New Texas coach

Wow!

I have no idea whether Vic Schaeffer is a cheater in either recruiting or rules relating to allowable practice time (as so many coaches are), but that kind of money surely puts a ton of pressure on him to produce championship-level results — and soon. Even if he’s been clean up to now — I’m cynically doubtful, to be honest — the pressure may prove too much to fight temptation to take advantage of the offers to help he’ll receive from some deep-pocketed Horns fans. :oops:

I'm curious why you think Vic is a cheater? I've seen nothing from him to indicate that he runs anything but a clean program that he built from the ground up through a lot of hard work and engagement with the community. I'm sure Kellie has a lot of pressure on her too, but I doubt that she would compromise her integrity. I think most of the top coaches are the same way.

Makes sense. Questions about Madison Hayes. She did visit Tennessee, but what were her other schools? If MS let her out of her signed commit, would she follow Vic to Texas?
I believe her finalists were Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, and Tennessee. The only other official visit she took was to NC State before committing to Mississippi State on her visit.

If they promote Johnnie Harris to HC, she may have interest in staying put, if not, I think she would probably switch.

Regardless, she should have no issues getting out of her LOI.

I think Texas has two open scholarships assuming everyone returns, so if multiple players were interested in following him, it would be interesting to see who he chooses.

Aside from Charli Collier and Celeste Taylor, he doesn’t particularly inherit much. I would be shocked if he doesn’t add at least two top transfers or players.

Reactions: krichunaka
Vic is one heck of a coach. I like Harper but if he was available last year and we did not pursue then someone should get fired. Did Fulmer handle that search?

Reactions: mcannon1
iu

I agree. The landscape has changed in so many ways. The power 5's have decided to invest in WBB and now most seem to be more invested than Tennessee. That can be problematic down the road unless that changes. Fulmer held on to Holly too long and then didn't get a big name coach when he finally made the move to replace her. I think Kellie will be an excellent coach in the long run but it did speak volumes about his WBB mentality moving forward.
Yes correct the landscape has changed dramatically. However; the lady Vols still have a distinction in the basketball world because of Pat. That means AD and coaches need to make sure the women’s basketball culture is relatable and promising the best way too do that is to start with the players . They need to do a player lock-in to understand each other better , film sessions that are partnered with players as well as coaches . Alumni who played the position to come in and work out players or position or positions they play and played . Watch old game film of lady Vols team to show the difference in intensity and in game adjustments. Two a days practices if your talked to about something more than the once you hit the stairs , lock defensive drills just an entire practice of boxing out , free throws, how to get the ball properly into the post , post position etc ball handling drills.. This where you build your culture but more importantly accountability .

Yes correct the landscape has changed dramatically. However; the lady Vols still have a distinction in the basketball world because of Pat. That means AD and coaches need to make sure the women’s basketball culture is relatable and promising the best way too do that is to start with the players . They need to do a player lock-in to understand each other better , film sessions that are partnered with players as well as coaches . Alumni who played the position to come in and work out players or position or positions they play and played . Watch old game film of lady Vols team to show the difference in intensity and in game adjustments. Two a days practices if your talked to about something more than the once you hit the stairs , lock defensive drills just an entire practice of boxing out , free throws, how to get the ball properly into the post , post position etc ball handling drills.. This where you build your culture but more importantly accountability .

You're talking my language
And in-game coaching too:
get in the media room and look within your own self and staff
use of time outs
purposeful subbing
accountability for empty headed mistakes
focus on improvement in offense and in developing better flow

It is more than just player.
speaking as a coach, I know and admit, it is up to us coaches to grow as well
This is where CHW failed
Same mistakes year after year
I never held mistakes against her,
only the repetition of them did I hold against her

Reactions: GameTime
Mississippi State officials offered to match or exceed salary offered to Vic Schaefer by Texas. Told Schaefer saw the opportunity at Austin as a chance to go home and be close to his parents and family.

