Next year's roster

Tennessteve

I'm sure this has been covered, but I really have searched quite a bit and have not found what I'm looking for.

Next year, who can we expect to see on the roster? I know I can just look at the current roster and remove the seniors, then look at recruits and add them, but are we anticipating and transfers or anything?

I'm trying to get an accurate picture of what next year's roster is going to look like.

Obviously it's hard to speculate about transfers, but like you said, we bring in Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson (both five stars) and Corey Walker (four star) [*and Bailey as someone reminded me]. Bowden and Turner were the only seniors on this year's roster.

Last edited:
Obviously it's hard to speculate about transfers, but like you said, we bring in Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson (both five stars) and Corey Walker (four star). Bowden and Turner were the only seniors on this year's roster.
To add onto this, the senior walk on, who recently got a scholarship, Jacob Fleschman, is leaving as well. So that means three out and three in so just looking at departing senior and incoming freshman potentially gives you next year’s roster. However somebody like Jalen Johnson could transfer, though he’s been getting more minutes as the year goes on. Some have speculated Drew Pember could pay his own way to make room for another signee (Dylan Cardwell perhaps) or transfer (TBD), but that seems like wishful thinking. Finally two football signees, Malachi Wideman and Dee Beckwith, insist they’re playing basketball as well, which don’t count towards the basketball scholarships. Wideman in particular was actually a four star basketball recruit in addition to football.
Also Victor Bailey is already on the roster and counting against the scholarship limit but will be eligible to play next year

Last edited:
To add onto this, the senior walk on, Jacob Fleschman, is leaving as well. So that means three out and three in so just looking at departing senior and incoming freshman potentially gives you next year’s roster. However somebody like Jalen Johnson could transfer, though he’s been getting more minutes as the year goes on. Some have speculated Drew Pember could pay his own way to make room for another signee (Dylan Cardwell perhaps) or transfer (TBD), but that seems like wishful thinking. Finally two football signees, Malachi Wideman and Dee Beckwith, insist they’re playing basketball as well, which don’t count towards the basketball scholarships. Wideman in particular was actually a four star basketball recruit in addition to football.
Good post, I hadn't though much about Beckwith and Wideman. Although with football players, I usually take the 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach. lol.

Good post, I hadn't though much about Beckwith and Wideman. Although with football players, I usually take the 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach. lol.
Yeah the “insist they’re playing basketball” wording was intentional, I doubt they’ll ever really be contributors for basketball. As some on here have already mentioned, hard to justify doing two sports if you’re not staring in both, and next year’s rotation is going to be difficult to crack

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yeah the “insist they’re playing basketball” wording was intentional, I doubt they’ll ever really be contributors for basketball. As some on here have already mentioned, hard to justify doing two sports if you’re not staring in both, and next year’s rotation is going to be difficult to crack
This was a pretty funny comment by Barnes about "we've become pretty good at adding guys in the middle of the year." lol.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I really have searched quite a bit and have not found what I'm looking for.

Next year, who can we expect to see on the roster? I know I can just look at the current roster and remove the seniors, then look at recruits and add them, but are we anticipating and transfers or anything?

I'm trying to get an accurate picture of what next year's roster is going to look like.

We add the 3 freshmen already mentioned plus Bailey who shot almost 40% from 3.
Just a guess but these guys will average at least 20 minutes each. A couple will play more than that
So we lose Bowden who avgs 35 minutes.
Someone is losing minutes.
And the good news is all 4 can score.
And as for defense they are already touted as defenders so ahead of the game there.
A team which is much deeper at 1-3 is the upside.
By Jan 2 of these guys will likely start.

Springer seems to be a great finisher at the rim and is very athletic.

His shot might need some work but that should be an easy fix.

Most likely one & done if his game translates well to the college level.

Fleschman is a RS junior. I've not seen anything to indicate that he won't return for his senior year.

We currently have 13 scholarship players on next year's roster.

K Johnson FR
J Springer FR
C Walker FR

Plavsic SO
Vescovi SO
JJJ SO
Pember SO
Gaines SO
O(R)N SO

Bailey JR

J Johnson SR
Pons SR
Fulk SR

My question is, is there a maximum number that can be on the roster? Walk-ons and scholarships combined? There are 4 walk-ons. Jancek, Fleschman, and 2 from the football team. That's 17 total.

I expect Pember and/or Gaines to redshirt.

Who knows what Jalen will decide to do? He graduated so he can transfer and be immediately eligible somewhere else if he wants to do that. He has already used his redshirt.

This is such a deep roster that they will push each other and get better in practice and then that will translate into the games itself.

The next 3 or 4 years could be a special era in the history of Tennessee basketball.

Reactions: feathersax
This is such a deep roster that they will push each other and get better in practice and then that will translate into the games itself.

The next 3 or 4 years could be a special era in the history of Tennessee basketball.

It will certainly help to add a similarly rated large bodied post player. Banchero could be an all time legend if he spent a couple of years in Knoxville. I'm not giving up on Uros or O(R)N yet. I don't expect Pember to add a lot of weight. I think he'll be a guard over most of his career.

We’ll definitely have a lot of talent and potential. I hope they all get enough minutes because it seems Barnes doesn’t allow as many bench minutes as other coaches. Should be a team that improves quite a bit between NOV and JAN, too.

Reactions: sport3500
We should temper our enthusiasm for next years team, not one of the recruits is a true point guard and they will be freshmen. JJJ has shown how a freshmen 5 star can play and be a turnover machine. We will experience some growing pains with the team. A true PG makes all the difference, will be curious to see how Vescovi develops and who will be backup PG....

Reactions: jackaro
Still very concerned about the post. I love Fulk, but not building for future depth.
Will be super deep at guard and I can see Barnes running a lot of four guard stuff.
Walker is a post...ORN and Pember are freshman, Plavsic a sophomore...I understand you are gonna say all 3 suck but if you track guys who have stayed here under Barnes they usually turn out decent, guessing those guys develop.

We should temper our enthusiasm for next years team, not one of the recruits is a true point guard and they will be freshmen. JJJ has shown how a freshmen 5 star can play and be a turnover machine. We will experience some growing pains with the team. A true PG makes all the difference, will be curious to see how Vescovi develops and who will be backup PG....
Springer will be the point guard. He is not typical pg, but we will want the ball in his hands.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Springer can play point a lil bit . He’s got good experience with handling the PG spot . He was the main ball handler for Bmaze and IMG
Yeah, he’s played enough PG, now, that I think he can safely be considered a PG, which is probably his NBA position. He is definitely a scoring guard, but he is a very good passer, as well, and he has a good deal of experience playing the position l, now.

He reminds me a lot of Derrick Rose at Memphis. The size, driving ability, athleticism...all similar, plus, Springer is already a much better defender.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back