established, and might actually become something over time.

That's the only near-equivalent that comes to mind. One could make the same kind of argument for Vols - UNC, I suppose, but it seems a weaker invention.

From that win in Knoxville against Prothro's Bruins to the 1990s this series was special. UCLA has really fallen & doesn't appear to be on the right track. Still, I'd like to see a renewal as CJP has the Vols rolling.:cool:
UCLA folks read this and say..."really, UT?"

I did like the game, though w/ UCLA

VaTch probably makes the most sense regionally...in fact, I'd vote to bring them in, and kick Mizz either to the west, or back to another conference

No. The Vols only have so many OOC slots each season. A mix of home & aways with P5 schools, the occasional neutral site game, home games with G5s, the rare Neyland showcase for lesser in-state programs - this is the way to use those slots. An artificial rivalry is not.

Close by there isn't much to move the needle: UNC, NC St., VT, UVA...meh.

I'd go with Texas....UT vs. UT. A beautiful shade of orange vs. their rusty looking version, Smokey vs. Bevo (Smokey will fare better than UGA)!

I like this one for a special reason. We predate them and yet they presume to refer to themselves as the Real UT. We're coming back now so would love to see us beat that mouthful of sheep dip under TexMex sauce out of them. Perhaps the trophy should be depending on who wins the game topped with the logo below with the proper team orange color. Call it the Real UT or "T" Off.

86169081997.gif
1581783708929.png

Last edited:
From that win in Knoxville against Prothro's Bruins to the 1990s this series was special. UCLA has really fallen & doesn't appear to be on the right track. Still, I'd like to see a renewal as CJP has the Vols rolling.:cool:
That game vs Prothro's Bruins put UT back on the path toward football greatness and was considered s major upset. I tecall Prothro bitching about the officiating by the SEC crew, accusing them of regional bias and saying he was ashamed to be from the south.

VN Store

Back