Offensive Line 2024 Outlook

This...

It is 100% premature to say OL's from the 22 and 23 class are not going to contribute next year...Ideally all of the players mentioned in the OP will come back and players like Lang, Umarov, Bussell, Nichols, Reddick, Clipper, etc. will get legit experience next year as their backups and be ready to take over when those players are out of eligibility...

This narrative that we have to hit the portal hard because a bunch of true and RS freshman haven't contributed yet is way off base IMO
The power that these young old lineman can gain in the gym between now, and next season is substantial. They can study more as well, and be very aware.

The power that these young old lineman can gain in the gym between now, and next season is substantial. They can study more as well, and be very aware.
When Phil Fulmer had things rocking, he had an offensive line full of future NFL players with Jr's and Seniors starting and freshman and sophomores developing in the pipeline. I think Heupel will eventually get to that point.

Might not be about that for some. Might just be ready to move on..

For your question, I doubt they could get better NIL deal over undrafted chance at NFL. Mincy would be only one in that boat IMO. Think other three will pull deals for NFL.
I tend to agree that they are gone. Assuming they are, what do you expect the OL to look like? I’m guessing transfer portal will play a role. I don’t like depending on the portal because there aren’t many NFL caliber players available there and every team in the country wants them.

Everything I've read about Mays' mental game says he is NFL-ready. Unless he has skill or physical detriments unsuitable for the Sunday game... he should cash in wonderfully in the draft.

A starting center who can make the calls quickly and accurately can be a team asset for +15 years. They are usually the best spent money in any successful franchise.

I wouldn't know how he stacks up physically, whether he's slow or undersized for the pro game. I'll hang up and let others address that.
Bob Johnson says hello.

I tend to agree that they are gone. Assuming they are, what do you expect the OL to look like? I’m guessing transfer portal will play a role. I don’t like depending on the portal because there aren’t many NFL caliber players available there and every team in the country wants them.

Impossible to say. It will have to be portal because all potential quality is still young. If depending on them big time learning experience. Be hard even with portal. New QB, OL and TEs. Lot of inexperience in this system.

I think mays and spraggins could stay. It’s usually based on initial feedback from the draft and they could be question marks. I doubt Campbell gets anything other than positive feedback, wright 2.0.

Everything I've read about Mays' mental game says he is NFL-ready. Unless he has skill or physical detriments unsuitable for the Sunday game... he should cash in wonderfully in the draft.

A starting center who can make the calls quickly and accurately can be a team asset for +15 years. They are usually the best spent money in any successful franchise.

I wouldn't know how he stacks up physically, whether he's slow or undersized for the pro game. I'll hang up and let others address that.
CMays is the same physical size as Jason Kelce

if that matters.

The improvement in OLine play when CMays was back in the lineup speaks to his value at the only position on offense that touches the ball every play.

So if Cooper comes back, which seems more likely now that we know he’s not participating in senior day, we could have something like:

LT: ?
LG: Karic
C: Mays
RG: Nichols
RT: Mincey

Reserves: Lang (OG), Reddick (OG), Clipper (OG), Umarov (OT), Johnson III (OT), Grant (OT)

That’s not terrible, although it would be nice to get some help from incoming players via the ‘24 class or portal. I don’t usually count on freshmen to help on the OL, but I could see Seaton starting at LT. I’m no expert but those who are seem to think he’s elite. Mincey has been serviceable but need him to play better. Elarbee will have Karic, Nichols, Lang ready.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
the portal is rejects - CJH needs to buy some 5 star recruits - hopefully Nico can help him out and recruit some too
Hooker
Bru
Lott
Nix
Ray Davis
Keon Coleman
Bear Alexander
Burrow
Hurts
Mertz
Maye
Caleb Williams

Just a small number of transfers. You have no clue what you are talking about.

So if Cooper comes back, which seems more likely now that we know he’s not participating in senior day, we could have something like:

Reserves: Lang (OG), Reddick (OG), Clipper (OG), Umarov (OT), Johnson III (OT), Grant (OT)

That’s not terrible, although it would be nice to get some help from incoming players via the ‘24 class or portal. I don’t usually count on freshmen to help on the OL, but I could see Seaton starting at LT. I’m no expert but those who are seem to think he’s elite. Mincey has been serviceable but need him to play better. Elarbee will have Karic, Nichols, Lang ready.
IMHO…Mincey will move back to LT and the reserve OTs that you listed will battle with a transfer (or two) for the RT spot…Seaton (if we get him 🤞) is the only incoming freshman that could battle for that spot IMO…as good as he is though I’m hoping he can just be a backup and get at least a year under his belt before he’s a starter

Presents a good chance to allow the young guys to get better before starting. The only hitch is waiting in 2024 means these underclassmen will consider the portal. Double-edged sword and all those cliches

VN Store

Back