New Coaching Search???

While folks on these forums may not know "everything there is to know about coaching," Pat Summitt's 30 years of coaching did kind of show most of 'em what good team basketball that's nationally competitive looks like. Not to mention what teams who hustle and compete on every possession look like. Oh, and how to get to the Final Four. You know. A lot. Just some of those things UT used to do back in the day. *shrug*

You do or you should realize what I posted above was nothing more than sarcasm shown to be my answer?
The powers that be at UT will determine when a new WBB coach is necessary for one.
All the complaining we do won't make a hill of beans until the empty seats are shown for lack of support.

Last edited:
You do realize what I posted above was nothing more than sarcasm shown to be my answer?
The powers that be at UT will determine when a new WBB coach is necessary for one.
All the complaining we do won't make a hill of beans until the empty seats are shown for lack of support.

"The powers that be at UT will determine when a new WBB coach is necessary for one" - that is the real scary part!
Agree with the other part also. Hate not to support the LVs but when attendance hits below 5K UT might actually take a look.

Last edited:
"The powers that be at UT will determine when a new WBB coash is necessary for one" - that is the real scary part!
Agree with the other part also. Hate not to support the LVs but when attendance hits below 5K UT might actually take a look.

I'm almost scared to death at watching another LV basketball game now.
We had a 17 point lead at Ga & we managed to have a big meltdown and lose it.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I'll nominate teacherdean for now. A well known poster here, since 2014, in the LV threads.
Then after that, I'll nominate all the know-it-all armchair posters (including myself) that post on a regular basis in the LV basketball threads each game because we posters know how it feels to be in a constant hot-seat situation in every game each week. Armchair posters in the LV basketball forum we know everything a lot better for the team than the actual head coach that's been coaching the team for 8 years now. Armchair posters like me know everything there is to know about coaching & being a competitive HC in an SEC college women's basketball game each week & we know when to call TOs at just the right time & we know how to draw up critical plays at just the right time to win close games along with what subs need to come & go at the right time to win games.

Thanks I am honored (JOKE), I never toiled the college sidelines but did toil the high school sidelines. I got used to parents and others knowing more than I did. Especially when you have losing streaks. So, yes I have felt Holly’s pain on a smaller scale. However, no matter what level of coaching, you can’t continue doing the same old things, which have proven to be only partially successful, and expect to have a viable top 10 program.

Hasn't Lawson stated on several occasions that she has no interest in coaching?

No way would Walz leave Louisville, a very successful program that he has built. Besides, his current salary is $1.15 mil plus a possible performance bonus of another $250K. In order to get Walz UT would have to go well beyond that.

The same argument is true for Staley. She is very well paid and coaches a very successful program that she built. When you think USC WCBB Staley's name immediately comes to mind just as Pat Summitt's did when she coached UT.

Dawn just hauled in an exceptional recruiting class that should put SC in the driver's seat for dominance in the SEC and a National Championship contender for the next four years. Why in God's name would she leave that to come to UT?

OK...let's start a conversation about who are the top candidates for replacing HW......fire away!
Before getting to the who, here are some thoughts on the what, as in, What is the job?

1) Recruiting talented team players.
2) Teaching.
3) Game planning and management.

Candidates must be better than average at all three.
To attract the best candidates, the AD should ignore sex, gender, race, etc.
If the candidate has some current or previous tie to UT, that's a nice little extra, but
items one through three are what really matters.

This is all obvious common sense stuff, right?
Odds of it happening? Your guess is probably better than mine.

Oh! How would the AD know if a candidate is exceptionally skilled at 1, 2, and 3?
I suppose they would have a track record with a D 1 school.

Reactions: teacherdean
Before getting to the who, here are some thoughts on the what, as in, What is the job?

1) Recruiting talented team players.
2) Teaching.
3) Game planning and management.

Candidates must be better than average at all three.
To attract the best candidates, the AD should ignore sex, gender, race, etc.
If the candidate has some current or previous tie to UT, that's a nice little extra, but
items one through three are what really matters.

This is all obvious common sense stuff, right?
Odds of it happening? Your guess is probably better than mine.

Oh! How would the AD know if a candidate is exceptionally skilled at 1, 2, and 3?
I suppose they would have a track record with a D 1 school.

The only thing working in favor of HW is that the men's team is having such great success....she's less visible now and maybe she'll hope to fly under the radar as all UT fans are now watching the men's team.

The reason you need to play a tough pre-SEC schedule is because when you get into SEC play you have to get used to physical play. The Refs in the SEC are terrible they allow pushing and shoving yet will call a hand check. I thought this year Rennia would be able to score through contact, but that is not the case she is easily pushed off balance. She receives the ball in the post she looks like she is moving in slow motion. She needs to get active and put up shots inside with power. She is really gonna have to pick up her speed in movement to be successful in the SEC.

Reactions: Rixxx and Momto2
Hell I will coach them for half the cost and get better results
No doubt! Recite after me: guard the 3 point shooters, own the paint, block out, hit the boards, run the court, hustle for loose balls, square up and take only good shots, control the tempo, watch the shot clock and eliminate mental errors and unforced turnovers. Insert any of these during pregame and timeouts and you should be good to go.

No doubt! Recite after me: guard the 3 point shooters, own the paint, block out, hit the boards, run the court, hustle for loose balls, square up and take only good shots, control the tempo, watch the shot clock and eliminate mental errors and unforced turnovers. Insert any of these during pregame and timeouts and you should be good to go.
You are hired!!!

I don't much, but I know mediocre for the resources UT has to offer a woman's bb coach. There are probably at least 15 high school girl coaches in the state of Tennessee that could have won more with what Holly has had to work with.

