No Dobbs tonight

He
He's in the league because Gruden loved him, he has literally shown nothing on the field that would lead you to believe he's an NFL qb. He's a great practice player, then leave Him on the practice squad. Let's not overcomplicate this.
How’s anyone complicating it? Everyone wishing the best for a classy VFL who provided some excitement in our nearly 2 decades of football purgatory.

Much much more .. even the best scientists with 30 years of experience cap out at 250k-300k !!
Dobbs with bachelors would start at 75-85k (if not a football player) but with his football background they might tack on some ‘leadership’ title and give him 150k best case !!

I suspect his education is not complete yet. If he goes to work in his field of study I can see him taking advanced classes.

How’s anyone complicating it? Everyone wishing the best for a classy VFL who provided some excitement in our nearly 2 decades of football purgatory.
I never have, or will, shade any former Vols. The point i was simply try to make is Nathan Peterman, by any metric, is not a better prospect than Josh Dobbs. If He sticks around the league for a while, good on Him.

Last edited:
Just saw where AJ McCarron is out in ATL as backup with an ACL...any chance Dobbs gets a look?

He
He's in the league because Gruden loved him, he has literally shown nothing on the field that would lead you to believe he's an NFL qb. He's a great practice player, then leave Him on the practice squad. Let's not overcomplicate this.
I agree that Dobbs is at least as capable, if not more so, than Peterman

I'm afraid he will be a final roster casualty in Pittsburgh. On the bright side, he has earned over $3M already. He should not have a problem picking up in new environs as a backup. The situation in Dallas is interesting. He will always be a huge asset to any QB room. Chase Daniel has earned over $30M as a backup. Dobbs has a wonderful professional future outside of football any time he wants it. I'm very happy for him either way.
Yeah football is pretty much just a hobby for him...When football is over for him NASA will come calling and he'll have an amazing job for the rest of his life if he chooses it.

Reactions: mudhen
Haskins was 3rd qb in, not a good sign

Wish he could get a good chance to shine

As a VOL and Steeler fan Dobbs is just not what you want in the NFL as your qb. Haskins will get his spot and could possibly jump Rudolph for the back up spot as heir apparent to Ben. Just know Dobbs will be fine and has made good money plus has his job still with Boeing. Despite that he could also possibly get a shot with another team

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Sometimes teams play guys they’ll know they’ve got to cut in order to try to generate trade interest. I wouldn’t think Pitt would keep Haskins as a 3rd QB.
Pitt is keeping Haskins….. they are going to try and keep Dobbs on the practice squad.

I suspect his education is not complete yet. If he goes to work in his field of study I can see him taking advanced classes.
Good point. I don’t know that much about job opportunities in aerospace engineering, but I assume they are highly competitive and a masters or doctorate would be either beneficial or required. With the science fields I’m familiar with, a graduate degree varies between a requirement for employment or a beneficial option.

Like every UT QB since Peyton Manning, Dobbs will be doomed to be the backup to the backup. If here were going to be anything in the NFL, it would have happened by now. Good thing he's a rocket scientist.

I really hope that ATL goes after him. As bad as ATL OL plays its is almost a given that Matty Nice will get dinged up. Franks is garbage. I have no clue what they were doing picking up Franks or AJ. I don't know what kind of money ATL has though. I would think enough to pick up Dobb's although right now ATL is not in a good spot overall.

Falcons need to trade for him or pick him up if cut with AJ going down last night.
Not an AJ fan. The president of the country club I belonged to arranged for AJ to play free at our club during the off-season. Several members objected to the "free ride" he was given and the compromise was that AJ would have to pay cart fees when he played. AJ decided that if he had to pay cart fees, he would not grace us with his presence and to my knowledge, never played there again.

Not an AJ fan. The president of the country club I belonged to arranged for AJ to play free at our club during the off-season. Several members objected to the "free ride" he was given and the compromise was that AJ would have to pay cart fees when he played. AJ decided that if he had to pay cart fees, he would not grace us with his presence and to my knowledge, never played there again.
Only a class A prick would expect a free ride from a country club. Most clubs wouldn't extend any type of "membership" comp

Reactions: kcvols1
I really hope that ATL goes after him. As bad as ATL OL plays its is almost a given that Matty Nice will get dinged up. Franks is garbage. I have no clue what they were doing picking up Franks or AJ. I don't know what kind of money ATL has though. I would think enough to pick up Dobb's although right now ATL is not in a good spot overall.
The Falcons must pick up another QB without delay. There is a preseason game on 8/29 and Ryan won't play, leaving only a less-than-capable Franks. The Steelers have Dobbs under contract and will most likely try to get something out of this by trading him before placing him on the practice squad where he can be poached by any other team for no compensation. Will the Falcons opt to give up assets to acquire Dobbs? Try to wait out 53 man roster cuts? Go in another direction all together? What about other teams in similar situations or looking to upgrade? It has become apparent to me now that Dobbs will end up in a backup role outside of Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh will once more try and cash in on Dobbs.

The Steelers are sitting Ben and Randolph for final game so its Haskins and Josh...reading that Ben likes Dobbs as his eyes on the sideline but coaches think Haskins has bigger upside...one of the 2 will be cut this week

Dobbs supposed to play tonight Haskins started hasn't looked great 3-7 24 yards with 1 int and 1 fumble no points

If Ben goes down, Steelers would be better talking Charlie Batch out of retirement b4 turning it over to Rudolph, Haskins, or Dobbs

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back