NCAA Tournament: Sunday Edition

What in the hell is your avatar?

I'm surprised it took someone this long to ask me that. It is a detailed view of the mouth parts of a stonefly (genus Neoperla). I took the photo through a microscope when I was in graduate school.

I'm surprised it took someone this long to ask me that. It is a detailed view of the mouth parts of a stonefly (genus Neoperla). I took the photo through a microscope when I was in graduate school.

That's pretty f'ed up, man.

Duke, Carolina, and State may very well go to the Final 4. WTF?

It's probably the "latest flavor of the week" NCAA bball observer in me, but I now think we're looking at a NC State, Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona Final Four.

Carolina can beat Wisconsin, but, even so, I don't think we'll pull both Wisconsin and Arizona back-to-back. That's asking too much of Jekyll and Hyde.

Virginia, of all teams, had to eff up the ACC train, but 11-1 thus far ain't too shabby.

It's probably the "latest flavor of the week" NCAA bball observer in me, but I now think we're looking at a NC State, Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona Final Four.

Carolina can beat Wisconsin, but, even so, I don't think we'll pull both Wisconsin and Arizona back-to-back. That's asking too much of Jekyll and Hyde.

If I was picking my Final 4 right now, I probably would go with UK, Duke, Arizona, and NC State as well.

My totally unbiased :):) thoughts from here on out:

Sweet 16
UK/West Virginia - Cal gets revenge for 2010. WVU just doesn't match up with the Cats.
Notre Dame/Wichita State - Notre Dame has the size, the Shockers have the tenacity and speed. WSU in a close one.
Wisconsin/UNC - Ole Roy's luck just runs out against the Fighting Bo Ryans. As has been stated, UNC is Jeckyll/Hyde this year, and inconsistency will bite you in the butt.
NC State/Cards -Conference showdown, but Pitino > Gottfried.
Oklahoma/Mich State - Never doubt Izzo. OU has been good, but this is the end, my friend.
Duke/Utah - Dook, easily.
UCLA/Zags - Why is UCLA still in this? Weren't they one of the last teams in? Well, they're the next team out.

Elite 8
Cats/Wichy State- Rematch from last year, but WSU doesn't have Cleanthony Early anymore.
Wisky/Arizona - Cats by a whisker over Wisky. They haven't faced an athletic team of AZ's caliber.
Duke/Zags- Now I gotta go wash out my mouth.
Tards/Michigan State - Izzo is a fine coach, but somehow, Loserville keeps winning.

Final 4:
Kentucky/Arizona - Tough game, probably should be the national championship, but I think that we wear them down in the 2nd half.
Dook/Louisville - Should be yet another good one, and somehow Louisville pulls it out. Pitino purges the demons from '92.

Championship:
Kentucky/Louisville - Damn, that is Armageddon. The state will explode over that one, won't it. **** the Cards. Cal just has Pitino's number. Cats hang #9.

Totally unbiased, my ***, but that would be fun.

Sweet 16
UK/West Virginia - Cal gets revenge for 2010. WVU just doesn't match up with the Cats.
Notre Dame/Wichita State - Notre Dame has the size, the Shockers have the tenacity and speed. WSU in a close one.
Wisconsin/UNC - Ole Roy's luck just runs out against the Fighting Bo Ryans. As has been stated, UNC is Jeckyll/Hyde this year, and inconsistency will bite you in the butt.
Oklahoma/Mich State - Never doubt Izzo. OU has been good, but this is the end, my friend.
UCLA/Zags - Why is UCLA still in this? Weren't they one of the last teams in? Well, they're the next team out.

Elite 8
Cats/Wichy State- Rematch from last year, but WSU doesn't have Cleanthony Early anymore.
Wisky/Arizona - Cats by a whisker over Wisky. They haven't faced an athletic team of AZ's caliber.
Tards/Michigan State - Izzo is a fine coach, but somehow, Loserville keeps winning.

Final 4:
Kentucky/Arizona - Tough game, probably should be the national championship, but I think that we wear them down in the 2nd half.
Dook/Louisville - Should be yet another good one, and somehow Louisville pulls it out. Pitino purges the demons from '92.

Championship:
Kentucky/Louisville - Damn, that is Armageddon. The state will explode over that one, won't it. **** the Cards. Cal just has Pitino's number. Cats hang #9.

I agree until the Final Four. I got Arizona over Your Blue Crew & Dook over Loserville.

S16:

UK over WVU - I have a bet going that UK beats everyone up to the Final Four by at least 12 points. I'll stick with it here.
Wichita over ND - When in doubt, go with the guy who's actually been to an Elite Eight.
Louisville over NCSU - The stats I have on hand disagree with this, but two things: NCSU defense is one of the worst in the nation at creating turnovers and while they're above average on the offensive boards, Louisville has Harrell/Onuaku/Mathiang to combat that. It just seems like a poor matchup for State to me.
OU over Mich State - Only because I picked OU to beat UVA, but also because I think this is the more likely outcome. MSU has the size advantage, but they don't force turnovers. OU is the better guarding team and in a close game, the fact that they shoot free throws 11% better than MSU will matter.
Duke over Utah, despite Utah's defense essentially being built to beat Duke.
Gonzaga over UCLA - For UCLA to have any chance late in this game, they must come out firing - lots of off-ball screens to get Alford/Looney/Hamilton open.
UNC over Wisconsin - Oregon gave everyone the path to contend with Wisconsin in doubling Kaminsky. UNC just has the offensive rebounding and scorers to actually do it.
Arizona over Xavier - Xavier's a nice story and all and I like Chris Mack, but I can't see how they stay within 15 by the buzzer.

Sweet 16

Elite 8

Final 4:

Championship:

Cal got revenge in 2011. An announcer in the WVU game last night said the last time UK-WVU met WVU ended UK's F4 chances. He clearly forgot they met the next season in the round of 32 and UK won by like 8.

You can never get enough revenge against Huggy Bear.

Cal got revenge in 2011. An announcer in the WVU game last night said the last time UK-WVU met WVU ended UK's F4 chances. He clearly forgot they met the next season in the round of 32 and UK won by like 8.

They lie. It's naught but a money grab/made-for-tv setup.

The whole thing is a farce in seeding and selecting. IU and TX were deemed worthy of selection because they played in a tough conference, despite losing most RPI 50 games, according to Seth Davis. But Nova wasn't worthy of a 1 seed because all their tough games occured in conference, according to Seth Davis. Good thing the media isn't on the selection committee.

The worst is people saying UCLA's two wins validates them for being in the tourney. Even if they had beaten good team (which they didn't), they have no reason for being in it.

The worst is people saying UCLA's two wins validates them for being in the tourney. Even if they had beaten good team (which they didn't), they have no reason for being in it.

That's my one problem with the tournament. It diminishes the value of the regular season. If NC State beats UK in the finals they're deemed national champions and get a fancy trophy. Will anyone really believe they're better overall than a 39-1 UK team? Doubt it. They were just better on that one day. Meanwhile UK would've handidly beaten TX, UCLA, UofL, UNC etc in the regular season and it's all for naught.

VN Store

Back