New Name: PJ Fleck Being Vetted

Maybe I'm more conservative but I'd stay with Steele because of the SEC experience. Gonna take a helluva name to convince me that an up and comer with no SEC experience is going to build this team into a contender in 2-3 years. I'm not even going to mention any names because it's useless but I do hope our new AD's track record for hiring quality coaches continues while he's at UT.
As far as head coaching goes Derek Dooley was far better than Kevin Steele which is a big indictment of Kevin Steele and the reason he should never be UT head football coach.

If you're looking for this train wreck to get turned around in 2 or 3 years you better hope Urban backs out of his Jaguars deal. We are in a much worse spot than we've ever been in the history of the program.

Oh woe is me, woe is me. the world is ending.

To be fair, Mullen had a losing SEC record at Miss St and it seems to have worked out welllfor Florida. PJ fleck is a big younger too so he has more to learn but a lot more upside. And IMO the big ten is the second best conference behind the SEC
Many coaches can win with the right talent. We have not had the talent to win in the last 15 years. We most hire a coach who can recruit against the top programs in the SEC to win. For some coaches, developing the talent is required. We have not done that in the past 15 years. So, pick the guy who can recruit and coach. That is the Job of our AD. Her in in his first week on the job. He seems to be be approaching this hire in a sane and efficient way. Let's let HIM do the job and I am sure he does not need/want all the advice we on this board can/will provide. Lets rest for another 4-5 days and see what develops.

My thoughts for his family. But honestly how many people know this? Row the boat, duck pulls truck, anchor down, brick by brick. All cheesy cliches.[/Q

You're truly a cynical person aren't you? Very silly reason to reject a coach. All coaches that I've been associated with have their so called "cheesy cliches", This is more important to you than his coaching accomplishments? Silly as Hail

Honestly none of these are terrible hires. They are just risky and not the best. Fleck would be the most proven with what he did at Minnesota against a strong Big 10 in 2019. Still, I like Wisconsin’s Chryst or Iowa’s Ferentz (with Chris Doyle). Tom Allen would be solid but not sure we want to pay that buyout. If it was an Urban Meyer type hire, sure. Regardless, all of these names are solid considerations. The thing is, we are trying to find someone that can do more with more. Fleck does demonstrate that ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cormock Mac
I don’t think he’d do well in the SEC but it doesn’t really matter what I think.
Why wouldn't he do well? Sound reasoning or your opinion?
I think he’s struggle at recruiting the type of athletes we need to win in the SEC, we’ve already tried one coach with a history of coaching in Michigan and that turned out well🙄

I don’t think he’d do well in the SEC but it doesn’t really matter what I think.
Maybe I'm wrong, but this guy reminds me too much of our previous "brick layer". Slogans and gimmicks but no substance. He is my least favorite of the names being mentioned but like you said, it doesn't matter what we think!

I’m not meaning to attack you personally, when I say ignorant I don’t mean you’re stupid. I mean it more as blinded as a fan. I wish we had as much to sell as Texas... if that makes it more clear as to my intent even though it probably didn’t come across as such.
My point was if Tennessee really wants to get back to where we once were then you go after the best available coach out there, it shouldnt matter who else is in the hunt, thats his decision to make where he goes but you throw out a exceptional offer and make him say no, that shows your serious. As for Texas being a better job maybe they have more money, better recruiting areas, better conference, who knows but the in the last 21 years the Big 12 has won 2 National Championships while the SEC has 12. So if your interested in winning championships I think you come to the SEC. When I said Texas was gum on the bottom of our shoe I meant in the overall scope of college football historically, I just feel that we are a much more vaunted program which carries some weight, maybe I am looking thru my glasses on that but thats just how i feel.

VN Store

Back