Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I have never heard of an Olds Toronado wagon. Are you sure?
Pretty sure. If I am not 100% correct it could be I was conflating the Toronado diesel with a station wagon of another model I bought her later on... but there was for sure a diesel Toronado we shared for a time.

For 72, who is a spelling nerd like me:

We both know homophones are a bitch to many on the interwebz...here and elsewhere. A man could spend all day pointing out "too"s and "their"s . Yesterday I noticed misuse of "wreaks" instead of "reeks" and being a nerd, pointed it out. The only time I have ever seen" wreaks" properly used is before the word "havoc" whereas "his breath reeks of alcohol, his attitude reeked of condescension" is pretty common.

Anyway, noticed in the FF today that not a single poster...and many used it...correctly used the word "reins" as in "Coach handed over the reins to HB". Every one of them used "reigns" as in " A Pharoah only reigns until someone who wants it more can take his life, and throne." Much like reeks it was a refreshing change. Didn't "nerd out" and correct it in the FF because I was busy posting that video of BM in all the QB threads. These 2 rarely encountered (,for me anyway) homophones were a welcome change from the never ending cringe of too/their.

To others who don't share our love of spelling etc this post might come across as someone who thinks they are super smart or well educated. I am far from that. I got my GED at 17 and am primarily self educated. I dropped out after football season and went to work. I am neither a genius, nor a fool. Like most I am somewhere in between. There are lots of bright folks here, most of which are older and wiser than me. Dont want to come across as "that guy". Go Vols

Pretty sure. If I am not 100% correct it could be I was conflating the Toronado diesel with a station wagon of another model I bought her later on... but there was for sure a diesel Toronado we shared for a time.
Olds did have diesel engines, and they had wagons. I just don't remember a Toronado wagon.

Reactions: RavinDave
Olds did have diesel engines, and they had wagons. I just don't remember a Toronado wagon.
No, I think you're right.

Pretty sure she had the Toronado before I started dating her, and the wagon was a vehicle I purchased for her later on.

But I do remember that Toronado was a nice ride!

No, I think you're right.

Pretty sure she had the Toronado before I started dating her, and the wagon was a vehicle I purchased for her later on.

But I do remember that Toronado was a nice ride!
I like the original Toronado that came out in 1966, I think. Not positive on the year, but close. It was front wheel drive. Maybe they all were until the end???

I like the original Toronado that came out in 1966, I think. Not positive on the year, but close. It was front wheel drive. Maybe they all were until the end???
I believe they WERE all FWD.

Wasn't the Buick Riviera basically the same vehicle from the sister division?

I believe they WERE all FWD.

Wasn't the Buick Riviera basically the same vehicle from the sister division?
Not at first because the Riviera came out in 63 and was rear wheel drive through the 78 model year, from what I recall. The Riviera, Toronado, and the Cadillac Eldorado were all the GM E-body cars, but the Caddy went fwd in 67, and the Riviera in 79. Toronado was from the start.

For 72, who is a spelling nerd like me:

We both know homophones are a bitch to many on the interwebz...here and elsewhere. A man could spend all day pointing out "too"s and "their"s . Yesterday I noticed misuse of "wreaks" instead of "reeks" and being a nerd, pointed it out. The only time I have ever seen" wreaks" properly used is before the word "havoc" whereas "his breath reeks of alcohol, his attitude reeked of condescension" is pretty common.

Anyway, noticed in the FF today that not a single poster...and many used it...correctly used the word "reins" as in "Coach handed over the reins to HB". Every one of them used "reigns" as in " A Pharoah only reigns until someone who wants it more can take his life, and throne." Much like reeks it was a refreshing change. Didn't "nerd out" and correct it in the FF because I was busy posting that video of BM in all the QB threads. These 2 rarely encountered (,for me anyway) homophones were a welcome change from the never ending cringe of too/their.

To others who don't share our love of spelling etc this post might come across as someone who thinks they are super smart or well educated. I am far from that. I got my GED at 17 and am primarily self educated. I dropped out after football season and went to work. I am neither a genius, nor a fool. Like most I am somewhere in between. There are lots of bright folks here, most of which are older and wiser than me. Dont want to come across as "that guy". Go Vols
I busted @OHvol40 the other day with state "boarder".

But now I'm wondering if I use reigns correctly :confused:

Boarder...short for "one who skates or surfs" gets used frequently in the immigration threads instead of "border". Pretty common.

Escape goat

Pre-Madonna

Pocket presents

The FF is fun. I must admit when I first got a smart phone and came here, I was aghast at how bad grammar is. Again, I am no Rhodes Scholar as yall well know. I have since realized that its the entire interwebz...people are ignorant and lazy. Seemingly mostly ignorant. I certainly fall in the latter category, I am super lazy with punctuation. Always. If you go to sites with lots of younger folks, half of them post as if they are texting. It is worse than Ebonics. "Ur" "b4" nearly unintelligible at times. I am getting old...those damn whippersnappers better stay off my lawn!!!

VN Store

Back