Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I can drive the damn wheels off your forklift Dave. Though you would probably prefer to keep em on there.

We use the big 10k 4 wheel drive off road lifts with outriggers up front and 55ft of boom. Pick up a 3000lb pallet of shingles and set it on the roof of a 4 story apartment bldg. I usually have 1 of those, a smaller 6k or 8k version for lighter work, and 1 or 2 off road manlifts just for raising workers up to sheet the walls, build soffit, etc. Each machine runs about $3000 a month. We used to have our own Lull forklifts but they got old, and my boss was having to keep a diesel mechanic on full time and spending a fortune on parts...so he got rid of them. New they are over $100k each.

Side note: I periodically observed our diesel mechanic rebuild a differential from the rear end and a transmission . Those things could move and transfer torque in every direction...there were thousands and thousands of parts laid out on the ground. No instructions, no youtube...lol...he just took them apart and put em back together like it was Legos or something. I told him flat out...as a man who has always worked with my hands....if I had the rest of my life to accomplish what he did....and every tool needed...I still couldn't do it. Absolutely amazing. Automatic transmissions, even in a car, work due to witchcraft, not science or physics. This thing was a whole other level...pure black magic. To be able to correctly assemble that, put it back on a very powerful machine and it actually work, in my opinion is just as impressive as a symphony from Mozart, or an equation from Einstein...just brilliance. I am not exaggerating when I say thousands of parts. The machine luckily broke down in the parking lot, and he took the huge transmission off and broke it down to parts on cardboard spread out right next to the machine. Looked like a damn space shuttle blew up. Truly amazing to put that and the rear end back together from parts. I seriously don't think I could ever accomplish either one, WITH a manual for it, just amazing.
Earlier today after reading a post of yours mentioning HP to displacement comparisons, I reminisced yet again about the fastest I've ever moved on land which was 125 mph in my old '73 911T on a 2-lane hwy in Galveston county around 1986... and I probably could have gotten another 5 mph or so if I'd had more road to push it. That was a 2.4L flat six (air cooled boxer) with mechanical fuel injection, and it purred like a cat and ran like a dream. And I also wondered what kind of power comparatively my forklifts generate. The two propane units are Toyota's and they have a great little 4-cyl engine, I think 2L. All 3 of my lifts (the other being the Crown electric) are rated for 5000 lbs at max. lift of about 14 feet. But bigger toys are fun too. When I was a young engineer of 23/24, working in a world scale petrochemical plant, they would let me drive a JLG manlift to go up in the piperacks to access valves and such. A few years ago (like 2014-2015) I did some work at a natural gas plant near Amarillo where they would rent a big diesel fork lift that was probably able to lift 3-4 times what my units will do, and it was used to do maintenance on piping used to connect some big pressure vessels (like 4' x 25') I was supplying/loading with catalyst. On one of my trips there, gassing up my truck at a 7-11, I found a bank envelope on the pad near the gas pump filled with 32 or 33 Benjamins... . That was a very profitable trip for me.

Boarder...short for "one who skates or surfs" gets used frequently in the immigration threads instead of "border". Pretty common.

Escape goat

Pre-Madonna

Pocket presents

The FF is fun. I must admit when I first got a smart phone and came here, I was aghast at how bad grammar is. Again, I am no Rhodes Scholar as yall well know. I have since realized that its the entire interwebz...people are ignorant and lazy. Seemingly mostly ignorant. I certainly fall in the latter category, I am super lazy with punctuation. Always. If you go to sites with lots of younger folks, half of them post as if they are texting. It is worse than Ebonics. "Ur" "b4" nearly unintelligible at times. I am getting old...those damn whippersnappers better stay off my lawn!!!

I started out in the FF. Clicked a link and it went to VN, and it seemed interesting. Then it got really crazy. It's amazing when politics is saner.

How you affect someone gets kind kinky when you start to effect change.
I appreciate the effort. But the neurons tasked with storing this info simply do not function. I can, however, remember a plethora of meaningless trivia.

