Neyland renovations restarting

I’m glad the six pack contingent has weighed in on my post. We will have a new stadium in a new location within 15 years. Take your life savings to the cage at the Flamingo and bet it all.
For that to be true we’d have to accept the premise that we’re in the middle of 200-300 million dollars worth of renovations that we plan to use for only a decade or so. Unless it’s getting hit by a meteor or the whole thing disappears down into a cave, it’s not happening.

For that to be true we’d have to accept the premise that we’re in the middle of 200-300 million dollars worth of renovations that we plan to use for only a decade or so. Unless it’s getting hit by a meteor or the whole thing disappears down into a cave, it’s not happening.
Both could happen, especially the falling into a cave thing.🤷‍♂️

I think that was the old plan, this is the plan that was released in June:
62b615b37e708.image.jpg
I don't see the dome in this image... when is that coming?

I’m one. Reminiscing but definitely not crying. LONG overdue. If I recall correctly, a plan for renovating the south end was first announced back in the 1990’s. I’ve been patiently waiting. I’ve held season tickets there since 1976.

The view from the river is kinda bad. The metal beams with rust on them is a bad look, which is made worse since that's otherwise the best shot of the stadium (and one frequently shown on TV). I can't wait until they have those concourses widened/modernized and that facade bricked up and attractive like Gate 21.

Also, from a sheer utilitarian standpoint, it's awful. My seats are in W, but I sat in J for the Florida game because we wanted to sit together with friends....getting around over there is awful. It's body to body and you can't move.

Reactions: orange_glory
The view from the river is kinda bad. The metal beams with rust on them is a bad look, which is made worse since that's otherwise the best shot of the stadium (and one frequently shown on TV). I can't wait until they have those concourses widened/modernized and that facade bricked up and attractive like Gate 21.

Also, from a sheer utilitarian standpoint, it's awful. My seats are in W, but I sat in J for the Florida game because we wanted to sit together with friends....getting around over there is awful. It's body to body and you can't move.
I would bet good money that they're going to have to pay someone to take all the lead paint off those support beams before they enclose them.

That ramp is awful and takes up way too much room.
The ramp does take a lot of space, but it's benefits far outweigh the space it uses.
It is an avenue for people in the upper deck to get in and out without ever going through the lower deck areas.
It also provides a way for vendors, contractors, and materials to get the upper concourses most efficiently.
I recall seeing pictures of last year's renovations with trucks and such on that ramp delivering materials.

Question, have you guys ever heard about the supposed massive limestone cavern under the stadium?
Yes, my brother is a core sample drill rig foreman and has worked UT campus for years. Years ago when they were drilling for TBA, he said they hit a cave. They brought in hundreds of concrete trucks to fill the void they hit. Bro said it was probably just running right into the river out of some underwater hole.

Reactions: orange_glory
The ramp does take a lot of space, but it's benefits far outweigh the space it uses.
It is an avenue for people in the upper deck to get in and out without ever going through the lower deck areas.
It also provides a way for vendors, contractors, and materials to get the upper concourses most efficiently.
I recall seeing pictures of last year's renovations with trucks and such on that ramp delivering materials.
The other rendering had the ramp tucked up against the stadium, with 3-4 levels, and some banners hanging from it. I liked that design better.

Reactions: onevol74
I’m glad the six pack contingent has weighed in on my post. We will have a new stadium in a new location within 15 years. Take your life savings to the cage at the Flamingo and bet it all.
I am old and a traditionalist, but I thought the university made a huge mistake by not buying land in the south side of the river when it was dirt cheap and moving the athletic complexes over there with nice pedestrian bridges and improved roads. We could have built state of the art venues that could have been the best in the country.

Reactions: EricStratton

VN Store

Back