Neal Brown HC at Troy

Great hire if done but not going to happen as he makes almost $1.4 million per year with bonuses.

Wow. One whopping year at UK. Man thats a lot of experience right there. The only reason anyone really knows this guys name is because Troy upset LSU by playong the game if their life. He has a seasoned OC thats been there for years.

Its more than none.

I don't think he leaves his job for this one, but if you don't think he would be a good hire for us as an OC, you're dum.

Back in 1990, Larry Lacewell left his HC position at Arkansas State to become Tennessee's DC.
Arkansas State was Division I-AA at the time. Dave Clawson another example. Troy is FBS and a negligible step below Boise State and UCF...apple to elderberries.

Reactions: igotworms
I don’t. Enos isn’t a “trend”...Scott Satterfield is.
Pruitt, Smart, Orgeron, Moorhead, Luke, Morris, Stoops, Mason, Odam, Mullen, and Muschamp were all assistants immediately prior to becoming an SEC head coach. Every head coach in the SEC other than Saban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Pruitt, Smart, Malzahn, Orgeron, Moorhead, Luke, Morris, Stoops, Mason, Odam, and Mullen were all OCs immediately prior to becoming an SEC head coach. Every head coach in the SEC other than Saban.
You’re way off...in too many ways. Pruitt, Smart, Orgeron, Stoops, Mason and Odom were defensive coaches. Orgeron wasn’t a coordinator at USC when he got the Ole Miss gig or at LSU when he was promoted to HC (that would’ve pissed Aranda off) and Malzahn wasn’t “immediately” a HC at Auburn...he was at Arkansas State first. And NONE of that has anything to do with Neal Brown dropping down from a decent program that he’s excelling at to take a coordinator position to try to land a better HC job. Where are the Goody powders?

if I was Brown you'd have to pay me 1.5 mil, at least, to come here...he's had very good seasons at Troy as a HC...why would he come here to be an OC...like I said you'd be paying me big bucks to come to this rebuild...I still wouldn't do it...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Neal Brown is the real deal - would be a coup if he came here.

You’re way off...in too many ways. Pruitt, Smart, Orgeron, Stoops, Mason and Odom were defensive coaches. Orgeron wasn’t a coordinator at USC when he got the Ole Miss gig or at LSU when he was promoted to HC (that would’ve pissed Aranda off) and Malzahn wasn’t “immediately” a HC at Auburn...he was at Arkansas State first. And NONE of that has anything to do with Neal Brown dropping down from a decent program that he’s excelling at to take a coordinator position to try to land a better HC job. Where are the Goody powders?
I left “or DCs” out of my post. Doesn’t change the point. I did forget about Malzahn’s stint at Arkansas State though. I also didn't include Muschamp or Fisher, who were both coordinators when they received their first big offers. That's 11 out of 14 head coaches in the SEC who were assistants prior to getting their first big head coaching job. The poster that said the trend is that big schools are hiring hot coordinators to be their head coach is absolutely correct.

Kingsburuy knows it, Freeze knows it, and Neal Brown knows it. All of them will be hit with big offers if they do well as OCs next year. Troy isn’t getting better so if Brown hasn’t received a big offer already, why should he expect one if he stays at Troy?

You pointed to Satterfield, but he didn’t get a big job. He got Louisville and it took him 6 years of being Appalachian State's head coach to get it. Sorry to hear you are out of Goody powders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LittleVol
I left “or DCs” out of my post. Doesn’t change the point. I did forget about Malzahn’s stint at Arkansas State though. I also didn't include Muschamp or Fisher, who were both coordinators when they received their first big offers. That's 11 out of 14 head coaches in the SEC who were assistants prior to getting their first big head coaching job. The poster that said the trend is that big schools are hiring hot coordinators to be their head coach is absolutely correct.

