New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

The past results can't be argued - CRB is hitting on a little over 1/2 his signees. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Gaines doesn't end up in the 1/2 that didn't pan out. He's painfully thin and doesn't appear to have filled out any to speak of since we first saw him on this forum. Makes me think that's his natural build and it will be difficult to overcome nature. Can't recall anyone that thin being too effective in the SEC? Hope I'm misguided and Gaines muscles up enough to be a player and has a great career at UT....TIFWIW, JMO, AARP
Just for reference. Jordan McRae was 6’6 180 coming out out of high school. Jalen Johnson was 6’6 170. Davonte was 6’7 175. Having muscles in a power 5 conference doesn’t mean as much with the way College basketball is played. I’m 100% positive that he will get stronger once in the weight program and be fine. We don’t need him to be scoring 20 a game either lol.

JP Prince was a 5 star stud who didnt quite live up to the hype.

Gaines is a 3 star project who nobody good but us wanted.
Prince was a PG who good only drive to one side of the floor. Once that was figured out he never played PG again. The rest of his career was learning a new role. Had his HS coaches recognized this he could have done this earlier.

Gaines is a very teachable gym rat. Good attitude. Does it all already. A little Meck muscle and he'll be a phenom at TN. Could even grow another inch or two. Can't wait to see him play.

Reactions: Special Ed
Watching that highlight and certainly pleasantly surprised. See no reason he can't develop into a good contributor. Shot form looks good enough to improve if he puts in the work (not nearly as broken as the oft referred to Prince) and has the length and obv the hustle and functional basketball IQ based on how he fills the stat sheet in secondary stats.

If any school hits on half their recruits that is a success. Barnes is way higher then 50%.
I was gonna ask the same, what is an acceptable rate? No school bats .1000%, given our success and attrition rate I would say Barnes and staff are doing a pretty solid job evaluating guys.

JP Prince was a 5 star stud who didnt quite live up to the hype.

Gaines is a 3 star project who nobody good but us wanted.

If Prince had any jumper at all he would've been an NBA player. He did alot of things extremely well, I think if he "lived up to the hype" / had a jumper he would've been a one and done.

Reactions: wmcovol
He transferred here. Was it Arizona, man I can't remember, maybe Memphis ? Too much weed. He could play, THO. When Prince was at his best, UT was one Draymond Green coast to coast drive after a missed FT by Hopson, away from being a Final Four team and he was the main reason, imo

Reactions: wmcovol
He transferred here. Was it Arizona, man I can't remember, maybe Memphis ? Too much weed. He could play, THO. When Prince was at his best, UT was one Draymond Green coast to coast drive after a missed FT by Hopson, away from being a Final Four team and he was the main reason, imo
Yeah...Arizona.

It was Arizona. He went to high school in Memphis at White Station. He was a teammate of Bradshaw in high school.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back