New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

Will be interesting to see as the roster is filling with projects. Kent, Pember, Gaines, Johnson.
Granted, UT stands to return everyone next year minus Admiral. So, that does afford some time, but where is the future point guard? Don’t understand signing two similar players in Gaines and Pember and not using one of those spots for a legit PG. That means you’ll be signing one next year to replace two seniors. I understand the more with less, but this seems like very poor roster management.

I’ll be curious to see how Gaines does his senior year. His last rating was in the mid 300s but he does have advantage of playing really good competition. I didn’t even see a ranking from Rivals and his offer list is laughable apart from UT.

I’ve had the same take on our PG situation, or really guard situation in general...you lose Bone, Turner and Bowden in 2 years and have nobody seemingly ready to replace them, hopefully Josiah James stays 2-3 years but the possibility of him be one and done is there. With that said my guess is you’re going to see the staff evaluate guards during this season and if a spot comes open they will look at add someone in the spring.

It’s also worth noting Keon Johnson & Jaden Springer are their 2 biggest targets for 2020 and both play guard positions so maybe they feel seeking them on immediate playing time is a big positive in their recruitments of those guys.

Gaines is definitely going to be interesting to see what he becomes, Tennessee offered very early on and he committed, unlike in football typically offers and recruiting pretty much stops when you commit so I don’t read much into his offer list.

His senior year was last year, he is doing a post grad year this year. Last year, he had 11 triple doubles and 4 Quadruple doubles. In one game, he had something like 20 points 13 steals 11 assists and 10 rebounds. He is a complete basketball player who only needs to gain weight to be a player who can help us wins lots of games!!!!

Jerry Meyer was on Basilio’s show today...

Very high on Gaines, says he really likes his long term potential and thinks he can be a really good player. Obviously needs to hit the weight room but if he redshirts that shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Jerry Meyer was on Basilio’s show today...

Very high on Gaines, says he really likes his long term potential and thinks he can be a really good player. Obviously needs to hit the weight room but if he redshirts that shouldn’t be a problem at all.
Boom.

Gaines can play. Will produce in the SEC for UT in 2 or 3 years. I have no doubt and more importantly, Barnes has no doubt

Devonte Gaines’ versatility.
Whenever I saw the Tennessee commit back in July, I was a bit perplexed about his long-term value and potential at a program like UT. A few months later and I see it now. Sure, Gaines needs more time to develop his skillset and, even more so, have the right weight room and nutrition program afforded to get his body where it needs to be for the rigors of the SEC. However, the lefty’s diverse shot-making prowess and willingness to guard three positions should acclimate well to Rocky Top beginning in the years ahead.

BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - National Prep Showcase Saturday: Recruiting intel & things we liked

My brain:
Don't say it
Don't say it
Don't say it

Me:reminds me of a less polished KD.

I still think jp is a good comp, although I will admit those highlights make his shot look much better than jp’s. He’s never a guy likely to average 10+ppg, but much like JP I could see him being a 9ppg 5rpg 4apg 2spg 2bpg guy that can defend 1-4 and facilitate an offense if needed.

I still think jp is a good comp, although I will admit those highlights make his shot look much better than jp’s. He’s never a guy likely to average 10+ppg, but much like JP I could see him being a 9ppg 5rpg 4apg 2spg 2bpg guy that can defend 1-4 and facilitate an offense if needed.
JP is who I see. Lefty, very thin, odd-looking shot (though not as odd as JP's), very athletic, slasher.

I like like the JP comp too, but you brought up both things that make him seem better:
Gaines shot is much better at this point in their careers
And he fills a stat sheet better than JP

With his length and quickness, I can easily see Barnes turning him into a defensive stopper against other teams guards.

JP Prince was a 5 star stud who didnt quite live up to the hype.

Gaines is a 3 star project who nobody good but us wanted.
If Barnes and the guys he’s brought in bought into your projection stance, they wouldn’t be top 5 in the country.

The past results can't be argued - CRB is hitting on a little over 1/2 his signees. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Gaines doesn't end up in the 1/2 that didn't pan out. He's painfully thin and doesn't appear to have filled out any to speak of since we first saw him on this forum. Makes me think that's his natural build and it will be difficult to overcome nature. Can't recall anyone that thin being too effective in the SEC? Hope I'm misguided and Gaines muscles up enough to be a player and has a great career at UT....TIFWIW, JMO, AARP

The past results can't be argued - CRB is hitting on a little over 1/2 his signees. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Gaines doesn't end up in the 1/2 that didn't pan out. He's painfully thin and doesn't appear to have filled out any to speak of since we first saw him on this forum. Makes me think that's his natural build and it will be difficult to overcome nature. Can't recall anyone that thin being too effective in the SEC? Hope I'm misguided and Gaines muscles up enough to be a player and has a great career at UT....TIFWIW, JMO, AARP

D.J. Burns - ??
Derrick Walker - HIT
Yves Pons - HIT
Zach Kent - ??
Chris Darrington - MISS
James Daniel - HIT
Jalen Johnson - ??
Jordan Bone - HIT
Kwe Parker - MISS
Grant Williams - HIT
John Fulkerson - HIT
Jordan Bowden - HIT