Kingsburuy knows it, Freeze knows it, and Neal Brown knows it. All of them will be hit with big offers if they do well as OCs next year. Troy isn’t getting better so if Brown hasn’t received a big offer already, why should he expect one if he stays at Troy?

You pointed to Satterfield, but he didn’t get a big job. He got Louisville and it took him 6 years of being Appalachian State's head coach to get it. Sorry to hear you are out of Goody powders.
At some point Saban was an assistant before he became a HC...it’s called HOW THINGS ARE DONE. That’s not what’s being discussed. How many SEC HC’s have voluntarily stepped down from a FBS program to take an OC or DC job and then leveraged a P5 HC gig? Moorehead comes closest but he still doesn’t qualify for what’s being proposed for Brown. 0 means no TREND.

Louisville is a P5 job. Obviously not up to your standard but a jump (if successful) from there to a destination is still more likely than GOING BACK to coordinator. I think the main issue is people are conflating the Vols status with Bama. Yeah Bama is a coach’s factory...we’re not! Our best example of grooming a coordinator for HC is Cut...and he’s at DUKE! Before that, Walt Harris jumped for his alma mater Pacific (which doesn’t play football anymore) and turned THAT stint into Pitt. Neal Brown is smart enough to recognize that even if we’re not. A “hot coordinator” is one thing...a HC who goes BACKWARDS leaves questions to an employer.

At some point Saban was an assistant before he became a HC...it’s called HOW THINGS ARE DONE. That’s not what’s being discussed. How many SEC HC’s have voluntarily stepped down from a FBS program to take an OC or DC job and then leveraged a P5 HC gig? Moorehead comes closest but he still doesn’t qualify for what’s being proposed for Brown. 0 means no TREND.
What's being discussed is @Dustin4Vols comment that Neal Brown would have a better shot at getting a head coaching job at a big school if he were to take a coordinator job at a big school rather than remaining a head coach at a small school. The trend he was talking about was the trend of big schools hiring hot coordinators rather than small school head coaches. I've given you evidence of that trend. Not sure why you refuse to see it and frankly I don't care. You can argue with the wall if you'd like, but I've got nothing more to add.

Neal Brown isn't stepping down from his HC gig at Troy to be an OC at a mid-to-bottom-tier SEC school in its third rebuild in the the last decade who has to play Alabama, Georgia, and Florida every year. He's not going to tank his career with that sort of move.

He'll have another good year in 2019, and some P5 school will give him a shot as a head coach.

Last edited:
Neal Brown isn't stepping down from his HC gig at Troy to be an OC at a mid-to-bottom-tier SEC school in its third rebuild in the the last decade who has to play Alabama, Georgia, and Florida every year. He's not going to tank his career with that sort of move.

He'll have another good year in 2019, and some P5 school will give him a shot as a head coach.

True, we'd have a better shot at Bill Clark than Brown.

Brown got passed over for the K-State job. Why not upgrade the 800k salary by 50% and come here. I could see it.

Pruitt, Smart, Orgeron, Moorhead, Luke, Morris, Stoops, Mason, Odam, Mullen, and Muschamp were all assistants immediately prior to becoming an SEC head coach. Every head coach in the SEC other than Saban.
Didnt morris head coach at tulsa?

No offense guys, but...You don't honestly believe this has even remotely realistic chance of happening do you?....Dude has it cooking at Troy right now and interviewed for and almost was hired at a Power 5 school with a solid recent tradition of winning and going to bowl games.

He was actually one of the handful of coaches I wouldn't have been appalled we hired as head coach during last years coaching carousel.

No offense guys, but...You don't honestly believe this has even remotely realistic chance of happening do you?....Dude has it cooking at Troy right now and interviewed for and almost was hired at a Power 5 school with a solid recent tradition of winning and going to bowl games.

He was actually one of the handful of coaches I wouldn't have been appalled we hired as head coach during last years coaching carousel.
There were people that actually thought Gruden was coming here so.....

VN Store

Back