New Texas coach

I don’t think you can compare Vic leaving to the greats that were mentioned in this thread like Wooden, Knight and of course Summitt. Those are legends and HOFers and impossible to replace.

Vic is a very good coach, but two NCAA runner up years doesn’t mean he can’t be repacked at MSU with a coach that can be as successful.
I agree about Vic but a no name coach will struggle at state as has all the others except Vic. JMHO!

Vic was a no name coach when he got there.

He struggled a few years. You just never know When you will get a McGowan.
Victoria Vivians was the one who got the ball rolling for MSST. She was the first, and even then she wasnt a mcd AA.

And to be honest, Vic didn't "get" a McCowan. He developed her. She was far from a can't-miss prospect, and she was passed over by a lot of schools such as Baylor. Vic took a player that all the top teams passed on and made her into a star.

Victoria Vivians was the one who got the ball rolling for MSST. She was the first, and even then she wasnt a mcd AA.

And to be honest, Vic didn't "get" a McCowan. He developed her. She was far from a can't-miss prospect, and she was passed over by a lot of schools such as Baylor. Vic took a player that all the top teams passed on and made her into a star.
****, I forgot about Vivians. Duh....

Please don’t get me wrong here. I think Vic is a great coach. But you can’t compare him to the HOF coaches that retire that can’t be replaced. That was my point.

****, I forgot about Vivians. Duh....

Please don’t get me wrong here. I think Vic is a great coach. But you can’t compare him to the HOF coaches that retire that can’t be replaced. That was my point.

I agree, and that's largely Vic's fault because he didn't give himself the time to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He took a program that was a conference cellar dweller and built them into a perennial top 10 program, and that's all without signing any HS AAs until Rickea last year. He got MSST into the national recruitment picture based on what he did with lesser players. As an Xs and Os strategist, a motivator and a recruiter...I think he's as good as anyone in the game. But he can't be compared to the Summitts, Conradts, Hatchells etc...because he didn't give himself enough time at MSST to get the top prize. If he stayed, I think he would have kept them as a NC contender for years to come and would have snagged a NC or two. I wish Tennessee had gotten him instead of MSST. He would have done wonders with the talent that Warlick squandered for years.

I agree, and that's largely Vic's fault because he didn't give himself the time to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He took a program that was a conference cellar dweller and built them into a perennial top 10 program, and that's all without signing any HS AAs until Rickea last year. He got MSST into the national recruitment picture based on what he did with lesser players. As an Xs and Os strategist, a motivator and a recruiter...I think he's as good as anyone in the game. But he can't be compared to the Summitts, Conradts, Hatchells etc...because he didn't give himself enough time at MSST to get the top prize. If he stayed, I think he would have kept them as a NC contender for years to come and would have snagged a NC or two. I wish Tennessee had gotten him instead of MSST. He would have done wonders with the talent that Warlick squandered for years.

You can't blame the man for this move. He went to a school that will fully finance him in the sport he excels in and Texas will be a much easier sell in recruiting than Miss St ever was.
I am an SEC guy, but, I have to admit,,,If I couldn't fulfill my ambition at Ut and my pother two options were MS and the other UT,,,there'd be little consideration before my decision

You can't blame the man for this move. He went to a school that will fully finance him in the sport he excels in and Texas will be a much easier sell in recruiting than Miss St ever was.
I am an SEC guy, but, I have to admit,,,If I couldn't fulfill my ambition at Ut and my pother two options were MS and the other UT,,,there'd be little consideration before my decision
I don't blame him at all. He did what made him happy, and it appears that meant moving home...even if that meant giving up a really good shot at a NC in the next year or two. He knew what the tradeoffs were, and was ok with that. I applaud people that aren't a slave to their work.

I don't blame him at all. He did what made him happy, and it appears that meant moving home...even if that meant giving up a really good shot at a NC in the next year or two. He knew what the tradeoffs were, and was ok with that. I applaud people that aren't a slave to their work.
agree and I applaud ambition, no matter what the level already attained
Being a coach, I know the more competitive of us continue to wonder,,,,can I do it again?

I would be very surprised if they aren't looking for someone on Vic's level. It's a very different program now than when Vic took over. I wonder what his salary difference from year 1 to year 8 was?
MS is elite top ten , I don't think they will hunger much
for another good coach.

Coach Brown is extremely positive on Key and feels she is the difference maker, that is if she would get more serious about her position....On a radio interview he said he did not think she was going to continue her high school basketball talents in college...She did not seem that interested in basketball....She sure did get tired quickly, and was not as strong in the post as one with her size should be....Being positive, I sure hope she comes back a beast of a player and wants it all this time....
Your post just made me a wee bit sad.

He’s also a Texan. No place like Texas for a Texan. They can’t stand to be away for too long.

Reactions: Voltopia
He’s also a Texan. No place like Texas for a Texan. They can’t stand to be away for too long.

I lived in San Antonio for two years...true enough, they are as in love with "being a texan" as we are with being Lady Vol fans

I agree, and that's largely Vic's fault because he didn't give himself the time to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

I would not be surprised if Texas gave him several hundred thousand reasons to move on. I think he was pulling 1.5 million at Mississippi State, and while money is not entirely irrelevant to Texas, they are uniquely well funded and uniquely stubborn about getting what they want. Having lived in Austin for a decade, it's a prideful mentality much like the SEC is a prideful mentality in the South. I agree that it's a shame he couldn't enjoy a few more years on the successful side of a program, but for most coaches a job is a job, and if one's willing to offer an extra 300,000 to 500,000 dollars ... that's life changing. Not that 1.5 million isn't life changing already, but an extra quarter million or whatever they must have offered him, well, every dollar counts. And morever, with the lack of state income tax in Texas, Vic can count more of those dollars on his way to the bank.

Never knew he was from Texas, but considering he's a Texas boy, a few years at his new salary and he can buy a ranch in the hill country, which is practically the Texas dream. If he doesn't already have one, I guess.

Reactions: wcbbfantalk
I would not be surprised if Texas gave him several hundred thousand reasons to move on. I think he was pulling 1.5 million at Mississippi State, and while money is not entirely irrelevant to Texas, they are uniquely well funded and uniquely stubborn about getting what they want. Having lived in Austin for a decade, it's a prideful mentality much like the SEC is a prideful mentality in the South. I agree that it's a shame he couldn't enjoy a few more years on the successful side of a program, but for most coaches a job is a job, and if one's willing to offer an extra 300,000 to 500,000 dollars ... that's life changing. Not that 1.5 million isn't life changing already, but an extra quarter million or whatever they must have offered him, well, every dollar counts. And morever, with the lack of state income tax in Texas, Vic can count more of those dollars on his way to the bank.

Never knew he was from Texas, but considering he's a Texas boy, a few years at his new salary and he can buy a ranch in the hill country, which is practically the Texas dream. If he doesn't already have one, I guess.
MSST supposedly matched Texas' offer, so it was about more than just the money.

VN Store

Back