Nuclear Option: Peyton Manning as Head Coach.

Peyton Manning bleeds orange. He’s still a guy that kids playing now/recruits watched growing up.

There’s no way Peyton is not thinking about getting involved watching his beloved Alma mater flounder the way we have been.

I know Scott Frost at Nebraska and Harbaugh at Michigan haven’t been immediate successes—but I am very confident both of those men are going to get their Alma maters back to where they should be.

I think Michigan might win the Big Ten this year. And I think Frost is going to have Nebraska competitive in the next 2-3 years.

Peyton is a football genius. He’s known for knowing what is going to happen before anyone else on the field did. He is a gamer/strategist on the field, and I believe that will translate to coaching success.

He’s got the charisma and the ability to bring in elite staff.

Now is the time to start seriously considering getting Peyton in orange as the face of this program.

I think he will end up restoring Tennessee football and making us elite again.
Peyton has no interest in coaching.

At this point—we have to court him. I think we have nothing left to lose at this point.

Get the fan base clamoring for it, and the administration will consider it, and we can make it a reality.

Would be easier to get Gruden

Nothing makes sense? So what’s your solution? Do you not see how it is? Should we wait for all the kids who saw Peyton as a player completely pass the cutoff to be recruited? Or do you take a chance and strike while the iron is hot.

I’m not seeing ANY innovative thinking from anyone in this thread. If there are superior options—I’m all ears. But I think we seriously need to consider making this happen AS THE ONE realistic shot we have as a program to come back.

We’re not bringing in a Saban. Or a Meyer. Or a Dabo.

Why do you keep insisting that the idea of Peyton being coach is realistic? It’s fantasy land. The dude has already said he has no interest in coaching , in particular at Tennessee because he doesn’t want the ugly side of what comes with it. Not only that, he has zero experience. The suggestion is stupid all around man.

Peyton Manning bleeds orange. He’s still a guy that kids playing now/recruits watched growing up.

There’s no way Peyton is not thinking about getting involved watching his beloved Alma mater flounder the way we have been.

I know Scott Frost at Nebraska and Harbaugh at Michigan haven’t been immediate successes—but I am very confident both of those men are going to get their Alma maters back to where they should be.

I think Michigan might win the Big Ten this year. And I think Frost is going to have Nebraska competitive in the next 2-3 years.

Peyton is a football genius. He’s known for knowing what is going to happen before anyone else on the field did. He is a gamer/strategist on the field, and I believe that will translate to coaching success.

He’s got the charisma and the ability to bring in elite staff.

Now is the time to start seriously considering getting Peyton in orange as the face of this program.

I think he will end up restoring Tennessee football and making us elite again.
We can dream can't we?

Or the silly notion that only someone who has UT ties can do well here. I'm sick of that dumbed down notion

Ah yes.

I fondly recall the illustrious history of:

Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones
and
Jeremy Pruitt

When they put on the orange and gave their all for Tennessee as players....oh wait...

Maybe butch jones could have been in pride of the south land...other than that?

Peyton has too many irons in the fire he's enjoying and making good money doing it without all the headaches.....He's even turned down doing announcing jobs for football...one being Monday Night Football.

Oh yeah hire the guy that suggested Butch Jones and then backed Schiano...great idea
And has been seen on TV at numerous games huddled up with Haslam.
All that is now done in the billionaire sky suites in private.
Manning wants part ownership in an NFL team
College coaches are worked to death for peanuts
Peyton can sing with Brad and compete with Flo for the same $$
It is highly unlikely he would do anything to tarnish his legacy at Tennessee
Knoxville is were coaches come to die.

Ah yes.

I fondly recall the illustrious history of:

Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones
and
Jeremy Pruitt

When they put on the orange and gave their all for Tennessee as players....oh wait...

Maybe butch jones could have been in pride of the south land...other than that?
Other schools can do it. Why can't we? Silly and immature notion. Sorry

And has been seen on TV at numerous games huddled up with Haslam.
All that is now done in the billionaire sky suites in private.
Manning wants part ownership in an NFL team
College coaches are worked to death for peanuts
Peyton can sing with Brad and compete with Flo for the same $$
It is highly unlikely he would do anything to tarnish his legacy at Tennessee
Knoxville is were coaches come to die.

So we should just curl up in a ball and accept we’re always going to be a sub par football program?

I chose Tennessee specifically for football and a connection to an Alma mater I could be proud of and enjoy going to games with my family.

I just got back from a long and expensive trip to Knoxville to watch a terrible product.

I’m at the point where I think we need to do something completely out of the box to ever have a chance to be where we should be.

The clock is ticking on this option having maximum firepower so the time is now.

And even if my some chance it did happen most of y’all would turn on him after the first sign of trouble

Peyton doesn’t need the money or hassle of recruiting 24/7, not to mention he is already beloved by the entire fan base. Why risk that by being blown out by Florida? Gruden has a better chance of coaching here than Peyton, which is basically saying it will NEVER happen.

Soon?

So we should just curl up in a ball and accept we’re always going to be a sub par football program?

I chose Tennessee specifically for football and a connection to an Alma mater I could be proud of and enjoy going to games with my family.

I just got back from a long and expensive trip to Knoxville to watch a terrible product.

I’m at the point where I think we need to do something completely out of the box to ever have a chance to be where we should be.

The clock is ticking on this option having maximum firepower so the time is now.
That would entail dropping the silly notion that we must hire a UT guy.

He "knows football" - I've been told for the past 3 years that's the only pre-requisite to being a good coach. People skills or hiring skills don't matter...
Indeed. The closest analogy to football is war. And at the start of every war there is the process required to weed out all of the generals who “know war” from a technical standpoint but cannot actually lead men or read the intangible flow of the battlefield. It is why you see the Grants, Shermans, Patton’s, and Rommels start off wars in lower positions and rise to the top as it becomes evident who has the right mix of intelligence, knowledge, drive, audacity, and gamblers instinct; all while actually making people trust and follow them. You can’t predict or simulate it. It only becomes apparent when the situation occurs. Pruitt has the knowledge. But he is failing as a leader IMO.

Only one problem with bringing PM to coach us.
He is not going to coach for 4 million a year.
PM will require his offensive and defensive cordinators each to make 1-2 million per year.
You would have to pay PM around 8-10 million a yr.
Just don't see administration doing that.

VN Store

Back