Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Just family fun. I would have a beer with anyone who posts here in the OT...even you Luther. As long as we didn't discuss politics a good time would be had by all. We are, after all, all Vols.
Discussing politics in parson is a lot different than on a forum.

I harbor no animus against anybody here except @MercyPercy .

I can drive the damn wheels off your forklift Dave. Though you would probably prefer to keep em on there.

We use the big 10k 4 wheel drive off road lifts with outriggers up front and 55ft of boom. Pick up a 3000lb pallet of shingles and set it on the roof of a 4 story apartment bldg. I usually have 1 of those, a smaller 6k or 8k version for lighter work, and 1 or 2 off road manlifts just for raising workers up to sheet the walls, build soffit, etc. Each machine runs about $3000 a month. We used to have our own Lull forklifts but they got old, and my boss was having to keep a diesel mechanic on full time and spending a fortune on parts...so he got rid of them. New they are over $100k each.

Side note: I periodically observed our diesel mechanic rebuild a differential from the rear end and a transmission . Those things could move and transfer torque in every direction...there were thousands and thousands of parts laid out on the ground. No instructions, no youtube...lol...he just took them apart and put em back together like it was Legos or something. I told him flat out...as a man who has always worked with my hands....if I had the rest of my life to accomplish what he did....and every tool needed...I still couldn't do it. Absolutely amazing. Automatic transmissions, even in a car, work due to witchcraft, not science or physics. This thing was a whole other level...pure black magic. To be able to correctly assemble that, put it back on a very powerful machine and it actually work, in my opinion is just as impressive as a symphony from Mozart, or an equation from Einstein...just brilliance. I am not exaggerating when I say thousands of parts. The machine luckily broke down in the parking lot, and he took the huge transmission off and broke it down to parts on cardboard spread out right next to the machine. Looked like a damn space shuttle blew up. Truly amazing to put that and the rear end back together from parts. I seriously don't think I could ever accomplish either one, WITH a manual for it, just amazing.

What did McDad do to illicit that response?

Good one, luther. When people used to rave on about teaching English by using phonics, I would just start dragging out homonyms and say it can't be done ... get off your lazy butts and do it the right (old fashioned) way. Don't remember ever using "illicit" and "elicit" though.

VN Store

Back