NIL final thoughts

NIL didn't create the mess. The NCAA getting away with violations of federal antitrust law for decades did that.
Really sad some of our fanbase can’t fathom a world where the ncaa has no control, it’s almost like they forgot the ncaa was trying to fry us for something almost every big school has now(collectives)

So why do you think the AG of TN filed a (separate from the NIL lawsuit which I agree was for protection from retroactive sanctions) lawsuit SPECIFICALLY naming multiple transfers?

What was it about if not getting rid of the transfer rule, as stated in the press release from the state I shared above?
It’s temporary until the end of this semester.

Attachments

• IMG_7723.jpeg
    IMG_7723.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7724.jpeg
    IMG_7724.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
It’s temporary until the end of this semester.
Currently, but the judge who granted, then extended, the order which caused the NCAA to suspend the transfer rules believes the states will win the case.

I'm EXTREMELY doubtful the NCAA ever restarts enforcement.

You still haven't answered WHY you think the TN AG joined this case? TN has no 2nd transfer players I'm aware of who we started playing in bball after the NCAA suspended the rule (which is why WV sued, so they could play a couple of guys on their second transfer.)

It blows away your notion that UT does not want the transfer rule to go away. WHY would the AG of TN join if UT wants the rule retained?

Really sad some of our fanbase can’t fathom a world where the ncaa has no control, it’s almost like they forgot the ncaa was trying to fry us for something almost every big school has now(collectives)
Agreed x 1,000. It is baffling to those of us who understand the situation, the realities, and that UT is the leader in defining the future.

No. Chief Justice Roberts decides who writes the majority opinion. It was a 9-0 decision in Alston. Gorsuch was picked.

Had someone disagreed with Gorsuch or Kavanaugh, they could've written their own opinion agreeing with the verdict, but disagreeing with Gorsuch or Kavanaugh's reasoning on the verdict.

None of the Justices disagreed with the ruling and apparently none disagreed with Gorsuch or Kavanaugh. The NCAA is cooked and the student-athlete idea is likely going to lose the the employee-athlete idea.
Do either of them have any force of law, apart from upholding the lower court's decision? I am thinking no....they both uphold the lower court's decision...they didn't add or subtract anything, correct?

Yep and dragging politicians in to fix anything, should show you the desperate attempts to repair it.
The "desperate attempts" from my perspective surround what Saban has said recently. If putting the money into a pool for all on the team to draw from is okay, then let's do the same thing for coaches. Coaches in the SEC should all have a pool of money to draw from and each head coach gets what everybody gets. See how Saban is pro collectivism and control for the players but he won't have it for the coaches? Why? Because he wants total control over the players and what they earn. He wants coaches participating in dog eat dog capitalism but not the players. He wants stars to take less and non stars to get more or all get the same. I understand the concept, it's called collectivism. Marx developed it. Let NIL find it's own way and let the market decide who gets what and for how long.

The "desperate attempts" from my perspective surround what Saban has said recently. If putting the money into a pool for all on the team to draw from is okay, then let's do the same thing for coaches. Coaches in the SEC should all have a pool of money to draw from and each head coach gets what everybody gets. See how Saban is pro collectivism and control for the players but he won't have it for the coaches? Why? Because he wants total control over the players and what they earn. He wants coaches participating in dog eat dog capitalism but not the players. He wants stars to take less and non stars to get more or all get the same. I understand the concept, it's called collectivism. Marx developed it. Let NIL find it's own way and let the market decide who gets what and for how long.

Coaches are employees - they can be fired. They have performance bonuses built into their contracts. They are on the hook to hire other staff. They generally plan to stay at said school for more than a year before transferring.

A player is not an employee. They are not "hired" nor paid by performance. If the goal is to make them paid employees, then set their pay based on how they perform. If they don't play - no pay. If they transfer, they lose the money. If they are fired, they lose the money, scholarships, everything. A player can choose to leave as they are not bounded by a contract they would have to repay if they left.

NIL is NOT supposed to be connected to ANY school. It is supposed to be the player making money on their NIL on their own. That is not what is happening.

Coaches are employees - they can be fired. They have performance bonuses built into their contracts. They are on the hook to hire other staff. They generally plan to stay at said school for more than a year before transferring.

A player is not an employee. They are not "hired" nor paid by performance. If the goal is to make them paid employees, then set their pay based on how they perform. If they don't play - no pay. If they transfer, they lose the money. If they are fired, they lose the money, scholarships, everything. A player can choose to leave as they are not bounded by a contract they would have to repay if they left.

NIL is NOT supposed to be connected to ANY school. It is supposed to be the player making money on their NIL on their own. That is not what is happening.
NIL can be connected to any school the player and collective agree on. The NCAA cannot interfere in that in any way. So says the judge who issued the injunction in the federal court in Greenville..