Reactions: mcannon1
The bad part is that will take something far worse than what we've been watching! By then it will take years to rebuild, but if they planned it right and lined up a good hire before hand.... Nevermind, UT would never do that.

Reactions: olddog
Firing in WCBB usually only comes due to a scandal, not usually over performance. The fact is most AD's don't care what happens with the sport because very rarely has it ever been revenue producing for the school. College basketball even on the men's side is rarely revenue producing and UConn and Tennessee are the only schools ever in the history of WCBB to have had revenue producing years. Even for them it has only happened a hand full of years total.

She is not going anywhere. It would cost them money they don't want to spend and likely they don't feel it necessary. Look at it this way, if Duke hasn't fired JPM what makes you think Tennessee is gonna fire Holly? I don't see it happening, EVER. She's an excellent recruiter, she was born in Tennessee, raised in Tennessee, and graduated from Tennessee, shes worked for the University for a gazillion years. She has a banner or jersey in the rafters. She played professionally and has ties to USAB. All that looks good enough to an AD for this particular sport. There's no way they would let her go.

She will retire @ Tennessee and then another Tennessee grad will take over from there. I don't think the administration or those with the "powers that be" would have it any other way no matter what you've seen the last few years.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Holly is in a danger zone right here. I never thought I would say this but she might be lucky to last through this season. She might get one more game to go out on a win. Then the end.

Hasn't Lawson stated on several occasions that she has no interest in coaching?

No way would Walz leave Louisville, a very successful program that he has built. Besides, his current salary is $1.15 mil plus a possible performance bonus of another $250K. In order to get Walz UT would have to go well beyond that.

The same argument is true for Staley. She is very well paid and coaches a very successful program that she built. When you think USC WCBB Staley's name immediately comes to mind just as Pat Summitt's did when she coached UT.

I think you might be wrong with Jeff Walz. He is one of the best coaches in todays game Young enough to get it done and old enough to know all about what the Lady Vols were. He is also somewhat cocky and you need that at this level. He is tried and proven and ripe to leave a school thats been mired in more scandals than he cares to deal with would be my guess. He can rebuild the Lady Vols and quickly.

Also hearing there will be at least one departure after this year is done. Dont shoot the messenger.

why would jeff walz leave Louisville to join Tennessee?

Louisville a good program.... we have fallen last decade.... is he supposed to be attracted by the history?

Holly is making 700K he is doing considerably better than that.... will we pay what he is making now...

remember when Urban Meyer was at Utah and the hot recruit.... Notre Dame was wooing him.... but he went to Florida....

it is not a realistic option for Jeff W to come to LVs.....

why would jeff walz leave Louisville to join Tennessee?

Louisville a good program.... we have fallen last decade.... is he supposed to be attracted by the history?

Holly is making 700K he is doing considerably better than that.... will we pay what he is making now...

remember when Urban Meyer was at Utah and the hot recruit.... Notre Dame was wooing him.... but he went to Florida....

it is not a realistic option for Jeff W to come to LVs.....
I think you hire a coach like the one at North Carolina State. He seems to be an up and comer who knows how to develope players. He has done an excellent job with one, two and three stars and he would cost less money than a high priced coach from a perennial powerhouse. I think you get him for Holly money, or less. Tennessee still has the mystique to draw top recruits as compared to North Carolina State. All Tennessee needs is a REAL head coach.

I can't wish for another bammer win over our ladies, but I want whatever it takes to get a real coach.

Firing in WCBB usually only comes due to a scandal, not usually over performance. The fact is most AD's don't care what happens with the sport because very rarely has it ever been revenue producing for the school. College basketball even on the men's side is rarely revenue producing and UConn and Tennessee are the only schools ever in the history of WCBB to have had revenue producing years. Even for them it has only happened a hand full of years total.

She is not going anywhere. It would cost them money they don't want to spend and likely they don't feel it necessary. Look at it this way, if Duke hasn't fired JPM what makes you think Tennessee is gonna fire Holly? I don't see it happening, EVER. She's an excellent recruiter, she was born in Tennessee, raised in Tennessee, and graduated from Tennessee, shes worked for the University for a gazillion years. She has a banner or jersey in the rafters. She played professionally and has ties to USAB. All that looks good enough to an AD for this particular sport. There's no way they would let her go.

She will retire @ Tennessee and then another Tennessee grad will take over from there. I don't think the administration or those with the "powers that be" would have it any other way no matter what you've seen the last few years.

This is my prediction as well. The administration will view her as "good enough", and she will continue to lead Tennessee to mediocrity. By the time she decides to hang it up, they will be a middle of the pack SEC team while SC and MSST continue as the conference powerhouses. I'd like to think that a losing SEC record (or even failing to secure a NCAAT bid ) would be a catalyst for change, but I doubt it. We're pretty much stuck with her until she decides otherwise.

This is my prediction as well. The administration will view her as "good enough", and she will continue to lead Tennessee to mediocrity. By the time she decides to hang it up, they will be a middle of the pack SEC team while SC and MSST continue as the conference powerhouses. I'd like to think that a losing SEC record (or even failing to secure a NCAAT bid ) would be a catalyst for change, but I doubt it. We're pretty much stuck with her until she decides otherwise.
Right, and she is in good health so I'm thinking minimum shes got 8-10 more years. They haven't finished well in SEC play the last few years and I am not sure what happens this year but next year could be special. It just kind of hard to predict things this early. I am not even really sure I know what to expect the rest of this year but her being let go won't happen that's for sure. I think the only way they miss an NCAA bid ever is if she stops recruiting well because usually the SEC gets 8 teams in pretty much year in and year out, 6 in a really down year. There is no way w/ the talent they bring in they could ever finish below 8.

VN Store

Back