New Coaching Search???

why would jeff walz leave Louisville to join Tennessee?

Louisville a good program.... we have fallen last decade.... is he supposed to be attracted by the history?

Holly is making 700K he is doing considerably better than that.... will we pay what he is making now...

remember when Urban Meyer was at Utah and the hot recruit.... Notre Dame was wooing him.... but he went to Florida....

it is not a realistic option for Jeff W to come to LVs.....

Its a very real option. ;)

What coach has anyone even threw out there thats at Coach Walz level right now. And its not like he has not been at this level for sometime. Check his record. If he can do that at Louisville then what could he do here?

I may not have many posts here, but do not doubt that I am not in the dark.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Its a very real option. ;)

What coach has anyone even threw out there thats at Coach Walz level right now. And its not like he has not been at this level for sometime. Check his record. If he can do that at Louisville then what could he do here?

I may not have many posts here, but do not doubt that I am not in the dark.

I’m going to keep saying it until it finally sinks in. The powers at be around LV basketball will NEVER allow Jeff Walz to coach here. Period. She’s not going anywhere but for your sanity do not let Walz become the new Gruden.

Further you shouldn’t want him here. If by some act of God he landed here the blue hairs would snoop and dig to take him down. Let it go

Haven't posted for a while. Was shocked that the LV's lost three in a row. I met Holly once when she was recruiting Erin Boley. Really enjoyed talking with her for around 15 minutes. She didn't know me from Adam and could have blown me off, but didn't. Hate to see the LV's struggle but . . . as you can tell by my screen name I'm a U of L fan, season ticket holder. Jeff has on many occasions stated that the only way he plans on leaving is to retire or get fired. He just signed an extension. His current salary is $1.2 million with a $500/month car allowance. The contract runs through 2025 with bonuses for GPA, tournament victories, etc. Money would not be the reason for him to leave, which I really don't see him doing. He is passionate about his players, the school and the fan base, which he constantly thanks for coming to the games. Even going to the point of saying, "We’re blessed to have fans that understand the game," Walz said. "You go some places and there's nobody there, and you come to our ballgames and they're passionate, they get loud. Our fan base is our No. 1 reason."

Coach Walz has elevated the program to one of the elite programs in the nation, which includes UT. The question was asked "If he can do that at Louisville then what could he do here?" The answer is the same thing that he's doing a U of L. He's a Kentucky native, played at NKU, was an assistant coach at WKU and has made U of L a national power. I know you can never say never but I think the chances of him leaving U of L for UT are .00000001%, not because UT is not a great program and a great job (because it is), but because he is happy, professionally fulfilled and enjoys what he is accomplishing at U of L too much to give that up.

Haven't posted for a while. Was shocked that the LV's lost three in a row. I met Holly once when she was recruiting Erin Boley. Really enjoyed talking with her for around 15 minutes. She didn't know me from Adam and could have blown me off, but didn't. Hate to see the LV's struggle but . . . as you can tell by my screen name I'm a U of L fan, season ticket holder. Jeff has on many occasions stated that the only way he plans on leaving is to retire or get fired. He just signed an extension. His current salary is $1.2 million with a $500/month car allowance. The contract runs through 2025 with bonuses for GPA, tournament victories, etc. Money would not be the reason for him to leave, which I really don't see him doing. He is passionate about his players, the school and the fan base, which he constantly thanks for coming to the games. Even going to the point of saying, "We’re blessed to have fans that understand the game," Walz said. "You go some places and there's nobody there, and you come to our ballgames and they're passionate, they get loud. Our fan base is our No. 1 reason."

Coach Walz has elevated the program to one of the elite programs in the nation, which includes UT. The question was asked "If he can do that at Louisville then what could he do here?" The answer is the same thing that he's doing a U of L. He's a Kentucky native, played at NKU, was an assistant coach at WKU and has made U of L a national power. I know you can never say never but I think the chances of him leaving U of L for UT are .00000001%, not because UT is not a great program and a great job (because it is), but because he is happy, professionally fulfilled and enjoys what he is accomplishing at U of L too much to give that up.

Don't need him....Just need CHW to think outside of her own box...actually, listen to suggestions.

We still have a beast of a team,

and staff.
Use them!
Trust in them.

You've got a team of brilliant ballers.
Kids that impressed you enough to recruit them to this valued program.
Let me put it this way,,,
Pick-up games are great for building individual offensive skills.
The team is still playing pick-up.
They are not playing team ball.
It is up to the staff to redirect this, not the players.

Last edited:
images

Why not Walz again? Leaving a storied Louisville program that just hit the national limelight about 10 years ago for Tennessee a team that created the national limelight for WCBB 35 + years ago? Its not like he has another Asia Durr coming in next year...I dont see what's so unbelievable.

Reactions: alaVOL and OldNSlow
Why not Walz again? Leaving a storied Louisville program that just hit the national limelight about 10 years ago for Tennessee a team that created the national limelight for WCBB 35 + years ago? Its not like he has another Asia Durr coming in next year...I dont see what's so unbelievable.

His cupboard is far from bare. He's got a lot of top 20 recruits, and Louisville won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They'll still be better than Tennessee for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Look its not like we are going to have to go out and hire a high school coach. We can hire Walz. The Blue Hairs and boosters will be very happy when we are back winning. Trust me. In what we are talking about, winning cures all.

