Offseason: Pick an annual OOC foe

Expand our reach, play UNC, neutral site game every year before the first bye. Rotate cites:

Ontario, Canada
Mexico City, Mexico
Seoul, South Korea
Frankfort, Germany
Vinchensa, Italy
ETC, ETC, ETC!

We can take over the world Brain!

Don't forget Lagos Nigeria. We need to eliminate a few steps in the Daniel Bituli pipeline!

How about Oklahoma? The team that beat us the last 2 times we played them...and we play them again. If UT gives Oklahoma a nice solid ass kicking to start both their seasons, I could see a rivalry in the making.

Reactions: Sarms58
Texas has potential for recruiting purposes. Va or Va Tech could be good and help recruiting also. Carolina or NCSU could help recruiting as well.

For that matter, Miami would work. You can fly to K'ville in about the same time you can drive to UF and in less time than FSU.

UCLA is fun but very little to gain in recruiting.

That game vs Prothro's Bruins put UT back on the path toward football greatness and was considered s major upset. I tecall Prothro bitching about the officiating by the SEC crew, accusing them of regional bias and saying he was ashamed to be from the south.
IIRC didn't we have a man clotheslined by a guy off the UCLA bench on a sure pick 6 running up the sideline. That really kicked up the intensity of this game for a while. Then it just fizzled out.

MTSU!

Actually, I'd like to see the Vols rotate between Memphis, MTSU, UT Chatanooga and ETSU for one of their OOC games.

Mixed in with one cross-conference rivalry game like VT or UNC, one marquee game from a P5 and one cupcake G5 or FCS.

Add Appy to that list and make it an ongoing opening day rotation. Then make VT a permanent "border war" game. Schedule the other 2 ooc games based on need. We can still play UCLA, OU, UNC, or start playing UTjr if we want. But we maintain some flexibility.

Playing Oklahoma doesn’t impact us winning the SEC East. Why not?
As of today..........four "guaranteed" loses doesn't help. And, when UT gets back to being competitive with those SEC schools, why in the world would you want another "50/50" game added every year. Makes zero sense. You could run the table in the East, lose to Bama and OK and have no chance to win the NC with two losses.

As of today..........four "guaranteed" loses doesn't help. And, when UT gets back to being competitive with those SEC schools, why in the world would you want another "50/50" game added every year. Makes zero sense. You could run the table in the East, lose to Bama and OK and have no chance to win the NC with two losses.
Because we actually recruited better nationally when we played better P5 competition. Kids do not want to come here to play OVC or Sunbelt teams. I think one of the weaknesses of our program is we have a lack of headliner games as compared to other programs. We were a much better program when we sought to be the best and played the best competition. Even the fans are getting tired of paying premium prices for weak opposition when there are much better games on TV at home most Saturdays.
And if you think our schedule is difficult because of conference schedule maybe we are in the wrong conference. If you set your goal to be mediocre then you are likely to be there. Bobby Bowden took a bottom feeder program at FSU in the 1970’s and built them into a nationals powerhouse when he said they would play anybody anywhere. Same for Miami and Shnellenbarger.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Virginia Tech/NC State/West Virginia would make the most sense, of course, but I'd love to play someone weird like Texas Christian or Utah.

Because we actually recruited better nationally when we played better P5 competition. Kids do not want to come here to play OVC or Sunbelt teams. I think one of the weaknesses of our program is we have a lack of headliner games as compared to other programs. We were a much better program when we sought to be the best and played the best competition. Even the fans are getting tired of paying premium prices for weak opposition when there are much better games on TV at home most Saturdays.
And if you think our schedule is difficult because of conference schedule maybe we are in the wrong conference. If you set your goal to be mediocre then you are likely to be there. Bobby Bowden took a bottom feeder program at FSU in the 1970’s and built them into a nationals powerhouse when he said they would play anybody anywhere. Same for Miami and Shnellenbarger.
I'm all for a (1) quality OC game. Topic was an "annual" game, and Oklahoma would not be a choice for me. FSU absolutely did that (look at their '81 schedule), but they were also an independent and didn't have set games with GA, Bama, the rest of the SEC, and a good UF (UF sucked then).

If we’re only considering Power 5 teams, VT would be my first choice.

UNC would be close behind, along with WVU or NC State.

I would also like to see us play Virginia at some point.

Either team that would be picked, it should be a distance that most of the fan base could travel to with not a large expense. However, if it were a team east of or north of Knoxville, it would make it really tough for most of the state fan base. By the same token going west of Tennessee, well you get the picture. NO, go north to Ohio, Mich, IND, it's about the same for the whole instate fan base. Ohio St.? Humm, now that's a thought. I dislike them though, would never go, even if I could.

Some SEC schools have an out of conference rivial = South Carolina vs Clemson, Georgia vs GT, Florida vs FSU, etc who do you see as a potential power 5 rival we could play annually?

Notre Dame or Miami..I grew up in the 90's and loved when we played ND, Miami and UCLA. Made for some great games and also 3 different parts of the US to recruit.

VN Store

Back