Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Nice pool

tenor.gif

Wish
Coming along nicely. Big outdoor fireplace is next in the courtyard View attachment 275555

Wish I had time to come build it for you bro. If you build a real wood burner, instead of gas logs, make sure the Mason who builds it makes it tall enough to "pull". Many times, on free standing fireplaces like I think you're wanting , people dont build a tall enough chimney to get the vacuum necessary to burn a good fire. If its gas logs...nevermind. it wont matter. Best of luck bro. Beautiful home you have there.

Wish

Wish I had time to come build it for you bro. If you build a real wood burner, instead of gas logs, make sure the Mason who builds it makes it tall enough to "pull". Many times, on free standing fireplaces like I think you're wanting , people dont build a tall enough chimney to get the vacuum necessary to burn a good fire. If its gas logs...nevermind. it wont matter. Best of luck bro. Beautiful home you have there.
Thanks Marcus. Gonna be a wood burner. I’ve thought about that and where it will be. I don’t want to get smoked out in that courtyard so I was thinking 8 feet tall.

Thank you for your thoughts . We got home last Tuesday and later that day power was restored with Fiber being restored this morning. Missed the draft, but purchased an over the air antennae and caught up on Chips and Magnum PI...lol. My phone has been on one bar at home location so internet has been almost worthless, although I have occasionally been able to check in for a short time.

Back online ....WooHoo.
I love the new Magnum show.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Thanks Marcus. Gonna be a wood burner. I’ve thought about that and where it will be. I don’t want to get smoked out in that courtyard so I was thinking 8 feet tall.

Depends on the size of the firebox itself, but that may not be tall enough. Tell the Mason to build it 2ft taller than he thinks it should be..lol. lots of guys who lay brick cant even build a real hearth/firebox/chimney. Only a real, experienced Mason can. I love building them. They can be pretty expensive though. It will take 1 extra flue liner and maybe 100 more brick tops to make that chimney taller...unless you are going with a stone veneer then it will be block...so even less extra material. I have seen too many of them built that dont pull worth a crap just bc they were too short. There may be a formula for how many feet of chimney you need for a certain size firebox to pull well...if there is, I have never heard it. Just use a Mason who has built a bunch of them and you should be fine bro
Hope this helps. Go Vols

Edit...building code says a chimney has to be 2 feet taller than anything within 10 feet of it. So make sure it is more than 10 feet from your house ...

Reactions: AirVol
Depends on the size of the firebox itself, but that may not be tall enough. Tell the Mason to build it 2ft taller than he thinks it should be..lol. lots of guys who lay brick cant even build a real hearth/firebox/chimney. Only a real, experienced Mason can. I love building them. They can be pretty expensive though. It will take 1 extra flue liner and maybe 100 more brick tops to make that chimney taller...unless you are going with a stone veneer then it will be block...so even less extra material. I have seen too many of them built that dont pull worth a crap just bc they were too short. There may be a formula for how many feet of chimney you need for a certain size firebox to pull well...if there is, I have never heard it. Just use a Mason who has built a bunch of them and you should be fine bro
Hope this helps. Go Vols

Edit...building code says a chimney has to be 2 feet taller than anything within 10 feet of it. So make sure it is more than 10 feet from your house ...
We were taught some convoluted formula in school for this. I cant remember it but there was a part about how many open sides you have as well. If you are getting a prebuilt box you wont have to worry about this, but height as well.

I think the fricking formula had 13 variables at least and looked like something on einstein's chalkboard. We asked the professor if there was a better rule of thumb we could use instead. And he said "Yeah tell your clients to buy gas". We looked at it and decided it was just something the engineers came up with to eff with us. You would do a page and a half of calculations after spending 30 minutes looking all the variables up and you would get some mundane answer like "11'-3"". At least in structures after those calls you got thousands of kips.

It covered everything from the physical dimensions, to type of wood burnt, base humidity, outdoor air temp vs indoor air temp, elevation.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Wash your hands after you use the restroom...

That scares me more than corona... we have some nasty people in this world.
Question for the board:
As a male, it is possible for me to use a public restroom without touching any doors, flush levers, or personal bits. The only thing I have to touch is my pants and underwear.
Under these conditions, wash hands or no?

Question for the board:
As a male, it is possible for me to use a public restroom without touching any doors, flush levers, or personal bits. The only thing I have to touch is my pants and underwear.

Two all beef patties, special sauce...ah screw it.

Question for the board:
I assume you are using tweezers for your member to make this work?

almost always there is urine on the floor -- ever think about that when you tie or take your shoes off ?
Understood. Yeah I do think about that. Walk through urine, out to car and put my shoes on my floor mat. I've gotta be transferring urine to my car.
Maybe I should go barefoot in the bathroom and put shoes on in car.

VN Store

Back