New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

Gaines has the tools. He is long. He can handle the ball and shoot. I am looking forward to seeing him in orange. This is another example of Barnes being able to spot good talent.

You'd prefer a JP-level player to a JRich-level player?
Not the finish product of both, that's JRich all day. I was meaning straight potential as a senior in HS. If a guy with JPs frame has the same work ethic and want to as JRich, I think he would have a higher ceiling than JRich. If that makes sense... it made sense in my head, but that doesn't mean anything sometimes. lol

Reactions: StrangeVol
Not the finish product of both, that's JRich all day. I was meaning straight potential as a senior in HS. If a guy with JPs frame has the same work ethic and want to as JRich, I think he would have a higher ceiling than JRich. If that makes sense... it made sense in my head, but that doesn't mean anything sometimes. lol
No, makes sense. Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. When I first thought you were saying you’d prefer a SR Prince to a SR JRich, I bout brought out my anti-JP agenda from the closet. Haven’t needed to dust that one off in a while.

No, makes sense. Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. When I first thought you were saying you’d prefer a SR Prince to a SR JRich, I bout brought out my anti-JP agenda from the closet. Haven’t needed to dust that one off in a while.
hahaha

Yup. How quick people forget we were co-SEC champs and are a preseason Top 10 team this coming year.
That’s the nature of the beast.
Recruiting is the only thing you really have to gauge future expectations. Barnes success at UTdidn’t happen overnight. I don’t think MSUs or LSUs will either. But, on paper, they have a higher ceiling. If a few of the teams start hitting their potential it will make for a much tougher road this year.

Reactions: Catbone
That’s the nature of the beast.
Recruiting is the only thing you really have to gauge future expectations. Barnes success at UTdidn’t happen overnight. I don’t think MSUs or LSUs will either. But, on paper, they have a higher ceiling. If a few of the teams start hitting their potential it will make for a much tougher road this year.
The best judge for future expectations is past results...I would take out situation over LSU’s or Mississippi State’s.

Has anyone been able to find stats for Gaines? I noticed he is playing some point guard. He needs the weightroom badly. Gaines is knocked down three times in probably the first three minutes in the first video below.

Last edited:
So Gaines is a wiry 3 with no outside shot right?

A slasher.
That outside shot is improving. He’s definitely more of a slasher, but any outside threat will open his game more.

The biggest draw is the wiry buying into defense.

Update: Gaines is 6'8 now and still trying to add weight. He might be really good in 2 years if his body develops.

Phenom's Open Gym Tour - Hargrave Military (Chatham, Va) - Phenom Hoop Report
Will be interesting to see as the roster is filling with projects. Kent, Pember, Gaines, Johnson.
Granted, UT stands to return everyone next year minus Admiral. So, that does afford some time, but where is the future point guard? Don’t understand signing two similar players in Gaines and Pember and not using one of those spots for a legit PG. That means you’ll be signing one next year to replace two seniors. I understand the more with less, but this seems like very poor roster management.

I’ll be curious to see how Gaines does his senior year. His last rating was in the mid 300s but he does have advantage of playing really good competition. I didn’t even see a ranking from Rivals and his offer list is laughable apart from UT.

VN Store

Back