No respect from Finebaum today

It's been awhile since I've found him all that interesting. He was OK when he was strictly radio, but since the move to SECN, I just don't get the appeal.
That's interesting - I actually find him more listenable since he went to SECN. He has to appeal to a broader audience on SECN - when he was on Jox in B'ham, it was deranged Iron Bowl talk 365 days a year.

Paul has a shtick and parlayed it very well, especially for a guy who is actually from Tennessee and is a UT alum. When you listen to his show either today or when he was in Birmingham, you'd never know he is a Tennessee alum. He went to B'ham and "got it" as far as the Alabama/Auburn dynamic.

Some non Bama fan actually watches his show, unbelievable.
I think a decent chunk of his SECN audience isn't entirely aware of his pre-SECN shtick. Finebaum gets decent airtime on ESPN now speaking about national CFB storylines - I don't think that audience knows that until SECN came around he ran a 24-7, 365 Alabama/Auburn trash talk show in Birmingham.

Tells you all you need to know
finebaum_alabama.JPG

This is full CONTACT football, not tiddly winks. JG is regularly MAULED by opposing defenses and the times he has done something noteworthy, his own team mates do far worse than Pruitt every game. Quit trying to create safe spaces for the hyperventilating crowd.

Reactions: tatervol
Why do you guys watch finebaum? Why do we need the jerry springer college football to praise us or give us some type of positive recognition?

Paul Finebaum doesn't really care of we like him or not, as long as you are watching his show-he keeps his job, and maybe a raise (he is working that crappy coach angle, get a raise, and a new contract deal...). I do not watch him, this is the only way I can truly register my dislike. If I, or anyone else watches him, this is what he is paid for, viewership. When I see those on this board complaining about what PF said, without their knowing, they are helping him to keep his show, and to continue to put out what they seem to hate, I wish they would stop and think.
Yeah well I don't watch him so there's that

It's been awhile since I've found him all that interesting. He was OK when he was strictly radio, but since the move to SECN, I just don't get the appeal.

It's the ESPN College Gameday model -- take something that's great, entertaining, high value, then add an unnecessary extra hour or two, cram in more ads, start adding more "personalities" so you can use the the fame and presence of the show's signature names to grow the value of your secondary hosts and analysts, (that way you can spin them off, make new shows, or even can the original hosts), and then start changing the format and presentation to try to make the show appeal to "everyone." Aka "who is that woman in the theme song and why is screeching about football?"

Well, I suppose that's more of a general business model, but.

I never believed in The Theory of Evolution but one look at Finebaum's face or his thoughts from his show makes me think it has some merit.

Finebaum is not a Bammer and pulls for his alma mater to win. He's a talk show host and can't be a Vols Homer during his shows. Tebow, McElroy, Rutledge and Spears all love their schools, but aren't full on biast towards them during their shows. Finebaum plays to his audience and it's worked well for him for 20+ yrs.
He is a weasel who likes to start controversy. Along with taking multiple positions on the same question according to who he is speaking with at the time. Hot seat lists are his specialty. After watching or listening to his show since 2010 I quit watching a month ago. Bias is his game now.

Paul Finebaum is in a neck and neck race with John Adams for Butthole of the Century.

GO VOLS

Reactions: 10takum
Just now watching Paul Finebaum, he is against Pruitt’s actions toward JG after he fumbled.
Said “no way do you act like some backwoods coach.”
Well, Paul no way do you act like some damn backwoods announcer either. I don’t think JP acted worse than any other coaches I’ve watched on national TV.
His two sidekicks (commentators) that he has tried to defend Pruitt, Paul did not want to hear it, he cut them off.
If Saban did what Pruitt did ( seen the viedo Pruitt did nothing wrong ) Finebaum would said it was a great job coaching to get his point across. Like Trump says , fake media. Findbaum would never say anything like that about Saban. I have seen other coaches go balistic on the sidelines on a player. Muschamp is one of the worst.

Last edited:
The thing about Paul is he'll never kick you when you are up. He was brutal to Bama during their down years. I miss those days!

Reactions: wmcovol
Just stop and think for a minute. When was the last time he talked about schemes and offensive strategies. I don't ever remember.

Finebaum doesnt know football. He's about the gossip and the drama. Why UT fans watch him still amazes me.

Yes - he's not really knowledgeable (for a guy in his position) about any sports. He's a provocateur and off-the-field focused personality. Got tired of his schtick back in the Fulmer days.

VN Store

Back