I am about winning and hiring the right person that can get it done.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
I know most, if not all of you are not happy with Holly but if you're putting all your eggs in the basket that you can hire Jeff Walz away from U of L I think a great number of you are going to be sorely disappointed. Like I said yesterday anything can happen but the thought that you can dangle the UT job in front of him and he will leave, just because it's UT, is not realistic. If it were to happen I would come back and tell you that you just hired one of the best coaches in the game and congratulate you . . . just don't hold your breath waiting for me to do that.

xtpsrh08123 said, "Why not Walz again? Leaving a storied Louisville program that just hit the national limelight about 10 years ago for Tennessee a team that created the national limelight for WCBB 35 + years ago? Its not like he has another Asia Durr coming in next year...I don't see what's so unbelievable.

No he doesn't have another Asia Durr coming in, but then there's only one Asia Durr.

What he does have coming in are:

2019: Nyah Green, 5 star #19, Ramani Parker, 4 star #99, Narika Konno, 3 star (from Japan, who played on their U18 & U23 FIBA teams in 2018).

Who are already here:

2018: Mykassa Robinson. 5 star #29, Seygan Robbins, 5 star #38, Molly Lockhart, 3 star (red shirting), Yacine Diop, (#54 coming out of HS, Grad Transfer, torn ACL, may get an additional year via medical red shirt)

2017: Dana Evans, 5 star #9 McDAA, Lindsay Duvall, 5 star #24 (red shirted last year)

2016: Kylee Shook, 5 star #17 McDAA, Jasmine Jones, 5 star #43, Bionca Dunham, 4 star (who has really developed her game), Jessica Laemmle (local girl, walk on, hustles her butt off and is a crowd favorite)

As Amb3096 stated the cupboard is not bare. Yes things will change after Asia leaves but to expect a huge fall off of the program because of that, I don't see happening.

I know UT wants to find a really good coach and we have one. We just don't want to let YOU have him. :)

Look its not like we are going to have to go out and hire a high school coach. We can hire Walz. The Blue Hairs and boosters will be very happy when we are back winning. Trust me. In what we are talking about, winning cures all.

I am about winning and hiring the right person that can get it done.

Not if its with Walz it won't.

This job is a 40 ton political animal--its about so much more than "winning and losing"

The "blue hairs" and boosters are the ones that support the program. That's why they have the influence. And will continue to have it as long as they're the ones who write the checks and put butts in seats.

If all was going well with all these political people controlling the program I guess we would not be having this discussion would we?

Here is a little wisdom. I loved Pat. She was the best. BUT she is not here and there will only ever be one Pat. Tree of Pat is not Pat. Look at all the records. We are living in the past and we are getting beat. Those are the facts. One thing is for sure. Things change. Those who are good with change do very well in life. Those that are not good with change usually fail. You tell me where we are at.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
The "blue hairs" and boosters are the ones that support the program. That's why they have the influence. And will continue to have it as long as they're the ones who write the checks and put butts in seats.

What puts people in the stands?

I agree they aren't going to want Walz. I also think they aren't going to want any non-Tennessee grad or native.

The biggest pipe dream I've seen mentioned that would be acceptable to them is Dawn Staley.

If Holly were to leave voluntarily and Dawn Staley said hey I want it. It would be hers in a hot second.

OldNSlow I don't mean to sound so persistent about Jeff Walz The only point of view I have is that I'm related to one of those "blue hairs". Shes not even close to ready to replace Holly yet.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
The biggest pipe dream I've seen mentioned that would be acceptable to them is Dawn Staley.

If Holly were to leave voluntarily and Dawn Staley said hey I want it. It would be hers in a hot second.

OldNSlow I don't mean to sound so persistent about Jeff Walz The only point of view I have is that I'm related to one of those "blue hairs". Shes not even close to ready to replace Holly yet.
Right. The "blue hairs" run the show and the next generation of "blue hairs" on this site are proving that they feel the same as the person you're related to. She stays. It can certainly be debated, however; I think it's best to hope she and her staff improve at getting these kids to do what they need to do consistently to perform in a manner more in line w/ one would expect based on their roster.

I know you can never say never but I think the chances of him leaving U of L for UT are .00000001%, not because UT is not a great program and a great job (because it is), but because he is happy, professionally fulfilled and enjoys what he is accomplishing at U of L too much to give that up.

Are you trying to convince us or convince yourself?

LOL Jeff Walz indeed is the new Jon Gruden. Am I wrong or were some of his recent teams kind of unnecessarily rough, like someone Sophie Cunningham would enjoy playing for. I remember totally not liking them a few years ago when they beat us in the tourney.

Kara Lawson approaching Gruden territory as well. If we're talking former Lady Vols from the golden era, here's a few that have actually coached.

Kyra Elzy -Wouldn't that be interesting? Not sure what the drama surrounding her departure was, but I loved Elzy when she played for the Meek era LVs! Hard worker, defensive stopper, couldn't play a lick of offense, oh wait, not her!

Semeka Randall - Boo! How much fun would it be to have Boo coach against Sir Geno next year! Remember how much UConn hated her? She coached at Michigan St for awhile, haven't heard of her for years, but loved her antics and energy! She'd be a show on the sideline, very emotional!

Niya Butts - Butts had guts! Wasn't she at LSU with Nikki?

Speaking of Nikki C, surprised there's been so little talk about her. Would she just be Holly all over again? Has she proven to be a fair to middlin coach? I want to want her back more than I actually do.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back