NCAA Tournament: Sunday Edition

That's my one problem with the tournament. It diminishes the value of the regular season. If NC State beats UK in the finals they're deemed national champions and get a fancy trophy. Will anyone really believe they're better overall than a 39-1 UK team? Doubt it. They were just better on that one day. Meanwhile UK would've handidly beaten TX, UCLA, UofL, UNC etc in the regular season and it's all for naught.

I know what you're saying, but the same could be said about the Giants beating the undefeated Pats. The only reason the field has a chance versus UK is because it's a one and done scenario. No way anyone beats UK in a 7 game series.

I know what you're saying, but the same could be said about the Giants beating the undefeated Pats. The only reason the field has a chance versus UK is because it's a one and done scenario. No way anyone beats UK in a 7 game series.

I'd call the winning team the NCAA tournament champion rather than the national champion. The one difference in NFL playoffs, is you're seeded by a measurable prior performance. If you finish 2nd in your league, you're the 2 seed. I don't know how you'd do it, but the seeding, match-ups, and even selection is so subjective.

Football used to crown a champion before the bowls right? Did basketball ever do the same before tournies? The only issue with crowing a regular season champ is you'll end up with a UK vs UVA situation. Is 30-0 in the SEC better than 28-2 in the ACC? Would basically be a coin flip. The NCAA Tournament is a good way to see who is for real when playing teams for life/death to me.

Football used to crown a champion before the bowls right? Did basketball ever do the same before tournies? The only issue with crowing a regular season champ is you'll end up with a UK vs UVA situation. Is 30-0 in the SEC better than 28-2 in the ACC? Would basically be a coin flip. The NCAA Tournament is a good way to see who is for real when playing teams for life/death to me.

Yes, concerning your question about football.

And, concerning your question about bball, before the tourney started in the late 30s/early 40s (somewhere in there), various organizations/publications named their national title winner. For instance, UNC has a Helms national title from 1924. Just one example. There are numerous more for multiple teams.

For as much grief as the systems get, both fball and bball championship decision making is much better now. No system is perfect, but our current systems are a whole lot better than what existed before what I would call the "championship consolidation" period.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back