Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

More troubles for Sherri Coale at Oklahoma?

A rumor out of Norman has both Ana Llanusa and Taylor Robertson considering entering the Transfer Portal in April.

Needs to get the rooster outta the hen house. Can’t have momma’s pride and joy working with the talent. Since he started there it’s been non-stop transfer at the guard spot.

I would love if we got a shot at either one of the girls leaving. Llanusa in particular, she can shoot it.

I think this is the last hurrah for Sherri the big turnover in staff seemed to be the right move at the start of the season, but they are sliding fast. Still a dangerous team on any given night due to talented players alone, just no direction. Similar to Texas and Tennessee the last few years.

Reactions: BUBear
I am completely ignorant of the situation at Oklahoma. Hope they work it out... SOONer than later. lol

But seriously, I do hope Coale & Co. are able to right the ship soon. OKU was a breath of fresh air back in the day when the Paris sisters were patrolling the paint.

More troubles for Sherri Coale at Oklahoma?

A rumor out of Norman has both Ana Llanusa and Taylor Robertson considering entering the Transfer Portal in April.
I don't know about the transfers, but word around the campfire is Sherri won't last another season here without a miracle ending to this year and at least getting to the Sweet 16. Which probably isn't going to happen given she has zero height on that roster.

Attendance is way down for the WBB events and the team is underwhelming. Both Llanusa and Robertson departing would be a death blow to that team. Llanusa is probably one of the most gifted athletes on that team and would probably start at most places. If she transfers, most teams would make a grab for her. No, she does not need to be in Baylor green...

My wife and I used to attend a few of the WBB games throughout the season. Since last year, she's been pretty "meh" about the situation and doesn't have any desire to go until the team starts performing better. Of course, that starts with coaching. I feel it's time for a change since the $1.1 million we're paying for a coach is not paying for itself through attendance or on court performance.

One thing I will give Joe Castiglione is how loyal he is to the coaches he's hired (or inherited) over the years. He's given Sherri chance after chance to get back to where they were when the Paris sisters played, but she's just missing the mark on developing the talent she's getting.

I think many AD's would have let her go after last season since it's obvious her fire has gone out. I think he's allowing her one more year to try to make things work.

One thing I will give Joe Castiglione is how loyal he is to the coaches he's hired (or inherited) over the years. He's given Sherri chance after chance to get back to where they were when the Paris sisters played, but she's just missing the mark on developing the talent she's getting.

I think many AD's would have let her go after last season since it's obvious her fire has gone out. I think he's allowing her one more year to try to make things work.

She and Karen Aston can be job hunting pals. #TexasSucks

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Joe C should make a run at TCU's coach. She is doing good things for the toads. She does color commentary for the Dallas WNBA team and she knows her stuff. It would also be a chance to get Britney Brown and Abi Olajuwon back to Norman.

Women's Basketball Coaches - TCU Athletics

Make no mistake about it though, Del Conte will use his TCU ties to try and get Pebley to Austin. It might just come down to a bidding war and Joe would have use most, if not all, of Sherri's current salary to obtain her services.

I don't know about the transfers, but word around the campfire is #1...Sherri won't last another season here without a miracle ending to this year and at least getting to the Sweet 16. Which probably isn't going to happen given she has zero height on that roster.

Attendance is way down for the WBB events and the team is underwhelming. Both Llanusa and Robertson departing would be a death blow to that team. Llanusa is probably one of the most gifted athletes on that team and would probably start at most places. If she transfers, most teams would make a grab for her. #2...No, she does not need to be in Baylor green...

My wife and I used to attend a few of the WBB games throughout the season. Since last year, she's been pretty "meh" about the situation and doesn't have any desire to go until the team starts performing better. Of course, that starts with coaching. I feel it's time for a change since the $1.1 million we're paying for a coach is not paying for itself through attendance or on court performance.
#1. If this is true then Joe C has no choice except to cut Coale loose:

Transfer Portal | OUWomensBB

Also I understand the state of the WBB program is affecting fundraising for the softball stadium. People are upset Sherri is not being held to the same standard of other women’s program

#2. Unless she is a Grad-Trans then BIG XII transfer rules would screw her if she decided to transfer within conference... portal be damned.

Joe C should make a run at TCU's coach. She is doing good things for the toads. She does color commentary for the Dallas WNBA team and she knows her stuff. It would also be a chance to get Britney Brown and Abi Olajuwon back to Norman.

Women's Basketball Coaches - TCU Athletics

Make no mistake about it though, Del Conte will use his TCU ties to try and get Pebley to Austin. It might just come down to a bidding war and Joe would have use most, if not all, of Sherri's current salary to obtain her services.
Again, rumors about Sherri's imminent job search and I'm only passing on some grumblings I heard recently at another event. She just got another extension through 2022 last summer, so, the buyout goes back up. Regardless, I'm not sure he'd reach into the Big 12 for a replacement coach. I honestly don't know enough about the who's who in WBB to say "this coach might be a good fit" at OU, but I do recognize the need for a change.

I do agree Sherri will likely get offered a broadcasting position if/when they let her go. She is still has the pedigree to talk objectively about basketball and let's face facts, she's easy on the eyes.

As for the transfers, I'm not sure if any of the starters transfer except in the case of them letting Sherri go. However, nothing is beyond the realm of possible at the moment.

#2. Unless she is a Grad-Trans then BIG XII transfer rules would screw her if she decided to transfer within conference... portal be damned.
Missed the initial part of that quote.

If I'm not mistaken, the fundraiser for the new Softball facility is still in progress, but more of a "hey, we need a seven figure donation in order to name a part of the field after you" sort of thing. They are still passing the hat, but I'd bet Athletics is ready to take the money out of other programs and start building without having a full commitment of funds. As they tend to operate in the black, I'd tend to think Joe C has a plan and budget already mapped out for construction and is maybe waiting to see if they can get a couple more big donors on board before going back to the Board of Regents with a construction plan and timeline.

As with most universities, they are always asking for contributions, but the Sooner Club hasn't really gotten desperate about begging for softball specifically.

OU athletics: OU Board of Regents approves construction of new softball facility, renovations for Sam Viersen Gymnastics Center

**Edit**

Assumption of Athletics moving forward with construction even if fundraising isn't complete.

Last edited:
Georgia started out strong, but now it’s looking like A&M will end up winning this one easily. I’d hoped UGA would help s put a little, but... no dice.

Props to Boston College for getting the win against (overranked) Florida State! They've been showing good competition this season.

Wisconsin has once again deployed the tactical loss of a double digit lead. Sigh.

Auburn holding it down against Miss State, impressive.

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back