Reactions: AM64
I appreciate the effort. But the neurons tasked with storing this info simply do not function. I can, however, remember a plethora of meaningless trivia.

My take is you acquire lots of stuff as you get old, and the file clerks upstairs start getting worn down. The file cabinets are stuffed, and it sometimes takes them a day or two to find the precise word you wanted to use. You use a close substitute, and then a couple of days, bam, it pops up. Then it's like "Thanks, guys, but where were you when I needed ya".

My take is you acquire lots of stuff as you get old, and the file clerks upstairs start getting worn down. The file cabinets are stuffed, and it sometimes takes them a day or two to find the precise word you wanted to use. You use a close substitute, and then a couple of days, bam, it pops up. Then it's like "Thanks, guys, but where were you when I needed ya".

Sh!t like that happens a lot when a song comes up in a discussion & you try thinking who it was that sang it.
Somebody at work did that ..... asked about who (group) sang a certain song that came to mind ..... you can't think who to save your life until I'm driving home from work & I think of it then and only then ....... pisses me off...

You must of hired from the same agency where I got my file clerk.

I can't remember, but I don't recognize that name.
I haven't seen him in years but I googled the name to verify if I remembered it correctly, and he is the guy I was thinking about.

He has a completely deadpan delivery and a very twisted sense of humor. Try one of his YouTube videos and tell me if he's the guy.

I'm angry because you don't post fish n pics anymore.

I've been going here and there, but haven't got much to show for myself. Pompano have evaded me all almost all fall, minus one solid trip to Vilano Beach where we got on them. I know they're out there because the reports show people catching em, but I'm cursed it seems. I did post the big shark i caught a couple weekends ago. Going to a spot we normally catch big reds this time of year saturday morning. I'll post an update if I do any good.

Just cause I think you're cute, here's some new-new.

Ndbdn.jpg
This was the crazy day at Vilano. Keeper pomps, reds, black drum, trout, whiting.. including a spotless red my friend was convinced was a state record whiting lmao

20200926_181933-jpg.316609

20200927_092855.jpg
20200927_100646.jpg
20201011_091217.jpg
20201012_180019.jpg20201017_125827.jpg20201017_130341.jpg20201017_141721.jpg20201017_160448.jpg
The last one here is a blue tilapia.. caight a couple last weekend in the creek. First time catching these invasive fish. Fun fact, if you catch them you're supposed to kill them, not release them. Don't tell FWC but I let them go.

Attachments

• 20200926_181933.jpg
    20200926_181933.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 133
I've been going here and there, but haven't got much to show for myself. Pompano have evaded me all almost all fall, minus one solid trip to Vilano Beach where we got on them. I know they're out there because the reports show people catching em, but I'm cursed it seems. I did post the big shark i caught a couple weekends ago. Going to a spot we normally catch big reds this time of year saturday morning. I'll post an update if I do any good.

Just cause I think you're cute, here's some new-new.

View attachment 316603
This was the crazy day at Vilano. Keeper pomps, reds, black drum, trout, whiting.. including a spotless red my friend was convinced was a state record whiting lmao

20200926_181933-jpg.316609

View attachment 316613
View attachment 316619
View attachment 316630
View attachment 316637View attachment 316639View attachment 316640View attachment 316641View attachment 316642
The last one here is a blue tilapia.. caight a couple last weekend in the creek. First time catching these invasive fish. Fun fact, if you catch them you're supposed to kill them, not release them. Don't tell FWC but I let them go.
Nice man.

Sh!t like that happens a lot when a song comes up in a discussion & you try thinking who it was that sang it.
Somebody at work did that ..... asked about who (group) sang a certain song that came to mind ..... you can't think who to save your life until I'm driving home from work & I think of it then and only then ....... pisses me off...

Some songs have been done so many times it's hard to keep which was the original. I generally prefer the original hit, but for "Where Were You When I Needed You" I like The Bangles version - and that song really made the circuit when it came to others singing it. And I do love working song lyrics into a post.

VN Store

Back