Offensive Line 2024 Outlook

vol_in_ga

Vols Deep
Some have asked both here and in recruiting forum about next years offensive line and what it could look like. Per the article linked below:

IMG_0043.jpeg

All seems to hinge on the decisions of Campbell, spraggins, and mays. Could be one of our best units. Could be a massive question mark/area of concern.

we need to hit the portal hard here... need depth there as well regardless of who returns
I've said this a few times. A healthy OL development program will have guys who start in their RS Soph or RS Jr year. There are a few guys in any recruiting class who come in both physically ready and mentally capable. But most great OLs are built more than discovered. Next fall is when we should start seeing some of Heupel's project recruits pay off. If they don't, the you're right. UT will have to hit the portal or play young guys through their growing pains.

PS- Seaton could be one of those "dudes" if UT can get him.

Anyone know what the projected draft status would be for the older guys? If they aren't 1st or 2nd rounders that NIL money ought to keep them on Rocky Top!

Reactions: Volanta and Pickle1
Everything I've read about Mays' mental game says he is NFL-ready. Unless he has skill or physical detriments unsuitable for the Sunday game... he should cash in wonderfully in the draft.

A starting center who can make the calls quickly and accurately can be a team asset for +15 years. They are usually the best spent money in any successful franchise.

I wouldn't know how he stacks up physically, whether he's slow or undersized for the pro game. I'll hang up and let others address that.

Reactions: murfvol1
the portal is rejects - CJH needs to buy some 5 star recruits - hopefully Nico can help him out and recruit some too
A handful in the portal will be quality players whose careers were beset with injuries, that are now fully recovered and want a chance to showcase their abilities in a premier conference.

But they still have to be young men who contribute to the culture here. Won't be many who qualify on all counts, but I'll say Heupel and staff have done maybe the best job in college football of creating an environment that matches, supports, and attracts the kind of high character players they want.

Pili is a reminder that even when you find that gem... it's still a rough game.

Everything I've read about Mays' mental game says he is NFL-ready. Unless he has skill or physical detriments unsuitable for the Sunday game... he should cash in wonderfully in the draft.

A starting center who can make the calls quickly and accurately can be a team asset for +15 years. They are usually the best spent money in any successful franchise.

I wouldn't know how he stacks up physically, whether he's slow or undersized for the pro game. I'll hang up and let others address that.
I can't see Mays returning. The others probably will, would be my guess, but I haven't checked their draft status. Don't think anybody is clamoring to draft Campbell or Spraggins so maybe they'll be back.

Mincey &/or Dayne Davis might return, Karic has been a starter and will be back. I do not think Spraggins will return but I see Adison Nichols taking that spot. At another tackle Umarov & JUCO guy Larry Johnson will fight it out. Mays won’t return and Vysen Lang will likely be at center. John Campbell is likely gone.

Vols will likely pickup a tackle and center from portal depending on who is available. I think we will be fine with Oline as some of the guys from Brian Grant, Mo Clipper, Masai Reddick will emerge too.

If these guys haven’t Redshirted, how could they have eligibility left? Isn’t the COVID 5 years over?

Some have asked both here and in recruiting forum about next years offensive line and what it could look like. Per the article linked below:

View attachment 591879

All seems to hinge on the decisions of Campbell, spraggins, and mays. Could be one of our best units. Could be a massive question mark/area of concern.

I will be surprised if any of those are back.. JMO

If these guys haven’t Redshirted, how could they have eligibility left? Isn’t the COVID 5 years over?
If they were in school in 2020, then they are eligible for the extra season/COVID year

Also wow, Campbell would be a 7th year senior? Lolwut

View attachment 591879

Mays will go to the NFL.

I've said this a few times. A healthy OL development program will have guys who start in their RS Soph or RS Jr year. There are a few guys in any recruiting class who come in both physically ready and mentally capable. But most great OLs are built more than discovered. Next fall is when we should start seeing some of Heupel's project recruits pay off. If they don't, the you're right. UT will have to hit the portal or play young guys through their growing pains.

PS- Seaton could be one of those "dudes" if UT can get him.
This...

It is 100% premature to say OL's from the 22 and 23 class are not going to contribute next year...Ideally all of the players mentioned in the OP will come back and players like Lang, Umarov, Bussell, Nichols, Reddick, Clipper, etc. will get legit experience next year as their backups and be ready to take over when those players are out of eligibility...

This narrative that we have to hit the portal hard because a bunch of true and RS freshman haven't contributed yet is way off base IMO

View attachment 591879

That's a very encouraging article.

Reactions: vol_in_ga

VN Store

Back