Do either of them have any force of law, apart from upholding the lower court's decision? I am thinking no....they both uphold the lower court's decision...they didn't add or subtract anything, correct?
The current lawsuits, I've heard, cite the Alston decision as a case supporting that the NCAA is in violation of Antitrust Law.

What SCOTUS does is affirms or overturns lower courts BUT they become precedent law, I think and I'm not an attorney, that is often cited in other cases.

As we saw in the gay marriage case or the case overturning Roe v Wade, the SCOTUS decision can be the decision which ultimately causes huge changes by affirming or overturning cases.

Currently, but the judge who granted, then extended, the order which caused the NCAA to suspend the transfer rules believes the states will win the case.

I'm EXTREMELY doubtful the NCAA ever restarts enforcement.

You still haven't answered WHY you think the TN AG joined this case? TN has no 2nd transfer players I'm aware of who we started playing in bball after the NCAA suspended the rule (which is why WV sued, so they could play a couple of guys on their second transfer.)

It blows away your notion that UT does not want the transfer rule to go away. WHY would the AG of TN join if UT wants the rule retained?
To answer I believe UT knew the issue with Nico was coming and struck a deal with WV behind the scenes to go at the NCAA together. How that happened who knows but it’s awful coincidental considering what happened afterwards. You know as well as I do that when people at that level are involved, it’s about protecting money of some sort.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
To answer I believe UT knew the issue with Nico was coming and struck a deal with WV behind the scenes to go at the NCAA together. How that happened who knows but it’s awful coincidental considering what happened afterwards. You know as well as I do that when people at that level are involved, it’s about protecting money of some sort.
I think we agree more than disagree.

UT cares more about the money than about preserving the transfer rules or NIL.

The school is about protecting the business, not college athletics.

This is the sad truth.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
College football is as popular as ever. The bands are still going to play, the tailgates and masses will be large and grand. Players still love the college lifestyle the only thing changing is players can now make money on their NIL. Teams with good well run programs will retain more than they lose. If anything more mid to late round players will opt to stay their senior year if he has a good NIL where he can improve his draft status and while finishing their degree. Despite what many say there are many players that take their college degree seriously, even most sec and big 10 players aren’t going to be professional players. You have many others that might play 3-5 years and there careers are over. College football is going to continue to be the most popular sport in the country. GBO

The simple fact is that the NIL opportunities vary based upon the school. The NIL opportunities at USC are not the same as at Colorado State and that is just a fact. The school brand, the geographic location's population and nationwide exposure all play into this equation.

And if you don't think student athletes can be fired for non performance... they are on one year schollies and get told to get lost all the time.

So you want an organization to control NIL that also tried to fry us for doing what every school is doing right now in recruiting? Think about what you are saying before you post…

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
So you want an organization to control NIL that also tried to fry us for doing what every school is doing right now in recruiting? Think about what you are saying before you post…
NIL needs to be what it was intended to be - but that is not what it is now. NIL should be something that a player, regardless of what school they choose to attend obtains on their own based on what they have to offer and ultimately, they should create their own brand or style. That positions them to be successful with the NIL as any endorsements they make goes with them as a springboard when they are done with their college career. If you look at former players that are successful post football, you will see that they were able to create their own brand and style that makes their image transcend football.

Anything short of that serves no valuable long term purpose for the player or the school.

NIL needs to be what it was intended to be - but that is not what it is now. NIL should be something that a player, regardless of what school they choose to attend obtains on their own based on what they have to offer and ultimately, they should create their own brand or style. That positions them to be successful with the NIL as any endorsements they make goes with them as a springboard when they are done with their college career. If you look at former players that are successful post football, you will see that they were able to create their own brand and style that makes their image transcend football.

Anything short of that serves no valuable long term purpose for the player or the school.
And boosters should never have paid players previously, but they did.

Why did they? Because those players had value beyond the limits the NCAA had via the really valuable scholarship and perks. Now, don't do your patented rant that I act like the scholarship is worthless....... scholarships are valuable, players are more valuable. Read it again.

NIL payments exist as essentially pay for play because the schools can't pay the players directly, but the schools recognize the competition and market for elite players works like it should in America.

If you have elite skills, and these athletes do, those elite skills are valuable and people will offer you money for the use of those skills. If some organization like the NCAA wants to illegally control that market, they'll get sued into oblivion or get some kind of Antitrust Exemption to allow them to restrict the free market.

Yay America!

We could be in China where those deemed to be athletically gifted are essentially property of the state, told where to go and what to practice, told the competitions they'll be in, told where they'll live, etc.

Stop hating the free market because it screws with our entertainment. Get some perspective on the issues here.

That "intent" violated at least two federal laws, as well as every principle of business and common sense. That's why the NCAA has a federal injunction keeping them out of regulating it.

VN Store

Back