Reactions: Dube
You're talking my language
And in-game coaching too:
get in the media room and look within your own self and staff
use of time outs
purposeful subbing
accountability for empty headed mistakes
focus on improvement in offense and in developing better flow

It is more than just player.
speaking as a coach, I know and admit, it is up to us coaches to grow as well
This is where CHW failed
Same mistakes year after year
I never held mistakes against her,
only the repetition of them did I hold against her
Indeed I actually liked Holly just not as head coach because she couldn’t relate to the players. She would be a phenomenal Head recruiter for the Vols it was obvious that should’ve been her position from the beginning. I must say KJH made questionable substitutions that baffled me game in and game out. She must address that this off-season no questions asked. If Saunders couldn’t adjust to the speed of the game this previous season and that’s why her minutes were nonexistent than this the time to get it done as a coach. Look a miss st the post development is insane . Key should be able to come in next season looking like what jessika carter looked like offensively. Her post confidence and strength should be insane her being left off all SEC freshman and defensive time should put a fire under her.

Great post Brie...By the way, welcome to the board..

Coach Al Brown was going over the mistakes the players were making by video presentations....Not sure if the player was present for these skull sessions, or was it relayed through another coach....But coach Brown said (on radio) that if a player sees their mistakes, they are less apt to make the same mistake again.....

For a few games the girls looked fabulous, the mistakes lessened and the scoring increased.....Then the bottom sort of fell out again....The mistakes started piling up again, and the same turnover prone players got a little worse than before, or at least as bad as before.....

Indeed I actually liked Holly just not as head coach because she couldn’t relate to the players. She would be a phenomenal Head recruiter for the Vols it was obvious that should’ve been her position from the beginning. I must say KJH made questionable substitutions that baffled me game in and game out. She must address that this off-season no questions asked. If Saunders couldn’t adjust to the speed of the game this previous season and that’s why her minutes were nonexistent than this the time to get it done as a coach. Look a miss st the post development is insane . Key should be able to come in next season looking like what jessika carter looked like offensively. Her post confidence and strength should be insane her being left off all SEC freshman and defensive time should put a fire under her.

agree with everything said

I look for vast improvement in TK

Emily is the wild card. With her, as with Mercedes Russell it is a question of two things:

What she will do to improve herself physically, via her own workouts and those PT's who train her... When I see the more fluid movement of Russell in the pros compared to how she moved in college, there is a vast difference in her influences and fluidity.

Finding her role...She is not a Center, in my estimation, she is a power forward. SHe is physically and visually more threatening than TK, but I don't see it transpire into her on-court play. I think working her out right beside KK would be the way to go. Give me Em's look with KK's work ethic and pepper in Jaiden's game-face and you have the ultimate paint warrior

Great post Brie...By the way, welcome to the board..

Coach Al Brown was going over the mistakes the players were making by video presentations....Not sure if the player was present for these skull sessions, or was it relayed through another coach....But coach Brown said (on radio) that if a player sees their mistakes, they are less apt to make the same mistake again.....

For a few games the girls looked fabulous, the mistakes lessened and the scoring increased.....Then the bottom sort of fell out again....The mistakes started piling up again, and the same turnover prone players got a little worse than before, or at least as bad as before.....
Thank you, I know first hand that if you see the mistakes you made during games . And actually watch break down film and target that area in practice it will translate in game. But that’s also comes along with the player or players to want to be better want to become unstoppable. It’s a mentality that isn’t teachable you have to do it yourself as player. I could’ve never let Rhyne Howard have the privilege to saying she burnt me twice hell no. These turnovers was mental mistakes and players over penetrating and those dang jump passes getting stuck in the air. And not knowing your team personal .

Now that's funny...I am sure they will take your feelings into consideration if they have to make anymore hires in the athletic department...NOT !!!!!!
I’m sure they’ll take this one from u too. Sit down stop getting hurt over an opinion

Coach Brown is extremely positive on Key and feels she is the difference maker, that is if she would get more serious about her position....On a radio interview he said he did not think she was going to continue her high school basketball talents in college...She did not seem that interested in basketball....She sure did get tired quickly, and was not as strong in the post as one with her size should be....Being positive, I sure hope she comes back a beast of a player and wants it all this time....

Reactions: brieeallen

VN Store

Back